SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any special meals coming up?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any special meals coming up? Login/Join 
posted
Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, this time of year is a great excuse to get together with family & friends and make some special dishes or, whole meals.

Every year over the last 5-years, I've been making a porchetta roast for the family. Roast potatoes and root vegetables with a crab salad in a light vinaigrette to help cut through the heavy dishes.

All the familiar sweets, from fruit cake, a big box of See's candies, gingerbread homemade cookies to Italian specialties like pannetonne and panforte, along with some rich hot chocolate for the kids.

What will you be cooking or, eating the next few days?

Posts: 14669 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Big Christmas meal in the works.

Elk backstrap, brussell sprouts, new potatoes.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Alaskan king crab legs for Christmas dinner...4 hours and counting.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steak on the grill Wednesday which was the last decent day around here.
2 filets last night with asparagus in cast iron.
Today is Prime Rib with my family. Potatoes, veggies, bread and more.
Tomorrow I'm laying low.
Sunday is more family that can't be here today with more filets.
Do love me some beef.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Yep.......
Prime Rib roast (gravy or horseradish sauce)
Scallops coated in butter and garlic
Stuffing with peppers, nuts, cranberries, broth, sausage, and onion
Deviled eggs
Sweet potatoes with brown and marshmallows
Rolls
Gravy for the stuffing

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14013 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
When I get off work, I'm going to thrown together whatever I have in the house and eat it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
The usual Christmas fare at my place...

13 lb Prime rib in the sous vide since 7 am. Will sear it in the oven after a 7 hour bath.

Mashed taters, gravy, sautéed mushrooms, green beans, corn, and rolls to round things out.

Pecan pie and vanilla ice cream for dessert.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10947 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now I've got a turkey breast and about 5# of standing rib roast smoking.

In a bit, we'll start making the twice baked potatoes from a Cowboy Kent Rollins recipe that we like and I'll make Yorkshire pudding.

This morning we had home made sourdough apple cinnamon rolls, another Kent Rollins recipe we discovered recently.

Posts: 928 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cooking 2 16lb Prime Rib, and oven full, that's for sure. Wife's doing twice baked taters. Oldest daughter brought shrimp, and I have no idea what others are bringing.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
13 lb Prime rib in the sous vide since 7 am. Will sear it in the oven after a 7 hour bath.

Didn't know they made vacuum seal bags that big Eek

Was at Costco earlier in the week, along with very nice prime rib roasts, they had quite a few rack of lamb and a rack of pork, each was about 8-ribs. Nice to see the other crown roasts getting some attention, I love me some beef but, the other meats are just as good.

Posts: 14669 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
Cooking 2 16lb Prime Rib, and oven full, that's for sure. Wife's doing twice baked taters. Oldest daughter brought shrimp, and I have no idea what others are bringing.

Two 16lb pounders......Who the heck are you feeding bro?

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14013 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
My Christmas dinner is finished and sitting here like a full dog tick. Pork tenderloins from oven cooked w/salt/pepper/worcestershire sauce, smothered okra and canned tomatoes, mashed potatoes w/gravy from tenderloins, dinner rolls with real butter and for desert a slice of pecan pie. Best part of the tenderloin will be sliced on toasted bread w/mayo and mustard for lunch tomorrow. .............. drill sgt.

Posts: 2018 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
We’re doing black garlic seared steak with homegrown horseradish, mashed potato and green onion cakes, and spinach salad followed by Christmas cookies for desert.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Posts: 618 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started early this morning with my well seasoned(rub) 7lb. Boston Butt into the smoker with hickory @ 225F. It will take most of the day, and I will let it rest for a least 1 hour. With this will be scalloped potatoes with bacon(of course) and a spinach bake with cheese and balsamic vinegar reduction. White pita bread.

Of course to utilize my smoker, one has to consume the obligatory HOT Bloody Mary to make sure that things come out correctly.

Chocolate cookie dough ice cream will finish it off.

I am looking forward to it all. Merry Christmas all!!

Posts: 6628 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
As we have done for the past 10-12 years, it's prime rib for Christmas dinner. Although past years where at my sons house, this year it's just the wife and I at home. Romaine salad baked potato loaded, spinach soufflé, fresh made rosemary roles and of course the prime cut prime rib. We got a small two rib roast this go-round @ about 4 lbs with the bones, but there still will be left-overs.

Start the diet tomorrow Frown

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Since it is just the wife and I, we decided to treat ourselves to a nice dinner and are headed to a fancy steakhouse this evening.

Posts: 1360 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Just had short ribs and twice baked potatoes. so good.

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Due to other family having been sick recently, we're down to 4 for dinner tonight. Normally, we do a prime rib - this year, I picked up some ribeyes. They are in the sous vide cooker right now. A cast iron pan is in the oven being seasoned. We're also having mashed potatoes, cranberries, salad, and pie. Simple, but nutritious.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Maybe not so fabulous after all
posted Hide Post
My wife has Ham, Scalloped Potatos, and a Green Bean Casserole in the over as I type this. I'm so hungry...

Posts: 127 | Registered: August 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Just ate 3 hot dogs with yellow mustard, and a dish of cold sauerkraut. Merry Christmas!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post