SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SDR (Software Defined Radio) for laptop...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SDR (Software Defined Radio) for laptop... Login/Join 
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted
The two concurrently running threads on HAM/GMRS radios have brought up another subject which I am interested in, and I just discovered a YouTube video on it that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Since this is technically a different (though related) subject to the HAM and GMRS radio threads (now separated), I decided to post this separately.

Basically, the SDR allows you to use your laptop (and I'm sure some other similar devices) as a full-spectrum radio scanner, and is not limited in the same way most of the HAM or GMRS handhelds are. Below is the link to the device itself on Amazon that I recently purchased, followed by the link to the YouTube video. Included in that video is a link to a good software to make use of the device, as well as another video describing how to properly use the device driver so you don't mess up anything on your computer.

SDR Kit on Amazon

Edit to add: I realize the SDR kit has at least been mentioned before in one of the two referenced threads, but so far nobody is actively talking about it and discussing its use further, so that is why I've started this new thread on it! If it has been actively discussed and I somehow missed it, please let me know WHERE I missed it and I will ask Para to close this thread. Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bronicabill,

Posts: 4788 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://www.nooelec.com/store/...dr-transceivers.html

Any transmission on amateur bands requires a permission slip from the teacher and hall monitor.

www.arrl.org.

www.hamstudy.org

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5216 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
This doesn't transmit... it is for reception only!

Posts: 4788 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post