SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Austin, TX Folks - Restaurant Suggestions (Food report, pg 2)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Austin, TX Folks - Restaurant Suggestions (Food report, pg 2) Login/Join 
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
The Salt Lick

BBQ located just south of Austin in Driftwood, Texas … at one time considered to be “out in the middle of nowhere” but no longer as the city developed south. Easy drive and a magical experience.

https://saltlickbbq.com/

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Gloria's (Mexican and Salvadoran) downtown is amazing. Ate there a couple months ago visiting my daughter. Great bar. Not super expensive. Lots of bars downtown as well.

South Congress Cafe on South Congress is excellent. Its been a few years since I ate there but as I recall it was very good. Also its right next to Allen's Boots, thats been in business for over 40 years. SoCo is More relaxed than downtown, more of a shopping venue if your wife is looking for that.

I agree (South Congress Cafe is excellent).

Concur, especially brunch. Seriously good.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
The Salt Lick

BBQ located just south of Austin in Driftwood, Texas … at one time considered to be “out in the middle of nowhere” but no longer as the city developed south. Easy drive and a magical experience.

https://saltlickbbq.com/

THAT is one of the first places I thought of, but he said she is not a big BBQ fan so I didn’t recommend it. Now I really want Salt Lick BBQ! Big Grin

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've done Salt Lick a few times.
Not really an anniversary dinner place, either. Good BBQ though, without the wait of the really hot places.

Will be looking into the suggestions this week.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think most of there have been mentioned and I am lucky enough to frequent most of these spots.

Salt & Time is very good a little on the hipster side, no too bad. Their ribeye with their beef fat fries are killer. The have an odds & end plate as a starter that is pretty good, they used to have a pig cheek slider that was killer also.

ALC is another spot I like for steak but not budget friendly. Filet is pretty good, so is the ribeye.

A little more budget friendly would be Hula Hut, they have a nice outdoor seating area right on the water. It can get crowded this time of year and has a fun vibe. The stuffed avocado is great, my favorite is the macadamia encrusted mahi mahi is very good.

I can do this for hours but this spot maybe not anniversary might be easy but Ramen-Tatsuya is one of my favorites. For me the one on 183 is not far from the area you mentioned has the best vibe. The one on East 6th too hipster, the one on South Lamar is pretty nice. I know ramen might be simple but its killer. The Miso-Hot with a corn bomb and chashu is fantastic. I was just there Sat. night.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Central TX | Registered: February 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Jack Allen's is our "average anniversary" dinner spot. We really enjoy it. The chicken fried beef rib is particularly good.

You wouldn't be far from The Domain, and there a ton of great new spots there. Upscale to fast food, plus some great shopping (assuming it's non 100 degrees and 60% humidity.

If you want Tex Mex your pretty close to Trudy's North star (you must have the mexican martini).

Or a little further northwest is The Brazilian Steakhouse Estancia (all you can eat meat).

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’ve always liked Perlas when I visit. Also Vaspaio? Not too fancy, but the food and waitstaff have always been consistent.

There was a steakhouse we visited last time I was there that was a chain, but they did a great job.. and my sis really wanted to go. It was downtown Austin, not far from our hotel, The Line. Also a Bobs? steakhouse that had a great view if you went up to the roof.
Congrats on your anniversary.. to many more!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Food Report:

We were in Austin from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning.

Friday
We didn't have a lot of time, as we had booked a kayak tour to see the Congress bridge bats.
My wife, being a CA native, was craving some In-N-Out, so we hit the one on Guadalupe just off the UT campus.

After the kayak trip, we swung down Congress to Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams. A bit overpriced, but pretty tasty.

Saturday
We had planned on Kerbey Lane for breakfast, but got a late start to the day & the line was ridiculous by the time we got over to the original location.

We tried to go by Snooze (which I'd never heard of, but my wife's a fan), and the one near the original Kerbey Lane was closed for repair/renovation, and the S Lamar location was packed with a long line out the door. We stopped in Haley Cakes next door, as my wife has followed her for years & wanted some of their cookies.

Saturday lunch, we met us with my brother-in-law & his wife at the Oasis. I'd been up there, but had never dined. The view over Lake Travis was awesome, food was just ok.

Saturday was our anniversary, so I made reservations at Olive & June, which also is just a block of two from the original Kerbey Lane. Food was great, atmosphere is interesting. Walk in & it has a nice restaurant feel to it, but most of the waitstaff is in shorts. Hospitality was great, so no complaints & would recommend for anyone looking for a moderate priced nice dinner (we were out the door for just a bit over $100).

Sunday
We drove downtown to the Moonshine Patio for brunch. It may be our new go-to place for breakfast/brunch in Austin. Really enjoyed it.

Thanks for all the recommendations. We'll be keeping some in mind the next time we venture back to Austin.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Food Report:

We were in Austin from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning.

Friday
We didn't have a lot of time, as we had booked a kayak tour to see the Congress bridge bats.
My wife, being a CA native, was craving some In-N-Out, so we hit the one on Guadalupe just off the UT campus.

After the kayak trip, we swung down Congress to Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams. A bit overpriced, but pretty tasty.

Saturday
We had planned on Kerbey Lane for breakfast, but got a late start to the day & the line was ridiculous by the time we got over to the original location.

We tried to go by Snooze (which I'd never heard of, but my wife's a fan), and the one near the original Kerbey Lane was closed for repair/renovation, and the S Lamar location was packed with a long line out the door. We stopped in Haley Cakes next door, as my wife has followed her for years & wanted some of their cookies.

Saturday lunch, we met us with my brother-in-law & his wife at the Oasis. I'd been up there, but had never dined. The view over Lake Travis was awesome, food was just ok.

Saturday was our anniversary, so I made reservations at Olive & June, which also is just a block of two from the original Kerbey Lane. Food was great, atmosphere is interesting. Walk in & it has a nice restaurant feel to it, but most of the waitstaff is in shorts. Hospitality was great, so no complaints & would recommend for anyone looking for a moderate priced nice dinner (we were out the door for just a bit over $100).

Sunday
We drove downtown to the Moonshine Patio for brunch. It may be our new go-to place for breakfast/brunch in Austin. Really enjoyed it.

Thanks for all the recommendations. We'll be keeping some in mind the next time we venture back to Austin.

Thanks for the report. I don't go to Austin much anymore, but nice to hear what is good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post