SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where to buy expensive booze on the net
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to buy expensive booze on the net Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I dont drink, so I dont know what is a good reputable site. I am looking to buy a very expensive bottle of whiskey for someone and need to know a reputable site to order from.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Does Tennessee allow you to order from the state ABC or are you in a free state that doesn’t have a monopoly on booze?

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Try Total Wine, in GA we can't mail order booze Frown

Posts: 5348 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Tough one. First and foremost, you need to figure out or learn what that person drinks. There are a bunch of different "Flavors" or types of booze. Folks don't usually switch between them. Wasting too much on something the "drinker" doesn't like is just a waste. Scotch drinkers sneer at bourbon drinkers and vice versa.

Don't waste your money on a $3700 bottle of A H Hirsch if the guy won't enjoy it. Yes, that's a fair price for Hirsch. My advice would be to discover what he normally drinks and buy some of that. It'll get consumed and not wasted. Call his wife and ask her.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up, check the state laws where you are sending the alcohol. They may require a signature or ID for delivery if this is going to be a surprise for the recipient.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may find what you need in Brentwood or Franklin:

https://www.coolspringswines.com/

They have $2200 Scotch, $300 Bourbon & $250 Tequila.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4279 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
First and foremost, you need to figure out or learn what that person drinks. … Wasting too much on something the "drinker" doesn't like is just a waste.

This. I’m a Scotch drinker, but our friends and family are all wine or beer drinkers. I have been gifted several bottles of Scotch that I have found undrinkable; sometimes due to the quality, sometimes due to being from a different region.

While I was grateful for the gift, they wasted their money.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Try Total Wine, in GA we can't mail order booze Frown

Total Wine is a pretty-much-national (all over the country but not in every state) chain of very good brick-and-mortar liquor stores (I live very close to one of them and it is the main store I go to) that also has a good online store.

They have a great selection and it's a huge company that is very clearly not a scam.

With all that said, their prices are often a little higher than you can find other places.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Just a heads up, check the state laws where you are sending the alcohol. They may require a signature or ID for delivery if this is going to be a surprise for the recipient.

As far as I know, all the shipping carriers that allow alcohol shipment require packages containing alcohol to be signed for by someone over 21 who shows ID to verify age (this is absolutely the policy of FedEx and UPS, there might be some smaller shippers out there that don't require it), so the only state-by-state variation is whether shipping alcohol is legal at all.

However, in my experience, you can generally rely on FedEx and UPS drivers to completely ignore that and scribble a signature and drop signature required packages on your doorstep without even ringing the doorbell.

The majority of signature required packages I have been sent (including a number of packages of hard liquor and once a pistol coming back from a gunsmith) have been dropped at my front door without a signature.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I go to a web site called https://distiller.com/to look up manufactures and types of whiskies/liquors.
I will do a search for the liquor I am looking for.
I like to read the the comments/ratings based on people who have tasted them.
When you scroll a little farther down on the page it will also give you links to who might be selling it.
I have never purchased through any of the linked websites on their page.
You will have to do a little research on how reputable the online sellers are.
Some on line sellers may be close to where you live so you may be able to just pick whatever you are looking for up.

As rburg has said, it is best to find out what your friend likes to drink. Do you know what he likes? We may be able to point you in a better direction.
Example.
I have two very expensive bottles of Blantons Bourbon (1 Gold and 1 Straight from the barrel) that my wife thinks taste like gasoline and won't drink.
Both those bottles sell on the secondary market for over $500 dollars each if you can find them.
I got lucky and managed to pick those up in a duty free store while on a cruise a couple of years ago for around $125 each.

She likes Angles Envy that only cost $49.00
Sometimes it's not the cost but the taste.

Good luck.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2575 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Define expensive.

For some expensive might be a $750 bottle of Papi or a $3,000 bottle of King Louis.

For me it's a $100 bottle of Lil' Book by Booker Noe.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
https://www.timsmithspirits.com/

Posts: 12473 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
If you're in the Murfreesboro area check out Total Beverage on Thompson Lane. They have a pretty broad selection, and if they don't have it I'm sure they could point you in the right direction.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3518 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Total Winein Delaware has a $50k bourbon.

Posts: 75 | Location: Delco and LBI | Registered: April 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blueshep
posted Hide Post
Sudsandspirits.com
They have $350.00 Blantons plus many other good brands.

----------------------------------------
NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 1467 | Location: Northeast,Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I've got a bottle or two of japanese single malt in the $600 range I've been meaning to figure out how to sell if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shipped to you or the recipient? State law controls whether a shop can ship and where they can ship to. Wine-Searcher and 1000corks are good resources for finding bottles. I’ve never had an issue ordering online. CA can be shipped to from any shop that’s willing. Unfortunately there aren’t as many as there used to be and COVID has impacted some shops that ship.

I’ve ordered from HiTime in CA. Ace in MN. Internetwines in MO. Astor in NYC. And many more. Many shops websites will tell you where they can ship to. Keep in mind many ship wine but not spirits.

Good luck shopping.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueshep:
Sudsandspirits.com

Please don’t drop $350 on a mediocre $60 bottle.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:
Originally posted by blueshep:
Sudsandspirits.com

Please don’t drop $350 on a mediocre $60 bottle.

This! I just bought a bottle of Blanton’s for $62 at my local Marathon gas station (known for its bourbon selection).

Posts: 4454 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made a few orders from caskers.com last spring when it was difficult to get to my favorite liquor store and was pleased with their service. You do have to sign for delivery which I assume is standard for any alcohol shipment so I had it shipped to my office. It's stickered with labels that give away the contents so it can't be done discretely Cool

Posts: 181 | Location: Central Missouri | Registered: October 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post