SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Presidents and driving a car
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Presidents and driving a car Login/Join 
posted
Why are US presidents not allowed to drive?

Posts: 17253 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I wasn't aware of that, but if it is so, it's going to fall under personal security and protection.

Posts: 107664 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Why are US presidents not allowed to drive?

huh??

President George W. Bush drives his pickup truck at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, Friday, Aug. 9, 2002

https://georgewbush-whitehouse...9-1_ranch8-515h.html

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I wasn't aware of that, but if it is so, it's going to fall under personal security and protection.

That'd be my first guess as well.
Are they actually forbidden from driving a personal vehicle outside of a 'cleared' event/space?

The above of W, 'at his ranch' which I'm almost 100% sure is a secured location.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
This is NOT a photoshop... That is really who it looks like riding shotgun.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh, cruising in your vintage roadster, surrounded by black Suburbans.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
When President Harry Truman left office he drove himself and Bess back to his home in Independence, MO. No security officers accompanied him. That would’ve been January, 1953. My mother often drove us past Harry’s home.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8989 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
W wasn't allowed to drive on public roads...he was relegated to driving the truck around his ranch.

Posts: 1972 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
What about when Nixon made a gift of a Lincoln to Brezhnev at Camp David back when? Brezhnev sat behind the wheel and Nixon was in the passenger seat. Brezhnev took off, just the two of them, for a 1/2 hour test drive just blasting down the roads around there. The secret service just about shit their collective britches.

Link

Video / photos

One of the most famous car stories of the Brezhnev era concerned a trip he made to Camp David in the mountains of western Maryland where he met with President Richard Nixon. This less than dynamic duo could have rightly been called partners in political crime. On this occasion, Nixon played to Brezhnev’s love of cars in an incident that almost led to dire consequences for both men. Much to his joy the usually stolid Soviet leader was presented with the keys to a brand new 1973 Lincoln Continental. Little did Nixon know that this gift would lead to a ride risking both their lives. As soon as Brezhnev took possession of the keys, he was raring to take the Lincoln for a drive. Lead foot Leonid got in and invited Nixon to join him. Despite the reservations of a Secret Service agent who grew alarmed when he realized what was about to happen, Nixon took the front passenger seat.

The two most powerful men in the world at that time then started down one of the narrow, curvy roads around the perimeter of Camp David. Brezhnev was not familiar with the route. He was used to driving however he liked. In no time at all, he sped the car up to 50 miles per hour then started down a hill that led into a dangerous curve. Brezhnev was throwing caution to the wind. Nixon must have wondered if they were on a collision course with fate or a tree. The Soviet leader was out for an adrenaline rush in a dream car, while the American president sat beside him terrified. Brezhnev was in control of the car, Nixon was just along for the ride. The situation might best be described as too fast for conditions and Nixon knew it. As they sped into the curve Nixon told Brezhnev to “slow down, slow down.” Abruptly the Soviet leader hit the brakes, the tires squalled, but the car safely made the turn. A relieved Nixon complimented Brezhnev on his driving skills, proof that a little lie can help when it comes to diplomacy. link

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
The current one can't even handle riding a bike, so there's that...

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Absolutely no way with the current occupant of u know where... he appears to be lucky that he can walk without falling down. .... drill sgt.

Posts: 2016 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched Biden on Jay Leno's garage driving his 67 Vette (not lost in an almost kitchen fire). It looked to be on a cushy gov't property or Andrews AFB.

I believe Biden got the Vette from his parents for a wedding or graduation gift. You know, regular ol' middle class gift from your parents.

P229

Posts: 3837 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
VS. their soviet counterparts.

Posts: 7368 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember Jackie Gleason telling a story about Richard Nixon driving him to a military base, and saw some sort of new technology at the time.

Nixon called Gleason and asked if he wanted to 'see something,' and just drove over to pick him up. No Secret Service around.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2844 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Those awkward pictures of Bush might be the reason. Wink

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I watched Biden on Jay Leno's garage driving his 67 Vette (not lost in an almost kitchen fire). It looked to be on a cushy gov't property or Andrews AFB.

That was at the USSS training facility in Beltsville, MD.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16405 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The question is what does "not allowed to drive" actually mean? There is unlikely to be any law or regulation against it. Perhaps the USSS requests it and could even make their continued protection contingent on following their rules, but I don't buy the "not ALLOWED to drive" claims.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I like member dsiets‘ YouTube video, a few above, of President Reagan. I loved that man.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8989 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
The question is what does "not allowed to drive" actually mean? There is unlikely to be any law or regulation against it. Perhaps the USSS requests it and could even make their continued protection contingent on following their rules, but I don't buy the "not ALLOWED to drive" claims.

When you take any job there are some requirements. By accepting the job as president you accept that you will have people around you wherever you go. I'm also betting there are some activities they would really not want you to do. Wingsuit jumping comes to mind. Cave diving is something else. Maybe you accept that someone will drive you whenever you're on public roads because they have the training and skill.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16405 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure, but I think the Secret Service wouldn't let Trump carry his pistol, despite having a permit.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9163 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post