SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Korean fish cake, anyone?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Korean fish cake, anyone? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I've been watching a lot of Korean Street food videos on YouTube lately, and I see a lot of fish cake in their food. Until last month, I never knew such a thing existed, now I can't get it out of my mind. I just checked Walmart, and no luck. I suppose I'll look on Amazon. I've got to try it, just so I know.
Anyone here tried it?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Asian grocery stores as I’m sure many are online.

https://www.uwajimaya.com/uwajipedia/fish-cakes/

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's good as part of the clear noodle dish. And, if you like spicy real spicy, add it to the spicy rice cake. But, it's nothing really special, to my taste. My wife loves it, though.

Q

Posts: 26417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m partial to the Japanese versions made in Japan. Korean are okay but not my preference. I’ll not touch anything made in prc. Fishballs common in and made in Taiwan are okay too.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12726 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Fish cake is delicious! If you really want to punish yourself, google Taiwanese street food Big Grin

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I miss the days of living near a plethora of restaurants with at least two of each kind. What I love about Korean restaurants is the wide array of condiments that come with the meal. I think fish cakes is one of those dishes.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19675 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
My take on fish cakes is pretty much like chicken nuggets - a sauce transfer device.

Pile some spicy bean paste on them and I’m in!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Any Japanese supermarkets in your area?

Looks like Japan-Sage Market has an oden kit (per pictures via goog maps). Oden is kind of Japanese broth based cuisine that features a number of simmered ingredients, including a variety of fishcakes. I believe Korean and Taiwan versions are based on the Japanese oden but not sure (just based on the words used in korea and taiwan - sounds rooted in the japanese words for it). Korea has less variety I think. Taiwan has much of the variety you would see in Japan; in addition, Taiwan version has a number of fish / seafood balls (small meatballs) that is not common in Japan oden restaurants.

There are a lot of different types. I really like one which is like a tofu satchel (tofu skin or yuba) with a piece of mochi inside. And something called satsuma-age which are small pancake like items with some ingredient mixed in (like gobo and carrots (aka kinpira gobo) and others).

Might be hard to find, but if you can find a real Japanese restaurant that serves oden, I think that would be a treat.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12726 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I've been watching a lot of Korean Street food videos on YouTube lately, and I see a lot of fish cake in their food. Until last month, I never knew such a thing existed, now I can't get it out of my mind. I just checked Walmart, and no luck. I suppose I'll look on Amazon. I've got to try it, just so I know.
Anyone here tried it?

I'm rather surprised you can't find it. You're not far away from SLC and there is an amazing variety of food offerings there

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
It’s always in stock in my freezer. Wife cannot live without it.
Check your local Asian store. It’s pretty good and is very versatile.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Japanese style fish cake kit - oden. Not a lot of variety in this kit but more than enough for one person - I'll probably munch on it through the day.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Yeah! Fishcake!!!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43901 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Fish cake was served in my elementary school at least 3 times a week in various ways and varieties. My favorite version was in noodle soup

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fish cake is a very inexpensive snack option in S.Korea, there's little stalls, stands and counters serving it in various preparations.

Should be able to order it up via Weee.com unless you have a H-Mart nearby ...best Asian grocery store!

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post