SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would you pay 5-10% more for fully assembled items?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you pay 5-10% more for fully assembled items? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My last job before retiring was working in a lumber/hardware store. One of my jobs was assembling stuff - Lawn mowers, picnic tables and grills.

I learned quickly that Charbroil builds junk. Cheap, thin, crappy hardware, lots of plastic, poorly designed, frequently missing hardware or bent components. Hated putting them together.

By contrast, Weber stuff was pretty good, tho they had cheaper models as well. Cast where CB was tin. Metal where CB was plastic. Good instructions. Decent hardware. Well thought out and braced properly.

On the odd occasion where something was missing or damaged on a Weber grill, one phone call to an 800 number and it was on the way, no questions asked.

If...IF...you could get through to a CB rep, you might or might not get the replacement part. Eventually.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
In a word, IKEA.

I’ve put a number of pieces together. My daughter bought some bookshelves, But, a couple of pieces needed to be individually purchased. The first set wasn’t the right ones. Her roommate and I went to the store to get the correct ones. OK, the roommate has no patience and started burning bridges. However, the rep and I were willing to work together. Turns out they get shipments on certain days and you have to be there to get them. It took two trips but we got them.
Have IKEA put stuff together? Oh hell yes.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was younger one of my first jobs out of the military while going to college was working for a company called Murray Product Assembly. I was usually stationed at a local Toys R Us assembling their bikes, power wheels, scooters, etc. We would also go to other stores like Roses, Children's Palace, etc. and assemble lawn mowers, swing sets, furniture, Grills, etc. We got paid by the piece. Different amount for different items. The company provided us professional bicycle tools, stands, wrenches, etc. I got so good that I could build about 5 bikes an hour which turned out to be about $25 an hour. On the bikes we built we had to stamp it at a certain place with our code so we knew who built the bike in case it ever came back with build problems, etc. We were really busy during the Christmas season. We would go to the different Toy's R Us at different locations and build like 200 bike or more in 2 days and then move on to other stores. I did that for about 3 years while also working at another job and school full time. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3091 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
When my daughter was younger, I had her put those stickers with me.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post