SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What lower is more desirable: Rock River Arms or Older Bushmaster ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What lower is more desirable: Rock River Arms or Older Bushmaster ? Login/Join 
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted
Just a question for the masses. What would you prefer to have. A Bushmaster complete lower (older) or a Rock River Arms complete lower?? Both have the same collapsable stocks. Thanks!!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5307 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Back in the day it was the ABCRs of AR15s. Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt or Rock River.

They were all good products back then. I think the Bushy will be a commercial buffer though.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7864 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Back in the day it was the ABCRs of AR15s. Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt or Rock River.

They were all good products back then. I think the Bushy will be a commercial buffer though.

As will the Rock River.

I would go with the Rock River.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Rock Rivah.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
6 of one or half dozen of the other. Both do the job. Neither is anything fancy.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Close your eyes and point. Not much different other than the roll marks.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
I own both, with the Bushmaster being somewhat older. I would tend towards the RRA, but the Bushmaster lower does have a snake engraved on it. Smile

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
When it comes to lowers, it makes little differences. Choose your favorite rollmark. And then, if you're talking billett lowers, who makes the prettiest one to your eyes.

Q

Posts: 27513 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I haven't paid attention to the AR game for some time, now, but one thing about RRA is their buffer tube has always been of commercial dimensions. Don't know if they have changed, though. Just be aware of that.

Q

Posts: 27513 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Test and make sure that your magazines drop free (Plastic and Metal) and that your preferred upper properly fits the lower. With the upper on, do a functions check.

If both pass the above tests, do a visual inspection looking at threads, hole alignment and size (they should both be small hole) and overall condition. If you wanted to go rain man you could look up which aluminum was used to make each receiver, but in a blind taste test most folks can't tell the difference.

FYI you used to be able to visually spot a commercial receiver extension (Buffer Tube) by looking at the rear of the tube. If it was angled it was most likely a commercial tube. However, there is such a large number of tubes out there that might not be universally true. MAGPUL and VLTOR still has commercial spec stocks on their web site if you need to purchase one.

The reason I encourage you to do some checking is because back in 09 I had a RRA lower that would take BCM uppers, but not a RRA upper I had. I left the BCM upper on it and gave it away as a gift. I never went back to figure out if it was a lower or upper issue nor has it's current owner complained. YMMV.

Posts: 4758 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the Bushmaster is early enough to be pre-1994 federal AWB, I would go for that one. There are still a few states in your neck of the woods where those command a hefty premium, so if you ever decide to sell, it could be the better long-term value. Quality-wise I'd say the lowers themselves are equal pending the basic checks CD228 outlined and you can always upgrade the fire control parts and buffer to Mil-spec.

Posts: 2532 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post