SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Surprising Article on Gun Death Statistics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprising Article on Gun Death Statistics Login/Join 
posted
I'm not sure how accurate these are, but I'm really surprised they published the chart. Of course, it pretty much confirms what we all knew already. The article itself seems to ignore the information in the chart.

I wonder if "Assault by gun" includes people shot by someone in self-defense.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...r-BBKGdMY?li=BBnb7Kz

One that did surprise me is that the average American is more likely to be killed by law enforcement than they are by an accidental shooting or a mass shooting. I'm sure most of those are justified shootings.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Here is another..... I believe this came to me from a correspondent who got it from Faceplant, but it has been removed.

quote:
There are 30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms, and this number is not disputed. U.S. population 324,059,091 as of Wednesday, June 22, 2016. Do the math: 0.00925% of the population dies from gun related actions each year. Statistically speaking, this is insignificant! What is never told, however, is a breakdown of those 30,000 deaths, to put them in perspective as compared to other causes of death:

• 65% of those deaths are by suicide which would never be prevented by gun laws
• 15% are by law enforcement in the line of duty and justified
• 17% are through criminal activity, gang and drug related or mentally ill persons – gun violence
• 3% are accidental discharge deaths

So technically, "gun violence" is not 30,000 annually, but drops to 5,100. Still too many? Well, first, how are those deaths spanned across the nation?
• 480 homicides (9.4%) were in Chicago
• 344 homicides (6.7%) were in Baltimore
• 333 homicides (6.5%) were in Detroit
• 119 homicides (2.3%) were in Washington D.C. (a 54% increase over prior years)

So basically, 25% of all gun crime happens in just 4 cities. All 4 of those cities have strict gun laws, so it is not the lack of law that is the root cause.

This basically leaves 3,825 for the entire rest of the nation, or about 75 deaths per state. That is an average because some States have much higher rates than others. For example, California had 1,169 and Alabama had 1.

Now, who has the strictest gun laws by far? California, of course, but understand, so it is not guns causing this. It is a crime rate spawned by the number of criminal persons residing in those cities and states. So if all cities and states are not created equally, then there must be something other than the tool causing the gun deaths.

Are 5,100 deaths per year horrific? How about in comparison to other deaths? All death is sad and especially so when it is in the commission of a crime but that is the nature of crime. Robbery, death, and sexual assault are all done by criminals and thinking that criminals will obey laws is ludicrous. That's why they are criminals.

But what about other deaths each year?
• 40,000+ die from a drug overdose–Where's the excuse for that?
• 36,000 people die per year from the flu, far exceeding the criminal gun deaths
• 34,000 people die per year in traffic fatalities(exceeding gun deaths even if you include suicide)

Now it gets good:
• 200,000+ people die each year (and growing) from preventable medical errors. You are safer in Chicago than when you are in a hospital!

• 710,000 people die per year from heart disease. It’s time to stop the double cheeseburgers! So what is the point? If Obama and the anti-gun movement focused their attention on heart disease, even a 10% decrease in cardiac deaths would save twice the number of lives annually of all gun-related deaths (including suicide, law enforcement, etc.). A 10% reduction in medical errors would be 66% of the total gun deaths or 4 times the number of criminal homicides......Simple, easily preventable 10% reductions!

So you have to ask yourself, in the grand scheme of things, why the focus on guns? It's pretty simple.:
Taking away guns gives control to governments.

The founders of this nation knew that regardless of the form of government, those in power may become corrupt and seek to rule as the British did by trying to disarm the populace of the colonies. It is not difficult to understand that a disarmed populace is a controlled populace.

Thus, the second amendment was proudly and boldly included in the U.S. Constitution.

So the next time someone tries to tell you that gun control is about saving lives, look at these facts and remember these words from Noah Webster: "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, because the whole body of the people are armed and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. A military force at the command of Congress can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power."

Remember, when it comes to "gun control," the important word is “control," not “gun."

It’s just statistics, of course.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alabama really only had one murder? Seems fishy.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would be handy to have a print copy. Need to confirm sources.

Posts: 2133 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is another..... I believe this came to me from a correspondent who got it from Faceplant, but it has been removed.

Here's another source JALLEN...

http://www.conservativerights.net/facts-gun-deaths/

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Also, per Ted Nugent Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/tednu...ts/10154772622887297

Haven't found other supporting sources.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of those stats seem off...

