SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wool long underwear
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wool long underwear Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
My LLBean wool long johns are getting a little worn. Looking at getting a new set for Christmas.

I wear these under my uniform in the cold months to avoid wearing a coat unless totally necessary.

Right now I'm looking at Minus33 and Smartwool. Black in color. LLBean's selection isn't as good as the last time I shopped, and I can get better discounts with the other two.

Anyone bought any wool undies lately and able to give some recommendations outside of what I'm looking at? Bonus points if the shirt is a mock turtleneck, since I have to wear a dickey under my current crewneck shirt, to satisfy policy.

Only considering 100%, or darn near it, wool.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as its Merino, you are good to go. No itch and great performance. Wicks good too. Which is important under a vest. Shop around for your best deal. SmatrWool is great.
And its 18 here now!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
I wear the smartwool base layers most days. Durable and no issues so far.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.underarmour.com/en...mock/pcid1244393-001

Look at this stuff.
Every once in a while LAPolice gear, the Clymb, Bass Pro... has a sale. Grab a set or two of the tops and bottoms.

Wicks moisture, warm, reflects heat bac towards the body. It's my go-to when it gets cold up here.

Carheart makes some good stuff too.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Another vote for smartwool.
I wore them last week camping in 21 degree weather (don't ask..) and love them.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6326 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I don't have anything from them but Woolpower looks interesting. https://woolpowerus.com/ullfrotte-original/

Posts: 9974 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I’m a big wool fan, but I’m also a fan of military polypropylene. (Sp). Keeps you warm, even if wet, and real lightweight. Cheaper too.comes in black too.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've used Smartwool and love their stuff. Only dislike the price tag.

Ice Breaker also makes good stuff. I've only used their bottoms and socks but was happy with both.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
The SmartrWool stuff is good, and personally I wear nothing but the UnderArmor Cold Gear under my uniforms. They are fantastic. I get too warm with the level 3 stuff, even up here in Alaska. I wear level 2's for most of the winter (top & bottom, black in color). Sometimes I'll drop the top piece if it's 20-ish or above. The Level 2 is great from 20 to -20. If it gets colder than that, or I know I'm going to be outside for long stints I'll put on a set of the Level 3's. I even have one set of the Level 4's, but have only worn them once a few years back when we had an extended -40+ cold snap. They DO get kinda ripe after a day or two though, so buy a few sets.....and they aren't cheap, but worth every penny. You probably already know this too, but if you're going to be outside, standing around at scenes & such, try to stand IN the snow when possible. It's counter-intuitive, but it's warmer than standing on the pavement by quite a bit. Stay safe, stay warm!

Posts: 1732 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Look at this stuff.
Every once in a while LAPolice gear, the Clymb, Bass Pro... has a sale. Grab a set or two of the tops and bottoms.

Wicks moisture, warm, reflects heat bac towards the body. It's my go-to when it gets cold up here.

I've also used Under Armour and like their stuff but I think Smartwool and other good wool stuff is much better. Wool will not stink as Polyester will. I have worn the same Smartwool shirt for multiple days hiking and it never smelled. When I use Under Armor stuff it starts to smell.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Bunch of wussies!!
I can’t wear anything under my pants or long sleeve shirt.
I burn up rather quick inside when these folks have their heat set to 80 and smoking like a freight train.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
While I have not tried their long underwear, I have other Smartwool products which are top notch.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Look at this stuff.

I've also used Under Armour and like their stuff but I think Smartwool and other good wool stuff is much better. Wool will not stink as Polyester will. I have worn the same Smartwool shirt for multiple days hiking and it never smelled. When I use Under Armor stuff it starts to smell.

This is true....the UnderArmor starts to get ripe in a day or two. I've found that it keeps me warmer than the SmartWool though. YMMV.

Posts: 1732 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Varusteleeka SARMA

Good quality stuff, decent prices, rather fast shipping from Finland. I have a few off their Sarma offerings and have found them to be of good quality.

Additionally, REI-CoOp offerings are also solid for undergarments. Not sure if they are currently offering wool.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I have just bought a snow camo parka from these folks and was amazed at the fast shipping.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I used to wear Silk long john's, top and bottom under my uniform. I found it wasn't constricting and it really did fight off the cold. Got mine, many years ago, at Eddie Bauer.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1378 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're not wool - and not cheap either - but these Capline bottoms are not bulky and should fit under your normal duty pants:

https://www.patagonia.com/prod...ile-3=&start=1&sz=24

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Base layers or, long/thermal underwear come in two flavors: wool or, synthetic. If you're buying cotton, you're doing it wrong.

The wool variety use Merino wool, a very fine wool which is soft to the touch and is not processed thru boiling. Wool is separated by how thin each fiber is and how thick the weave is. Base layers are usually 17-18 microns thick and woven 150-190 g/m2, very soft. Wool is naturally anti-microbial, thus little smell retention from body oder, wicks moisture away fairly well and retains a nice layer of warmth next to the skin. Brands like Icebreaker and Smartwool are the most well known, I'm personally a fan of Ibex however, they're in the midst of reorg their business and currently off-line. Intermittent activities like hunting, sitting in a boat/grand-stand, traveling or, really cold winter conditions, wool base layers are nice.

Synthetics are widely available and aren't as costly as wool. Besides lower overall material costs, synthetics wick away moisture unbelievably well and are well suited to activities where constant perspiration can be an issue. Like wool, synthetics can be created and woven to varying thicknesses depending on needs/conditions. Besides lower over costs and great moisture management, synthetics main issue is it doesn't manage body oder like wool can. Natural fibers like wool are able to retain the body oder microbes and reduce their offensive smell, synthetics don't absorb anything, thus those microbes just sit there and small...and smell. Polyproylene is the most common of the textiles used for synthetic base layers, Pataognia's Capaline collection is the most well-known. Most of the big outdoor brands have a assortment of synthetic underwear, Helly Hansen's Lifa, Hot Chily's and Terramar are also pretty popular. Go to any outdoor/ski shop and they'll have a handful of brands to choose from. Constant activity like ski/snowboarding, running/cycling, backpacking, synthetics are a good option.

Big issue with modern base layers is not to bake them in the drier. Both wool and synthetics utilize fibers that are thinner than a human hair, the synthetic fibers will end-up melting and the wool fibers will become dried-up and brittle, both resulting in a rougher hand. Pull them out of the wash and hang-dry when done. Some brands have tried to blend synthetics with wool, trying to combine the best performance properties of each; generally those don't work and you end up with a compromise that isn't favorable. There's a lot of inexpensive base layers out there, 32-degrees is very popular, seen them at Costco recently. Uniqlo is probably the best value for cost. If you're just looking for occasional usage or, one-time usage, these inexpensive options are a good choice.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
They're not wool - and not cheap either - but these Capline bottoms are not bulky and should fit under your normal duty pants:

https://www.patagonia.com/prod...ile-3=&start=1&sz=24

Beat me too it, I have a lightweight set that breathes great and still maintains core heat...REI has sales quite often or use your COOP dividend...

I also have a couple Underarmor LW thermal tops and they are very good.

While merino is great (and better if being exposed to fire is a concern) modern poly pros work very well....I still have several pr I was issued at Drum (not known as a warm place Wink ) that are actually too warm for NTX.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Filson wool base layer

https://www.filson.com/alaskan...ght-pants-15003.html

https://www.filson.com/alaskan-midweight-top.html

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post