SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A month in China Space Station: What's been done so far?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A month in China Space Station: What's been done so far? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Meanwhile, on the other side of the world:

https://news.cgtn.com/news/202...YrXi1QLwk/index.html
Updated 21:49, 17-Jul-2021

It's been a month since the Shenzhou-12 spacecraft carried the three Chinese astronauts, or taikonauts, to China's space station. As one of the most important missions for the manned space program, the Shenzhou-12 is a display of China's latest space technology.

The China Manned Space Engineering Office (CMSEO) on Saturday published a timeline of Shenzhou-12's progress so far. And here's a translation of it.

All timestamps below are in Beijing Time.

6:32 a.m., June 17, 2021: Taikonauts set off

The core module of the space station – Tianhe – was already waiting on the orbit. Serving as a connector of other space station modules, it was launched back in April.

Already connected to the station is the Tianzhou-2, a cargo ship filled with supplies needed by the taikonauts to survive, work and have fun.

The docking between Shenzhou-12 and the China Space Station was done automatically by machines without human intervention.

6:48 p.m.: Taikonauts entered China's space station

Described by the CMSEO as a "milestone of a new age" for China's space exploration, the entrance means a lot for the Chinese people.

The three-person crew is expected to stay in the space station for three months, during which time they'll help set up the station and carry out some scientific research.

do you want to keep abreast of what the rest of the world is doing in space? Its rather impressive. Launches several per week.

I have two apps on my android phone that you might like.

One is "Space Launch Now". The second is "Next Spaceflight." I found them on Google Play.

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Not an app, but Bob Zimmerman's Behind the Black website is another excellent resource.

https://behindtheblack.com/

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I frankly don’t believe a damn thing China says.

And how many people died getting that thing into space? Life is still very cheap there.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To their credit, this is their third space station project.

The flip side is, this is simply a modernized-version of the Soviet's Mir program so, they're aren't necessarily pioneering or, breaking any new ground here. Everything is painfully rudimentary and simple.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

The flip side is, this is simply a modernized-version of the Soviet's Mir program so, they're aren't necessarily pioneering or, breaking any new ground here. Everything is painfully rudimentary and simple.

You have to start somewhere. . .

Sure, Chinese tech is a generation or two behind that of the West, but they are moving forward. That's the important part.

I actually applaud China for doing this. Sure, they are a wicked empire which oppresses its people and is determined to take over leadership of the world, but I believe that advances in space are generally good for mankind.

Several years ago, they sent a probe to the moon. This was something like 20 years since ANY country had sent ANYTHING to the moon. NASA criticized China for (get this) 'polluting the moon's atmosphere.' Apparently, the moon does have an 'atmosphere' (random gases incapable of supporting life as we know it). This is the same NASA, you may recall, which deliberately sent TONS of space debris (spent rocket bodies, mostly) crashing into the moon during Apollo (they used seismic sensors to determine the moon's internal structure based on when the shock waves reached the seismic sensors).

Now, MAYBE NASA had a point, but it sure came across as petty and spiteful to criticize China for sending a probe the size of a washing machine to 'litter' the moon, after we sent tons of junk there.

Also, for every dollar (or yen, or whatever) they spend on their space program, that is one less they can spend on nukes and other military hardware. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21842 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m with PaSig. I don’t necessarily believe anything they say.

On the other hand I also want to know concrete benefits of science in space. I sound like I hate space. I don’t. I just wonder what the trillions of dollars spent on moon missions, traveling to the other planets, space stations, etc, have actually paid back in real terms. Hell, I think the Chinese are doing this merely to increase their ability in space so as to be more lethal when war breaks out. I don’t believe that anything they learn or do doesn’t have military scientists trying to exploit that knowledge for military gain. (I suspect we do the same but on a smaller scale).

Can anyone point out things that have been designed, built, or thought of in space that have resulted in real world gains? Stuff that only could have been done with a space station.

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

this is simply a modernized-version of the Soviet's Mir program so, they're aren't necessarily pioneering or, breaking any new ground here. Everything is painfully rudimentary and simple.

