SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for Expandable Baton for Older Lady
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Expandable Baton for Older Lady Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
My other half is thinking of buying a baton for self protection. CCW not an option at this time. I’ve looked a little, but decided the members on this forum probably know a lot more than either of us no matter how much shopping online that we do. For the LEO’s on this forum, what are the best brands to look at. I did find ASP and they look good. She wants a fairly long one.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The friction lock ones she probably wont like, as she will be unable to collapse them. You have to smash them on the ground to collapse them. The button ones, you just press a button on the bottom, and then you can collapse them.

Honestly, get pepper spray. Its less frowned upon and will work better. Any younger assailant will EASILY overpower her and take it away from her, and then beat her on the head with it. I dont really recommend the baton route, and think its a terrible idea. I know this because there isn't an elderly or "older" lady on this planet that I couldn't get a baton from and beat her ass with it (if I was a felon) and Im just an average dude.

I've used this stuff in a corrections environment and it is AMAZING. HIGHLY recommended. This brand and strength. I would literally (and have) walked into a riot with this stuff in my hand and it did the job.

https://www.copsplus.com/def-t...-360-mk-3-1-3-stream

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
She has pepper spray.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Impact weapons are 1 part tool, and 3 parts strength and technique. I agree, get pepper spray.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15588 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting baton is no good if there's no training program. Short of taking up escrima, or, going to a police academy, I wouldn't know where to go to just learn about baton usage. Without a through understanding of how to use, it can easily be taken away and used against you. May need to check your local laws on usage and possession also, some jurisdictions don't look to kindly on private citizens and batons.

ASP are the most popular of the collapsible batons, however what you gain in collapsibility and weight savings, you loose in striking power.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not a good idea. Collapsible batons are marginally useful for someone with proper strength and training, and downright useless for anyone else.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Forget the impact weapon idea.
If she has spray, with a baton she will just have to get closer to a bad guy. Better to empty the can on them.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides the proper tools the proper mindset means a lot. "The Gift of Fear" talks about going with your gut instinct and not letting intellect override your survival instincts.

quote:
The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals that Protect Us From Violence Paperback – May 11, 1999

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=the...f=pd_sl_4mcrgqqjad_e

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Collapsible batons are next to worthless. They don’t have enough heft to them to do what needs to be done, they depend on a users strength.

You can scratch you back under you ur body armor and once in a while break a window, or use it to pin a snakes head down while your partner runs like a girl...but if given my choice, would have carried the PR24 or straight baton over an ASP.

A wooden cane is much better as a club than a baton.

Some states they are classified as a club and cannot be CCWd. Where a cane is not.

Get her some really strong OC spray.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to rain on your parade but I don't think this is a good idea. You can easily find videos of cops whaling on suspects with one and it doesn't do anything.

I don't see an older lady having any success using one against a stronger younger assailant. Maybe a hit to the head with the end of it but that's about it. More likely to be taken and used against them.

Those things just do not have enough mass to do any damage.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are many effective methods other than a baton. See the effective technique employed here.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the civilian Taser, maybe Kimbers pepper gun. Ditch the baton idea unless she will be using it at an elementary school. I carry a Winchester expandable baton. Its heavy, like carrying a steel pipe. It's good on bad guys that haven't really committed to resisting. Real bad guys could care less that you gave them a bruise.

Posts: 206 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup ASP's suck (I have been trained and certified with them). They were developed to give officers a means of gaining compliance w/o injuring a suspect (ideally).

She has pepper spray, but has it expired? Does she have a trainer version and training/practice? Does she carry it ready to go and is she aware enough to get her hand on it in advance of trouble?

If I were going impact, I'd go with a good cane. More reach, more strength, more leverage, more options.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
She has pepper spray.

A baton takes a bit of training and more training to keep skills up. If she is signed up for a Kali/Escrima/Filipino Martial Arts (which make the light weight ASP baton much more effective) class, then no problem.

Get dog pepper spray. Most LEO pepper sprays runs about 10-15% capsaicin. Dog Pepper Spray runs around 30% capsaicin. We have had shoplifters use it on security trying to stop the shoplifters. The security people ended up being transported via ambulance to the hospital to gets eyes washed out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3937 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
ASP lightweight 21" baton, if you insist on a baton. However, I agree with the others who think it is a bad idea for an older lady with no training in it's use.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ogie,

Posts: 6621 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not an ASP fan, even though I have been through all the training and certifications.
My most effective stick:
36 inch Kohaut hickory straight baton.
But not practical for your use. And probably considered deadly force in most places.
Hard to pack around too!
Go with high effectiveness OC.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Collapsible batons are next to worthless. They don’t have enough heft to them to do what needs to be done, they depend on a users strength.

You can scratch you back under you ur body armor and once in a while break a window, or use it to pin a snakes head down while your partner runs like a girl...but if given my choice, would have carried the PR24 or straight baton over an ASP.

A wooden cane is much better as a club than a baton.

Some states they are classified as a club and cannot be CCWd. Where a cane is not.

Get her some really strong OC spray.

You forgot popping out your passenger side mirror when the car wash folds it in.

I’ll just add to the fact the collapsible baton is almost a worthless impact device. I have never used it as such. Only thing it does well is pries folks arms out from under them when they are laying on their arms trying to keep from being cuffed.
If it was not required I would not carry one just a waste of belt space. Head strike with some solid power and grip sure. But for me to do that I am at deadly force and have better options for that.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Black, you are a genius!
I had a Caprice with fixed mirrors and several Crown Vics but the mirrors never folded back cause I washed my car at home...the city lot's wash bays also were used on the trash trucks and the water was recycled and smelled god awful....

[/drift]

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
21 years in law enforcement.

ASPs and the like are better than leaving the baton in the squad car when you need a baton. That's about the only nice thing I can say about them. They require either perfect technique or considerable strength to strike with effectively. They lack sufficient mass to make up for poor technique. What I've usually seen is a whole lot of swinging with very little effect.

There is no situation where I would recommend one to a private citizen without considerable training and experience.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Can she carry a taser in your state?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sig 226,

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post