SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Colt Competition 45 or Springfield RO (both stainless)??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Competition 45 or Springfield RO (both stainless)?? Login/Join 
posted
For those who know these and 1911's in general, given a choice which would you choose and why?

Primarily fun and range use.

Thanks,

P

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

John F. Kennedy

Posts: 169 | Registered: April 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The primary differences between the Colt Competition and the Springfield RO are the adjustable rear sight on the RO and the dual spring recoil system on the Colt.

In my opinion:
1) the Colt dual spring recoil system is a solution looking for a problem. The GI recoil system has been reliable and effective for over 100 years.

2) The adjustable rear sight is nice feature if you want to tune poa/poi for your choice of ammo.

I own one Springfield RO and four Colts. All, except my Colt Officer model, have been reliable and accurate. The Colt Officer is used at the range only.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wrong forum. But I just bought the Colt Competition 9mm s/s. Which has the same features as the .45. The Colt is a heck of a lot better cooling. I like all of the features the colt has including the F/o front site. Mine has a VERY tight slide to frame fit and barrel bushing fit, equal to my Ed brown actually......grip safety has a little side to side wiggle and trigger has a little up and down wiggle. Trigger breaks pretty clean but is a little heavy 5lbs? It's a very accurate gun and I wouldn't consider a springer over it.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Colt. Smile

Posts: 777 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I have a Range Officer and a couple of Colt 1911s. I like all of them.

I would rather staple my own fingers together than have to deal with and wait for Colt customer service. Both were great when they got done though.

Posts: 6503 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely detest stainless personally. But it really is a toss up between the two. I have always been a Colt guy though I have nothing against current springfields. Years ago I disliked them because of deceptive advertising- " the oldest name in American firearms" at a time the vast majority of the 1911 pistols were made in Brazil, the m6 scout was made by cz and the xd series is made in Croatia. I understand they now make all 1911's here.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure the rear site is adjustable on the Colt Competition.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MPB:

1) the Colt dual spring recoil system is a solution looking for a problem.

Over used and often off base expression, but... there are just as many people who would say that about the adjustable sights. Fixed sights are "reliable and effective for over 100 years." Big Grin Wink
You can apply the "solution looking for a problem" to almost anything,
which is part of the reason I hate it.

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post