SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are these cabinet hinges called and what are my replacement options?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are these cabinet hinges called and what are my replacement options? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
My wife wants new hinges.
What are these called?
Is a soft close option available and easy to install?
Good sources for them?

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
My wife wants new hinges.
What are these called?
Is a soft close option available and easy to install?
Good sources for them?

Thank you in advance.

do you have a local cabinet maker/shop? One that is not known to screw every potential customer over? They are out there. A small owner operator would be best.

That is where I would start.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Before we sold our last home, I replaced all of the cabinet doors with soft-close hinges. I also replaced all of the drawer slides with soft-close slides. The doors are very easy - 4 screws each and you use the existing holes. Probably 1 minute a door. The drawers were an absolute PIA. I wouldn't do again.

I think I spent $300 for kitchen and 2 bathrooms. Our daughter and her husband own a high end cabinet shop so I got the hardware at their cost.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had those hinges. They work on an expanding plate type system correct? Instead of circular holes like with modern hinges, there are slots cut into the doors and frames to accept the plates. You can add soft close by drilling new holes, but the slots will remain and the hinge placement will be different meaning you would have to fill the existing holes on the frames. The cabinet guy couldn't find direct soft close hinges replacements for the hinges we had, and I couldn't find any on the internet. He didn't think there would be enough wood for support if he tried drilling the holes over the slots. We ended up having new doors made and added soft close hinges. I still had to fill the slots on the boxes which was a pain in the butt, but no way I was going to attempt it on the old doors due to the routed rounded edges.

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
For some reason I can’t see the pics, not on my phone nor computer. But it seems everyone else can.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
For some reason I can’t see the pics, not on my phone nor computer. But it seems everyone else can.

I had to right click, then 'Open image in new tab'.

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/homdiy-...TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1

That come in black and brass finish too.

There are various other styles too, but these look pretty close to yours. Might make it easier to replace.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
if you want good soft close you will need to have doors bored 35 mm the biggest factor here is your overlay soft close hinges are made with different overlays most being 1/2 inch you can change out the plate height to accomplish this. first thing to do is to measure the inside face from of your cabinets then measure the outside of your door if the door is 1 inch larger then the opening you will need 1/2 overlay hinges, you can buy a jig at any wood worker supply house to bore the 35 mm holes, another thing you have to know is the distance from the edge of the door to edge of the door called the tab, this is critical wrong distance and either the doors will collide in the middle or have to wide of a gap and you will run out of adjustment to make this work. I use all blum hardware in the cabinets I build.
I have been in business 38 years. the hinge I use is a b73b-358 and the 1/2 plate is b175-603.21. I buy wholesale but I'm sure you could find them on line. as far as drawer slides go you limited to the width or your drawers, most are made width of opening less 1 inch so the drawer slides are 1/2 inch think. accuride makes some that have a soft close feature in them I use blum undermounts but it takes a special drawer set up to make them work.

Posts: 5599 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post