SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finally! A Kindle Paperwhite with USB-C
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally! A Kindle Paperwhite with USB-C Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I have an ancient gen 1 Kindle Paperwhite. I use it virtually every day, and it still works like new. But it has a lousy micro USB connector. Every time a new gen Kindle Paperwhite is announced I eagerly check to see if has USB-C, but years go by and no joy. Until today:

“Get up to 10 weeks of battery life with a single charge via USB-C or compatible Qi wireless charger (sold separately).”

Hopefully that means that it has a USB-C jack. Apparently currently available only for pre-orders. I’ve waited for years, so will wait a few months longer for the beta testers (us) to find early production bugs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8980 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Well, the Amazon ad says it charges wirelessly or through USBC, so I guess you're GTG.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
What makes the micro USB so inadequate? I understand they aren't as fast as USB C, but is it that big a difference?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
What makes the micro USB so inadequate? I understand they aren't as fast as USB C, but is it that big a difference?

Why I don’t like micro USB:

* All of my other USB jacks are USB-C, so I need a USB cable just for the Kindle.
* The micro USB has to go in one way. USB-C goes in both ways: 0° or 180°.
* Even when correctly oriented the micro USB plug can be tedious to insert.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8980 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We bought a pair of Kindle Oasis in the last year. Love them except for the darn USB connection. While it's obviously not a deal breaker for us, we'd rather had the 'c' connector and/or wireless.

I see new Oasis in our future when these features hit. We read every day. I average 75 books per year.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4234 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
"charges wirelessly"
Only the enhanced 32GB model. which also has auto backlight

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I put a wireless charging pad on the back of my wife's Kindle for this very reason. It's thin, flat, & fits inside the Kindle's case. My wife struggles with charging ports, so we took it out of the equation.

Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Wireles...e%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-9

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5483 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:

* All of my other USB jacks are USB-C, so I need a USB cable just for the Kindle.

Also, both USB-Micro ports and plugs are very, very fragile compared to USB-C. I have lost count of the number of USB-Micro cords I have thrown away because they quick working, and have had quite a few devices whose USB-Micro ports have gone flaky or broken completely.

For me the biggest reason is the first you list, though. Basically everything else I use on a frequent basis (laptop, phone, headphones, backup battery) is USB-C.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I see. All valid complaints. I just got a new tablet and it is handy that it uses USB C, as does my phone and other devices.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I'd wait for the new Oasis or replacement to the Oasis. The Paper White is older technology for Kindle. I imagine next year you will see all this plus more, including possibly color ink, in the next generation of Kindle. That being said, I get the USB C issue.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We started using magnetic adapters for all our devices so we use the same cords for everything, BUT they won't fast charge. For fast charging we just use the wireless charger

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Amazon's reluctance to adopt USBC cost them my Ereader business for the foreseeable future. I needed a new e reader for a couple of years, and I held off in hope that they would release a Kindle with USBC. I finally got tired of waiting and bought an Onyx Boox. It's been fantastic since I got it and it has a whole lot more features so I don't see myself switching back any time soon.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:
"charges wirelessly"
Only the enhanced 32GB model. which also has auto backlight

Sounds interesting.

I've been using my old Paperwhite for 8 years now. Haven't had an issue with it but I know Amazon has decent trade ins.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I've had my paper white for 8 years also. I like it but the backlighting is a bit mottled. Might be time for an upgrade

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's not the connector that determines the speed or lack of it, it's what's internal to the device it's connected to.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just FYI, you don't need to carry around a separate micro USB cable. Just carry an adapter like this.

I carry these in my travel bag for my nook and then just have all USB-C cables.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30413 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I see. All valid complaints. I just got a new tablet and it is handy that it uses USB C, as does my phone and other devices.

I'll add that the micro USB connector is not very mechanically robust. The number of insertions and removals is not too bad, but not awesome either.

But where they are weak is if you have kids etc who tend to tweak on the connectors, which makes them fail due to the mechanical stresses. USB-C is supposed to be more robust.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Amazon's reluctance to adopt USBC cost them my Ereader business for the foreseeable future. I needed a new e reader for a couple of years, and I held off in hope that they would release a Kindle with USBC. I finally got tired of waiting and bought an Onyx Boox. It's been fantastic since I got it and it has a whole lot more features so I don't see myself switching back any time soon.

Never heard of these. Was about to order a Kindle. Need something lighter to use as a reader than my surface pro.

How popular are these?

thanks

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

It's not the connector that determines the speed or lack of it, it's what's internal to the device it's connected to.

Kinda-sorta. The connector, the cable, or the device can all be the limiting factor.

The USB-Micro connector is limited to USB 2.0, which has a signaling rate of 480 Mbps.

There IS a version of the USB-Micro connector for USB 3.0, but it looks kind of like two USB-Micro connectors stuck together next to each other, is very uncommon, and is not compatible with normal USB-Micro ports.

The USB-C connector can be used on USB 2.0 cables with the same signaling rate of 480 Mbps, but it can also be used on various USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 and Thunderbolt 3 cables with signaling rates of 5 Gbps, 10 Gbps, 20 Gbps, or 40 Gbps.

Basically, depending on the actual protocols in use, a USB-C connection might be the same speed as a USB-Micro one, or it might be almost 100 times faster, or somewhere in between.

At this point, EVERYTHING is at least USB 2.0. If you want to go faster than that, the cable and the devices and both ends all need to support the faster protocol and if any one of them doesn't, you won't get it.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post