SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brownells donates AR-15s for Bismarck ND schools
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brownells donates AR-15s for Bismarck ND schools Login/Join 
posted
Way to go, Pete!

https://bismarcktribune.com/ne...source=home-trending

Company donates AR-15s for Bismarck schools

BLAIR EMERSON Bismarck Tribune
Sep 27, 2018 Updated Sep 27, 2018

An Iowa firearms company has donated nine AR-15s to the Bismarck Police Department for school resource officers.

Last month, the Bismarck Police Department requested funds to purchase AR-15s and other equipment for SROs.

News of the police department's request for the rifles spread across the country and eventually caught the eye of several firearms companies, including Brownells, which donated the AR-15s to the department.

"We had an outpouring of support from even individuals, (one who) called from, I think, he was from Virginia and wanted to donate his personal rifle to the project," said Bismarck police deputy chief Jason Stugelmeyer.

After the Feb. 14 shooting in Parkland, Fla., Bismarck police and Bismarck Public Schools considered ways SROs could be better prepared for school shootings, Stugelmeyer said previously.

In Bismarck, there are six SROs at the public high schools and middle schools, as well as the private Catholic high school. They carry handguns, but Stugelmeyer had said an AR-15 would be more beneficial in situations where they might have to shoot from far away.

The total cost for the AR-15s, gun safes, bulletproof vests and medical kits to treat gunshot wounds totaled more than $25,000. Bismarck police and Bismarck Public Schools agreed to split the cost, with no district funding being provided for the firearms purchase.

Ryan Repp, director of content and communications for Iowa-based Brownells, said company officials heard about Bismarck Police Department's request and wanted to help.

"We have made donations to police departments around the country, if we hear that they're in need and we have the opportunity to help," Repp said. "I don't know that any of (our donations) were earmarked for SROs, necessarily. But law enforcement support is something near and dear to us."

Brownells donated the AR-15s, which Repp estimated were valued at about $520 each, hundreds of dollars worth of custom parts and an $1,800 firearm kit.

The donation allowed the Bismarck Police Department to spend more on medical kits, Stugelmeyer said. Instead of one kit that could treat one or two people, now kits that can treat up to 16 will be purchased.

The police department already has received the AR-15s from Brownells, according to Stugelmeyer. This allows the rifles to get into the hands of SROs faster, as the police department wouldn't have received the city funds until January.

"With the support, we'll be able to get the project out quicker, and we'll be able to have a more robust medical kit that we really wouldn't have had the budget for otherwise, without the donation," he said.

On Tuesday, Bismarck city commissioners approved the city's 2019 budget and the police department's funding request.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Great to hear. Now order something from Brownell's today and let them know you appreciate what they did and do. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I should see what I need for parts, place an order and put "Thank you for Bismarck" in the comment section.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our SROs just had safes put in their offices containing an AR, Go-Bag, and helmet. The unmarked cars they are issued for school duty had no provisions to secure an AR. Besides, when you in a school it is probably much easier to get to your office than going outside getting what you need from your car and then hoping you can even get back into the school.

The schools just put in these huge trauma/first aid kits in the schools.

Good for Bismarck and good on Brownell’s!!!

Posts: 4057 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Great to hear. Now order something from Brownell's today and let them know you appreciate what they did and do. Wink

Twist my arm why don't ya! Wink
Done.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple of items in my Brownells cart for a while. Looks like it's time to place the order and thank them.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! My son goes to one of them so I ha happy that they are finally getting them. I was involved in some debate about weather they should be allowed to have them!!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post