SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honda Powersports rep confides; no more piston engines in Honda motorcycles by 2030.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda Powersports rep confides; no more piston engines in Honda motorcycles by 2030. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
my guess is your source is trying to be relevant (to you) and really does not have and info on this topic. He knows nothing of which he speaks, imho

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19776 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I was reading just a year back about Amazon purchasing 20,000 Merdedes Benz built Sprinter vans to resale to small van fleet owners. Now I am hearing Amazon is not happy with their carbon foot print. It seems Amazons owner is purchasing 100,000 electric vans built by Rivian from 2020 to 2030. While a guppy looking thing, the vans will have pleanty of cargo area and a 400 mile range. As for electric motor cycles, one of my most loved sounds are brave souls cranking on the throttle of big inch sport bikes.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Are any Rivian products even in actual production?

As for Honda, having a ling term goal doesnt mean you're going to get there on schedule.

Posts: 11518 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Not a chance in hell that Honda goes away from the internal combustion engine. Ever. Too many pieces of their equipment use them. Well, all of them. That's what they are known for.

As for motorcycles in general: Nope. The noises produced are some of the most visceral experiences one can have. Honda may want to have no piston engines by 2030 but in reality, the consumer isn't about that. Even in the Asian countries where most bikes are sold, they want the most efficient engine based on PRICE. Battery tech and electric engines would need to make a quantum leap in the next 2-5 years for that to be viable by 2030. It's not exactly an overnight process to re-tool for production of one engine type to a whole other monster, especially cost wise. There will not be a time in our immediate future, where EV's of any sort are cheaper to manufacture than internal combustion vehicles.

Just watch some of the Moto E motorcycles and see what kinds of problems they have. Heavy is an understatement. While the bikes are torquey, they don't have a usable range. When an accident occurs, the possibility of a battery fire is highly probable. The batteries themselves burn for days. There would be no way to salvage most bikes because they would be toast, therefore, the price goes up on insurance rates....Just one more death knell for motorcycles if this comes to fruition.

Someone was goading you into a conversation or just pissing in your ear.

Posts: 2861 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well this explains why their motorcycle offerings are so completely boring. Kawasaki is putting super chargers on their bikes and going all in while Honda is dreaming about electric bikes.

Hopefully I’m dead and gone before the e bikes take over because I fucking hate them. The sound of a superbike near redline won’t ever be replicated by a battery bike. Yeah yeah I could just put a speaker on my bike but that’s like telling the guitar people solid state is just as good as a tube amp.

Honda is chasing a pipe dream. Motorcycles are already fuel efficient as hell. There is a better page on their website showing all their bikes and the MPG but this is all I could find this morning. It seems like a problem in search of a feel good solution.

Look at those MPGs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The guy who told you this is completely full of shit. Even if they were (which they won’t). He wouldn’t know about it

Posts: 3392 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
I call BS. Honda will still be making gas engine bikes in 2030.

Agreed. Being an "engine company" is part of Honda's culture. In 2018 alone they sold 20 million motorcycles worldwide, all of them powered by gasoline engines. Claiming that every one of those motorcycles will be electric in a mere 10 years is ridiculous.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2599 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely no interest in owning any electric vehicle. I feel like this is being rammed down our throats.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Well this explains why their motorcycle offerings are so completely boring. Kawasaki is putting super chargers on their bikes and going all in while Honda is dreaming about electric bikes......

Friend just back from 2020 Kawasaki roll out in Palm Springs said Kawasaki motorsports division is now putting most of their emphasis into side by sides rather than motorcycles! What are they doing to my hobby!?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look at those MPGs
Though it has absolutely nothing to do with MPG figures, and its irrational to boot, I really want a Rukus scooter. I can just see it now, me and my 6'2", 235 pound carcass on a Rukus. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
ridewv, it’s not all that bad. Yamaha has released some cool new bikes recently. That new supercharged “Z” had leaked pics online today but I hope they are fake....the bike was in a crate and it wasn’t a good angle but it looked like a scooter from the front. I guess we will know for sure soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
ridewv, it’s not all that bad. Yamaha has released some cool new bikes recently.......

True, I am interested in Yamaha's new Tenere' 700 but its not coming here until Fall 2020.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ridewv,

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Have any of these electric vehicle proponents studied the environmental impact of manufacturing the batteries?

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I think Honda will continue selling piston engine bikes as long as the sell. Who knows where battery technology will be in 10 years? Maybe you will get 300 miles per charge and a 10 minute charge to capacity. If that happens, electrics will be very viable.

Only because riders today are largely joy riders. Iron Butt riders would consider a 300 mile ride as a grocery trip.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
So what are the power plants that recharge all these electric vehicles going to run on? Coal? Natural gas? Nuclear?

And there's the rub.

It's still a more efficient manner to deliver energy than combusting gasoline. Electric cars are like 60% efficient and gasoline cars are lucky to get to 20%. You also have to burn even more fuel to deliver the gasoline to the stations.

At the end of the day, even if electric cars are powered 100% by fossil fuel produced energy, they are still More efficient, cheaper to run and better for the environment than gasoline cars.

And I say this as a huge car nerd who hates tesla.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
Have any of these electric vehicle proponents studied the environmental impact of manufacturing the batteries?

Yes

https://youtu.be/6RhtiPefVzM

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Of course it's bull. The internal combustion engine will still be around for a long long time.

quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
So what are the power plants that recharge all these electric vehicles going to run on? Coal? Natural gas? Nuclear?

And there's the rub.

Yes all of them plus add the renewables wind and solar. The grid wants to get to the point that it is mostly powered by renewables with fossil fuel and nuclear contributing only when necessary.

Just need to develop energy storage.

Energy storage? I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rackrack:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
A good amount of motorcycle riders like to hear the sounds the engine produces and electric doesn't do that.....

They can clip playing cards on the fender struts with clothespins. Problem solved.
~OR~

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/qSZUaCNX_ZA

Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15529 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Of course it's bull. The internal combustion engine will still be around for a long long time.

quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:

And there's the rub.

Yes all of them plus add the renewables wind and solar. The grid wants to get to the point that it is mostly powered by renewables with fossil fuel and nuclear contributing only when necessary.

Just need to develop energy storage.

There's no good way to store the overflow of what a solar system or wind turbine puts out, for longer term storage. You are relying on battery banks, and battery technology is only so good. Fine for storing energy for a few days for a very efficient house. But, not a good way to store overflow of either system for an entire town...….Basically what power companies are doing is powering down Fuel powered power plants, when the wind or solar systems are putting out a lot of power and using the solar/wind electricity right then and there...…….but no real efficient or good way to store solar/wind electricity on a large scale.

I think we'll start seeing electric vehicles with solar panels built into the roof and such. There are several manufacturers making "green" yachts with solar panels built into the roofs, to recharge the battery bank. Of course at this point range/speed are limited in totally green mode. Most of them have a small diesel generator or main engine to supplement the electric if you want to go faster or further than 30 miles.

Here's one company that I've been seeing several of them on the water:
https://greenlinehybrid-scandinavia.com/hybrid/

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

There's no good way to store the overflow of what a solar system or wind turbine puts out, for longer term storage. You are relying on battery banks, and battery technology is only so good. Fine for storing energy for a few days for a very efficient house. But, not a good way to store overflow of either system for an entire town...….Basically what power companies are doing is powering down Fuel powered power plants, when the wind or solar systems are putting out a lot of power and using the solar/wind electricity right then and there...…….but no real efficient or good way to store solar/wind electricity on a large scale.

No kidding, Jimmy. That was my point.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post