They are the masters of imitation, not innovation.

Recall in that movie The Martian, the NASA space flight director sort of cringed at the Chinese launch and said something like “they haven’t done things like that since the mid-1960’s”.

They are where we were around 1965…maybe.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

Sure, Chinese tech is a generation or two behind that of the West, but they are moving forward. That's the important part.

I actually applaud China for doing this. Sure, they are a wicked empire which oppresses its people and is determined to take over leadership of the world, but I believe that advances in space are generally good for mankind.

Several years ago, they sent a probe to the moon. This was something like 20 years since ANY country had sent ANYTHING to the moon. NASA criticized China for (get this) 'polluting the moon's atmosphere.' Apparently, the moon does have an 'atmosphere' (random gases incapable of supporting life as we know it). This is the same NASA, you may recall, which deliberately sent TONS of space debris (spent rocket bodies, mostly) crashing into the moon during Apollo (they used seismic sensors to determine the moon's internal structure based on when the shock waves reached the seismic sensors).

Now, MAYBE NASA had a point, but it sure came across as petty and spiteful to criticize China for sending a probe the size of a washing machine to 'litter' the moon, after we sent tons of junk there.

Also, for every dollar (or yen, or whatever) they spend on their space program, that is one less they can spend on nukes and other military hardware. . .

Yuan.

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I frankly don’t believe a damn thing China says.

And how many people died getting that thing into space? Life is still very cheap there.

yes it is. you notice how our boosters land in the ocean and are retrieved...messy but civilized. china does not launch from the coast. their worthless villagers can just eat a booster or two, no big deal.

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Setup has gone slower than expected, working with Harbor Freight tools and all.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

While space exploration and development should be applauded, let's not confuse these achievements with the costs that such endeavors entail. Countries with transparent governments where its citizens are participants in the overall process and its institutions, is one thing. A rapacious regime that has zero compunction to steal, glean, extract, or cull from any cooperative or, collaborative engagement, I think we need to keep it in perspective.
Yes, they deserve credit for getting out there and making it happen, its not a small project, however they've got a cloud of distrust & suspicion hovering over them. There's a reason why they aren't allowed on ISS or, any other project, there's always an ulterior motive.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One has to wonder how much information they stole from the United States and others to achieve this amazing accomplishment.

^^^^^^
Corsair was thinking the same thing and beat me to it.

Posts: 74 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: July 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

...there's always an ulterior motive.

Well, China wouldn't be China without ulterior motives. . .

Their ulterior motives have ulterior motives.

Wink

Posts: 21842 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bruthajess:
One has to wonder how much information they stole from the United States and others to achieve this amazing accomplishment.

^^^^^^

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^

All of it.

Look at their fighter jets; until maybe 2000 they were building and using a MIG-21 era type fighter jet. 1960’s - maybe early 1970’s tech

Then all of a sudden they start showing off what looks like OUR F-22 Raptor. Sons of bitches STOLE everything, and they continue to steal everything they can get their hands on. They have ENTIRE government agencies dedicated to stealing tech and IP from everyone else around the world, they’ve turned it into an art form.

These bastards stole and copied EVERYTHING you see from the Russians and us with their space program. Mad

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They have manufactured 42,000 vegetable scrubbing brushes and large quantities of children's candy containing a filler of unknown origin.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ HAHAHAHAAAAA! ^

Realistically, they probably are mapping our satellites, recording the communication frequencies and codes, and prioritizing which ones get blasted out first when the balloon goes up.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

I was going to say that if not for having to slow down and answer all the "do you want a warranty?," and "do you receive our newsletter?" questions at HF, they'da been done with their Uranus mission by now.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^

I was thinking exactly the same thing.
They are decades behind even Russia, and it's a lot easier and cheaper when all you need to do is steal and copy the work of others and don't really care if there are some casualties along the way.

Posts: 9499 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Well, stealing our tech manuals and then errors in transposing them, "Refty Rucy/Lighty Tighty" resulted in a few setbacks.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post