SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Please get out and vote today!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please get out and vote today! Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
https://twitter.com/IAPolls202.../1722051127321952612

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe id="twitter-widget-1" scrolling="no" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=true&embedId=twitter-widget-0&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&lang=en&theme=&id=1722051127321952612" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 550px; height: 249px; display: block; border: medium; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-image: url('https://codejanitor.azurewebsites.net/embeds/bgmessage.png'); background-position: center 20px; background-size: 300px; overflow: hidden;" title="Twitter Tweet"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

This is great for KY. Now if Cameron can pull out the win.

Posts: 1520 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a good explanation for why there are that many more votes cast in the Governor's race than the down ballot races? Also, turnout was not great statewide.

https://vrsws.sos.ky.gov/liveresults/

Posts: 723 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26697 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Beshear tried to pretend that he was the “voice of reason and moderation” to counter the Republican super majority in the General Assembly and other statewide offices. The heavy Dem-controlled counties (urban areas) got the teachers unions out for him, as they did last time.

What’s going to be interesting is what will happen with McConnell in 2024 (term ends in 2026). His health is not the best, and this will come down to the Prez 2024 Race and how its going to play out on the national stage and behind the scenes.

NO WAY Kentucky will go Dem in 2024, so we’ll be ignored by both parties.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2718 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Voted after work. More than a dozen proposed Constitutional amendments and 4 local bonds. Zero candidates to vote for.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23394 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i voted!!

Posts: 2223 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:

NO WAY Kentucky will go Dem in 2024, so we’ll be ignored by both parties.

Nope.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37128 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Appalling what passed in Ohio. Despicable.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30537 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

How so?

Seems there was a bit of a libertarian streak going on in Ohio tonight.

Posts: 252 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyanide357:
quote:

How so?

The abortion issue. Killing innocence is not what I would consider libertarian.

Q

Posts: 26697 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:

Apparently we like small government only when it stays out of the issues we like.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8814 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by cyanide357:
quote:

How so?

The abortion issue. Killing innocence is not what I would consider libertarian.

Maybe not, but keeping the government out of personal/family medical decisions would be.

It isn’t like there will now be state mandated abortions. This was the pendulum swinging back to counter legislation which was overly restrictive. It isn’t a black and white issue - while abortions should not be done frivolously as a result of irresponsibly, there are circumstances where it is necessary or is minimally prudent due to viability/quality of life of the child or safety of the mother.

Posts: 252 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
GOP not only failed to flip the Senate in VA but also managed to lose control of the House, it appears. Not good for Youngkin.
https://www.foxnews.com/politi...ia-state-legislature

Q

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKAngusKL:
Does anyone have a good explanation for why there are that many more votes cast in the Governor's race than the down ballot races? Also, turnout was not great statewide.

]
Single-issue voters, candidate targeting, inducements..take your pick.There was a similar occurrence in Texas during mid-terms. Abbot was re-elected Governor with a healthy margin, where the Cruz-O'Rourke race was pretty close.

Some said Ted Cruz was just that unpopular (at least the usual suspects tried to spin it that way), but Puto O'Rourke and the DNC heavily targeted college students. But yeah, you'd be excused for thinking there *should've* been rough party-line parity in the results.

Posts: 5768 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I voted and also participated as an elections inspector in my community.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8185 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:
quote:

Apparently we like small government only when it stays out of the issues we like.

I think government should protect human life. The vote that passed allows abortion at any time up until birth. It also doesn't stipulate any type of parental rights, meaning parents don't need to be informed if their young daughter wants to have an abortion.

And you're babbling about small government? Get a clue. This is the exact opposite of that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30537 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Does any Ohio member here have the text of the ballot question asked about abortion?

Spoke to my MIL this morning, her sister lives in Ohio and said that question was your typical convoluted confusing ballot question that probably fooled a good number of people. Because God forbid we have a clear and simple Yes/No type question.

