SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Network help please.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Network help please. Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
I will do my best to explain this.

I have a computer network in my house running thru the infinity router, I have a cat five wire running to my shop, in my shop I have windows 7 and a computer controlled piece of machinery running windows 2000 professional it's old I know but thats what drives the machinery and changing it over is about 9k

What I'm trying to do is to get files out of my shop windows 7 which has a cad program and transfer them to the machine, I can transfer files buy using the 192. 168. 1.1 on one computer and 192. 168. 1.2 on the other. but I cannot connect to the internet. I bought an Ethernet switch which has 5 ports and have connected them all together. but it's either internet or file sharing but not both. I was told this switch would get them all connected.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, I figured after connecting the switch they would see each other. I'm sure I just don't have something enabled but I don't know what. all the lights on the back of the switch are blinking green like all is well. My home network will see the windows 7 but not the windows 2000.

Thanks !

Posts: 5598 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I don't know how tech savvy you are so let's start with the basics.

When you have everything set up to see the internet, what IP is on each machine?
To find out, on each one open a command prompt (click start. click run. type "cmd" and hit enter - or: click start. type "cmd" into the search field and hit enter).
Once you have a command prompt type in:
ipconfig

This should tell you your local IP address.
(there's a number of diff ways to find this info - this is just the easiest for me to explain)
This should also tell you your subnet mask and gateway.

Bring us back those results and we can find next steps.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
almost forgot - if "ipconfig" doesnt get your the needed info.. do "ipconfig /all"

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Creslin thanks for the reply here is what I have the windows 7 is the longer one

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Ok so it looks like you have the two machines on different subnets.

The old one has a static IP of 192.168.1.2/24
The new one has a dynamic IP of 10.0.0.47/24

The easiest way to fix this will likely be to setup the old one for dynamic as well.

So.... thinking back a decade or so...
Control panel -> network connections -> change adapter settings -> (right click) local area connection (properties)

Then select "automatically detect" or something like that. It might be on the 2nd tab.
(a screenshot would help if you get stuck)

Once that is done, you can run the "ipconfig" stuff again on that machine and see what IP it's given.
Then try to connect to it on your network like you have in the past (just using the new IP)

Edit:
It "should" be given an address similar to your newer machine: 10.0.0.x
If you end up with something like 169.254.x.x - then something is wrong.

Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
this is what it gives me but still no connection.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Ok so you're on the same subnet now - that's likely the most important thing that was needed.
How are you attempting to access the files?
(be as specific as possible please)

Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
the machine computer doesn't see any files or even says it's connected to a network. I go to search for "computers near me" and the only one that opens is the machine one and not the windows 7 if that makes sense.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Ok so you're relying on windows to basically discover other computers.

What happens if you:

1) Open windows explorer (i.e. "my computer" or something to view local files)
2) Up in the address bar type in: //10.0.0.47 (then hit enter)

I'm having a brain fart (and am not in front of a windows machine to test)...

I can't remember which way the slashes go.
It's either:
//10.0.0.47
or
\\10.0.0.47

posted Hide Post
go to the command prompt of both machines.

type ping then the address of the other machine you are trying to reach.

ping 10.0.0.46

ping 10.0.0.46

If it says packet set 0%5 lost your network is no longer the issue.

try it and post the results.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
well now you know with certainty that the two machines can see each other from an IP perspective.

So that means that the problem is at the application layer.
Did you try my thing with the address bar?

Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
yes and it tried to go online sent me to bing

Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
maybe I don't know how to share files??

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
did you try slashes both ways?

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Can't properly read those screens but methinks you need a gateway ip.
usually a router or modem will behave
as 192,168,x,1 and you should manually configurr your computers x,2and x,3 with x,1 as default gateway _ the third line.

Figure out what is the default gateway and provide different ip numbers for the computers, hope what I wrote is easy to understand.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Can't properly read those screens but methinks you need a gateway ip.
usually a router or modem will behave
as 192,168,x,1 and you should manually configurr your computers x,2and x,3 with x,1 as default gateway _ the third line.

Figure out what is the default gateway and provide different ip numbers for the computers, hope what I wrote is easy to understand.

0-0

That's all been done.
Also, a gateway is not needed when the two machines are on the same network as these are.
Gateways are for exiting your network to go talk to a machine on another network.

Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I typed in \\ and it asked for a password but nothing happened after I gave it the other one says this, weird it shows it's connected but, I don't know very frustrating. Thanks for your help.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
From a network perspective - they're connected.

We're into the land of Windows/CIFS_shares.

Odds are.. if I had it in front of me I could figure out...
But sadly I haven't worked with this stuff in a decade or more.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
If I read correctly paragraphs 2 and 3 of OP he can't do both, file sharing and internet

I would start with adding TeamViewer to the machine that has internet access and then help from inside the network.

Cost nothing but little time to figure out what the working gateway ip is and then use that reference to assign the machines - different - ip, unless I'm still missing parts of this puzzle.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post