SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Damascus Steel Wedding Band - thoughts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Damascus Steel Wedding Band - thoughts? Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
As an aircraft electrician and someone who spent nearly half of his 23 year, navy career, underway, I pretty much stopped wearing rings more than three decades ago. Between the shock factor (electrician thing) and getting caught on things while on the ship, jewelry was not a favored option.

Now my wife (coming up on seven years in September) wants to get me a wedding band and recommended a manly, Damascus Steel ring.

So...., what are the downsides of a Damascus Steel ring?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Rust? If actually steel.

Im liking the idea though.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I went through this not too long ago. Google pros and cons of wedding band types. Discussed are costs, re-size-ability, conductivity, brittleness, durability, can it be cut by EMTs if your hand is swelling, etc.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Stay with gold. If you want something that will always look right. Steel will rust.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Had to google it, Oh wow!!!

Those are cool.

google image search

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rosie, the Corgi,
is my copilot
posted Hide Post
I don't wear rings for the same reason as the OP but if I would reconsider that it maybe this: https://ensorings.com/pages/what-silicone-ring

Posts: 3672 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there's stainless steel damascus.

Thoughts- Ask David Truong my friend in the jewelry business.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/5050023444/p/1

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13404 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
If you do decide to go the silicone route, don't get the Qalo brand. Yeah, it's a personal preference thing with me, but they put their logo on the OUTSIDE of the band. If you're going to do that, why not get a Nike one, or UnderArmor. Seriously - this marriage endorsed by Adidas?

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://whiskeybarrelrings.com...wEAAYAiAAEgKTXPD_BwE

My wife showed me these yesterday and they had some with Damascus.

I know a lot of guys here enjoy their whiskey so I thought some might find this link fun.

Posts: 3926 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
If you do decide to go the silicone route, don't get the Qalo brand. Yeah, it's a personal preference thing with me, but they put their logo on the OUTSIDE of the band. If you're going to do that, why not get a Nike one, or UnderArmor. Seriously - this marriage endorsed by Adidas?

Marriage is a partnership between a man, a woman, and these sponsors.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Marriage is a partnership between a man, a woman, and these sponsors

Brawndo’s got what marriage craves.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
I went through this not too long ago. Google pros and cons of wedding band types. Discussed are costs, re-size-ability, conductivity, brittleness, durability, can it be cut by EMTs if your hand is swelling, etc.

Corrosion and emergency removal are two areas a hadn't considered.

Thx

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one, they're not steel, but a blend of two "inert" metals. I don't recall off the top of my head what mine are. They are usually labeled as mokume gane rather than Damascus, but it's the same thing. Mokume gane is the Japanese term and loosely translates to wood grain which it resembles.

I put inert in parentheses because mine has reacted to strong bleach solutions before. It darkened one of the metals, but it returned to normal over time.

They are softer and not as inert as gold or platinum.

I contacted Dave Truong about one when I decided that's what I wanted (I got my wife's engagement ring, and wedding band from him). He doesn't deal in them, but said he could get me one if I wanted. He raised a good point about them though as being a less durable material than gold or traditional metals. So they may not last a lifetime which is what your wedding band represents. I didn't plan to wear it daily due to my job and hobbies so I decided to give one a try as I really liked the look.

In the end I went with a local crafter who makes them and I've been happy with mine. I don't wear a ring most of the time, but do have a few of the silicone ones and will wear my mokume band on special occasions.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put the ring on if you love the wifey. Pick one you like and if you two split up take it off. Not a real big problem here. You're highly unlikely to be in a situation where the ring will "threaten" your life. Actually the ring will never be a life threatening problem. Promise.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LS1 - You pointed out the electrical hazard. A similar one is found if you do any welding or hot metal work (forging, casting).

Do any rock climbing? While slim, catching a ring while climbing & slipping could quickly remove that finger.

Metal working machines? Wood working machines? The term is “degloving”. The skin/meat sheath gets ripped from the bone.

Do people actually do these things? I do all of them. Have friends that do many of them as well.

Not meant to dissuade anyone from wearing a ring, but there is a time and place.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
I'm sure there's stainless steel damascus.
<snip>

You are wrong. There’s no stainless version of true Damascus steel. The Damascus process is an ancient method of converting cast iron to steel objects – usually swords, knives, or axes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8978 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been wearing one of these for 10 years. Light and looks cool.

https://www.titanium-jewelry.com/em-timoku.html

Posts: 312 | Location: California | Registered: September 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I have a Stainless Damascus Wedding ring that replaced a Platinum one that was stolen in a break in years ago. I wear the Stainless one every day, it laughs at chemicals, is light as a feather and looks great! It was made for me by a fellow knife maker who forges. GREAT. alternative for other metals!! I cannot find a downside, once again, for metal. Here it is... https://imgur.com/a/gGJ6dJb

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Sybo has it right - see a custom knife maker. Stainless Damascus is called Damasteel. Here is a picture of a knife blade of Damasteel. I believe the pattern is called Odin's Eye. The knife was made by Allen Elishewitz...

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post