Posts: 34012 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that Beshear out spent Cameron 4:1, as in ~$65+ Million to ~$16 Million. Guess who got their "message" through?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6241 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ohio text of the ballot question asked about abortion?

Issue 1

A Self-Executing Amendment Relating to Abortion and Other Reproductive Decisions

Proposed Constitutional Amendment

Proposed by Initiative Petition

To enact Section 22 of Article I of the Constitution of the State of Ohio

A majority yes vote is necessary for the amendment to pass.

The proposed amendment would:

Establish in the Constitution of the State of Ohio an individual right to one's own reproductive medical treatment, including but not limited to abortion;
Create legal protections for any person or entity that assists a person with receiving reproductive medical treatment, including but not limited to abortion;
Prohibit the State from directly or indirectly burdening, penalizing, or prohibiting abortion before an unborn child is determined to be viable, unless the State demonstrates that it is using the least restrictive means;
Grant a pregnant woman's treating physician the authority to determine, on a case-by-case basis, whether an unborn child is viable;
Only allow the State to prohibit an abortion after an unborn child is determined by a pregnant woman's treating physician to be viable and only if the physician does not consider the abortion necessary to protect the pregnant woman's life or health; and
Always allow an unborn child to be aborted at any stage of pregnancy, regardless of viability if, in the treating physician's determination, the abortion is necessary to protect the pregnant woman's life or health.

If passed, the amendment will become effective 30 days after the election.

Shall the amendment be approved?

https://www.ohiosos.gov/global...-21-ballot-board.pdf

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24233 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:
quote:

I think government should protect human life. The vote that passed allows abortion at any time up until birth. It also doesn't stipulate any type of parental rights, meaning parents don't need to be informed if their young daughter wants to have an abortion.

And you're babbling about small government? Get a clue. This is the exact opposite of that.

Thanks for proving my point. You're fine with the government interfering with a deeply personal decision as long as you agree with the outcome. Call it what you want, but it isn't "small government". Maybe just concede that you want the world the way you want it and leave it at that.

Ohio has had a parental notification statute since 1996. There is no reason to expect that this measure affects that statute, contrary to what some parties have been saying.

quote:
Does any Ohio member here have the text of the ballot question asked about abortion?

Spoke to my MIL this morning, her sister lives in Ohio and said that question was your typical convoluted confusing ballot question that probably fooled a good number of people. Because God forbid we have a clear and simple Yes/No type question.

This was a matter of some debate in Ohio. A lot of people felt that the ballot language was confusing or misleading.

This is the actual text of the amendment:

quote:
Be it Resolved by the People of the State of Ohio that Article I of the Ohio Constitution is amended to add the following Section:

Article I, Section 22. The Right to Reproductive Freedom with Protections for Health and Safety

A. Every individual has a right to make and carry out one’s own reproductive decisions, including but not limited to decisions on:
1. contraception;
2. fertility treatment;
3. continuing one’s own pregnancy;
4. miscarriage care; and
5. abortion.

B. The State shall not, directly or indirectly, burden, penalize, prohibit, interfere with, or discriminate against either:

1. An individual’s voluntary exercise of this right or

2. A person or entity that assists an individual
exercising this right, unless the State demonstrates that it is using the least restrictive means to advance the individual’s health in accordance with widely accepted and evidence-based standards of care.
However, abortion may be prohibited after fetal viability. But in no case may such an abortion be prohibited if in the professional judgment of the pregnant patient’s treating physician it is necessary
to protect the pregnant patient’s life or health.

C. As used in this Section:

1. “Fetal viability” means “the point in a pregnancy when, in the professional judgment of the pregnant patient’s treating physician, the fetus has a significant likelihood of survival outside
the uterus with reasonable measures. This is determined on a case-by-case basis.”

2. “State” includes any governmental entity and any political subdivision.

D. This Section is self-executing.

Confusing? You be the judge. I doubt if anyone was really very confused. If anything, The SoS did everything they could to make it more confusing.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8814 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post