SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Requesting a volunteer to take over the responsibility of maintaining the P-Series serial number list
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Requesting a volunteer to take over the responsibility of maintaining the P-Series serial number list Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
This list has not been updated in two and a half years. The list needs to be updated, and kept up to date.

This would require that the member I choose from those who volunteer, create a new thread and copy over the first post in that thread, and then add all the serial number data which has been added to the existing thread since it was last updated in early 2019.

What is required above all is a member who plans on being a part of this forum indefinitely. The list as you see it now was created originally by a member, but who then lost interest in maintaining the list. I can't say I blame them. It might be tedious work. arcwelder then took on the responsibility of recreating and maintaining the list, but though he still retains posting rights, arcwelder is no longer a moderator in this forum. I know there was a lot of curiosity about this and sufficient time has passed that I will address his absence before too long.

That aside, I need someone with enough interest in cataloging serial numbers, and enough knowledge about SIG P-series pistols to be able to maintain the list without my intervention.

I know there are some members here who have displayed interest in unraveling SIG pistol serial numbers and I would encourage any such member to volunteer. However, as I said, above all, I need someone who plans on being an active member of the forum for as long as they and it continue to exist.

Only one member will be picked, since only that member (along with SIGforum staff) will be able to edit the list. We are all adults here, and if you volunteer, please be aware that chances are, you will not be the one picked. The odds alone dictate this. If, for example, ten members volunteer, your chances of being selected are one in ten. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but, doing it this way, instead of soliciting one single member or other, means that some people who really like this forum may feel left out in the cold, and I do understand this. Really, I don't want to disappoint anyone who thinks enough of ths forum to speak up for the job.

So, if you have sufficiently thick skin and you know your P-Series pistols and have an interest in serial numbers and what those numbers can tell us, I invite you to volunteer. You don't have to sell me on it. This isn't The Bachelor. Just let me know in this thread if you have an interest in doing this service for the forum. Once the list is caught up, it shouldn't be much work at all to maintain.

Thank you, to all of you.

Posts: 107246 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Would love to take it on. Cool

Q

Posts: 26196 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
While I think Q would do a superb job and is much more knowledgeable WRT P-series pistols, I would also be very willing to take over.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6248 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
++++ Q.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16001 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
For years now I've felt the P- series serial number thread was of real importance, not only to the forum, but the shooting community in general. It's a real credit to the forum that such a data collection effort has been maintained, and it's been sad to see it languish recently, so I'm happy to hear it's going to be revived.

I've long felt that SIG long guns deserved a similar effort.

Quite honestly, this data collection effort probably should have been something taken on by SIG corporate, in recognition of their history of producing arms and in recognition of their customer and fanbase, but as I said, it's a credit to the forum that the effort was made here.

I saw the request for a volunteer last night and my first impulse was to throw my hat in the ring, but decided to sleep on it, before posting.

I have a fair bit of interest and experience with some of the P-series. I see the importance of maintaining the list, and I'm fairly detail oriented, and I have the desire and interest to do the job well... but, being honest, I can forsee some issues with making the time to do it, with my current schedule. Maybe sometime in the future...

Not that we get a vote or that my opinion is worth a damn, but for whatever it's worth, I can think of no one more qualified than Doc. Q. He's got the interest, the experience, plenty of practice with the P228 thread, his attention to detail is widely regarded, and he is committed to sharing knowledge.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not that we get a vote or that my opinion is worth a damn, but for whatever it's worth, I can think of no one more qualified than Doc. Q. He's got the interest, the experience, plenty of practice with the P228 thread, his attention to detail is widely regarded, and he is committed to sharing knowledge.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool P Series fan and a serial number nut. Q can do it! I would be willing to give him any help requested.
P.S. Para has already turned me down once Smile

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Why is this thread still open?

Q offering to do it is like Moses saying "follow me, kids." Some people are just right for a job. Smile

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks for discouraging others who might be interested.

Almost thirteen years here and you still don't know me.

posted Hide Post
I have enough drama maintaining my personal collection serial number database on excel so I won’t apply for the job, but it does seem the good doctor is the man when it comes to P series pistols.

I have about 6 I would like to submit but May I suggest that creating a dummy email account that could then feed to a “normal email” that members or even non members could submit their serials for updating. Just adding a reply to the thread seems to get lost. Just a thought.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's because it hasn't been updated in two and a half years.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Yet another display of how this board and group is managed that earns my sincere respect and admiration.

The thoughts and sentiments behind this thread is an example to be adopted by everyone wanting to be a decent person.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19577 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for discouraging others who might be interested.

Almost thirteen years here and you still don't know me.

Sorry, just a failed attempt at a little hyperbolized humor about a friend - without malice or intent to discourage anyone.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I guess I knew you meant no harm, but I'm a lit firecracker most of the time.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thawing dynamite Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19108 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Thank you. I guess I knew you meant no harm, but I'm a lit firecracker most of the time.

Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3757 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
I am not qualified.
I would like to thanks all of you that have Volunteered

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
I was just recently reviewing the list for some P228 info and was planning to reach out about offering some assistance in an update.

Para, if I’m not mistaken, the earlier thread had a number of posts with data that weren't incorporated. It may be worth a look.

I have a list of P220 S/Ns that I may or may not have posted to the original thread. When I have a chance, I’ll go through my CDs and will send to whoever is chosen what I have.

Great to see this resource get brought up to date and would be willing to take it over as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcs1564,

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Forum member Udo will be taking over the list.

12131 is going to be doing something else for the forum which I'll tell you guys about shortly.