From the FBI UCR

Total Gun related Homicides in 2016 (last full year data) about 11,000
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-t...ide-data-table-4.xls

Justifiable Homicide Law Enforcement typically about 450 per year
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-t...ide-data-table-5.xls

By Citizen avg 300 p/year
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-t...ide-data-table-6.xls

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
I can't trust the information in the chart.

If even one "cause of death" listed is wrong, than I have to believe that all causes are wrong. Since not a single person (dinosaur yes, person no) was killed by an asteroid (hemorrhoid maybe!) strike, then this entire chart of slanted. Even a small meteorite hasn't been proven to have killed anyone. So there is not enough data to come up with any odds of dying from an Asteroid strike. It shouldn't be on the list!
An if you discount all the diseases and accidents on the chart above "Assault be gun", that leaves;
1. Stroke
2. Drugs
3. Poisoning
4. Suicide
5. Alcohol
6. Murder

These are listed to be far more recurring than assault by gun.
I think that these should be banned before any new gun law.

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

Sure is. Can't remember a night that the Birmingham news is not reporting a killing or two. I live north of there in a quiet rural county and we have already had a dozen or more killings, mostly domestic related.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agree. Lies, damn lies, and all that. Bat data in = bad data out.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low8option:
quote:

Sure is. Can't remember a night that the Birmingham news is not reporting a killing or two. I live north of there in a quiet rural county and we have already had a dozen or more killings, mostly domestic related.

With guns?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Amaze your friends. Baffle your progressive neighbors. Show them this real-time data on cause of death:

http://www.romans322.com/daily...-rate-statistics.php

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Amaze your friends. Baffle your progressive neighbors. Show them this real-time data on cause of death:

A person per week by lawnmower is a surprise.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12442 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
I'm not sure how accurate these are, but I'm really surprised they published the chart. Of course, it pretty much confirms what we all knew already. The article itself seems to ignore the information in the chart.

One that did surprise me is that the average American is more likely to be killed by law enforcement than they are by an accidental shooting or a mass shooting. I'm sure most of those are justified shootings.

“Spaceship incident?!?”

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:

“Spaceship incident?!?”

Big Grin Would that include having a piece of a certain Chinese space station land on you in the next few days? I didn't even know the Chinese HAD a space station.

There are a lot of things about that chart that are head-scratchers. Like, what's the difference between death by "Any accident" and death by "Any injury"? I suspect the overlap between those two is fairly large. Same thing with "Any motor vehicle incident", "Falling", "Riding inside a car, van, or truck", "Pedestrian", "Motorcycle", "Airplane/boat/spaceship incidents", "Bicycling", "Accidental gunshot", "Bus/Train/Streetcar" -- it feels like somebody took a lot of liberties in how the stats were correlated for this one. Just as in most other similar "studies".

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
anecdotely I have to call BS,

Assaults by firearm kill about 13,000 people in the US each year, which translates to a roughly 1-in-315 lifetime chance of death from gun violence.

That's about 50% more likely than the lifetime risk of dying while riding inside a car, truck, or van. It's also more than 10 times as high as dying from any force of nature, such as a hurricane, tornado, earthquake, flood, or lightning strike.

this just isn't my experience....

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bjor13:
anecdotely I have to call BS,

Assaults by firearm kill about 13,000 people in the US each year, which translates to a roughly 1-in-315 lifetime chance of death from gun violence.

That's about 50% more likely than the lifetime risk of dying while riding inside a car, truck, or van. It's also more than 10 times as high as dying from any force of nature, such as a hurricane, tornado, earthquake, flood, or lightning strike.

this just isn't my experience....

Have you looked into the breakdown of those 13,000 deaths (by the way it's not "deaths by firearm assault or gun violence" it's death by homicide which means one human killed another... including self defense and justifiable circumstances)? Hint: read the posts above yours. Moreover, more people die in vehicles than by firearms so you might want to double check your data before you say things like a gun is 50% more likely to kill someone than a vehicle.

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

How is this being generated?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I call total BS.

I dispute the 1 in 315 odds. We have over 315 million people in this country. But lets just use 315M for easy math. Assuming 0 population growth, we would see 1/315 people or killed by a gun or 1M every year.

Feel free to correct me if my math is off.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2390 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

Lifetime risk, not annual.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post