SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Antonio Members
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Antonio Members Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
We are all talking about the same Rudy's. Leon Springs is a wide spot in the road just past The Dominion on I-10 west of 1604. It's a chain, now, but that one is their original restaurant.

Leon Springs has grown up since Rudy's opened, haven't been to this one is several years so the urban sprawl may have taken over. As you mention this one is the original (and company owned) and way better than the franchised stores (believe the one @ 151 & Westover Hills Blvd is another company store).

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
There are Rudy's all over the place. I don't care for that style, just too hot, even the Sissy sauce. Really good barbeque need not be hot.

If you are towards Austin, Salt Lick in Dripping Springs is popular, and of course, Franklins, but you will likely not be able to get near the place. My nephew drove there, arrived at 6 AM, sat in line until it opened at 11 and was something like 30th in line. He got his order filled. Not everybody does. It closes when they sell out every day.

Whataburgers are everywhere.

A In and Out Burger just opened on FM306 and I 35 north New Braunfels, for those that like that style.

Pappadeaux Sea Food Kitchens is across Loop 410 from the Airport. We have had some very good meals there, and it is very crowded, another sign of excellence.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
You're in NE San Antonio and youre 1:15 min from Lockhart which is some of the oldest and best bbq in Texas. Kreuz is the only one who made the May '17 Texas Monthly Top 50 list.

In San Anton itself, 2M smokehouse and The Granary 'Cue and Brew made the Top 50.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Harmon's Barbecue over in Cibolo is our favorite BBQ place in the San Antonio area.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
National Shooting Complex (shotguns only) west of 1604 on Culebra, turn south on Roft Rd.

Grey Moss Inn in Helotes for a NICE dinner.

Thursday night dinner at Welfare Café (60 min drive from downtown, in Welfare TX) well worth the drive, usually has a 3 piece swing band in the beer garden. Fabulous food.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Ok, the Leon Springs Rudy's has stayed true to its original form. And if you want the best burger in town, trust me on this, head down to Chris Madrid's on McCullogh.

Fiesta Texas has one of the biggest water parks around too, and there is a Bass Pro across the highway, and a slew of other shops to occupy your time.

Since the kiddos are only 5-6, maybe you'll want to steer clear of the Riverwalk at night, its a party. Plan to go there during the day, yes its hot but there is lots to do and lots of shade.

Just north of where you are staying is a small town called Blanco, with a park just off the highway on the Blanco River. A great place to cool off. Avoid Landa Park and the Comal River, like Jallen said, its wall to wall tubes.

Enjoy the food and hospitality!

Posts: 2045 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Mission San Jose...

https://www.nps.gov/saan/planyourvisit/sanjose.htm

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 2001 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
You're in NE San Antonio and youre 1:15 min from Lockhart which is some of the oldest and best bbq in Texas. Kreuz is the only one who made the May '17 Texas Monthly Top 50 list.

In San Anton itself, 2M smokehouse and The Granary 'Cue and Brew made the Top 50.

Kreuz' is delicious. One of the best.

Blacks is there, and Smitty's (there was an ugly split between the family that owned the old Kreuz Market which gave rise to Smittys) is also good. Smitty's got the old Kreuz location, but the current consensus is that Kreuz, in the new location, makes better 'que. All three are good.

If you go to the mission parks, look for my dad - he volunteers there. They are interesting.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
The highlight of your trip will be found here...

http://www.awsfzoo.com

Kids will love it.

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Remember the Alamo!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
You owe it to yourself to go to "Mi Tierra" for some Mexican food, I have gone since I was a kid with my parents. Order the Carne Guisada, its really a great breakfast place, breakfast tacos, huevos rancheros, menudo (what I order). They have Mexican sweet bread (Pan Dulce) that is made fresh there.
Across the walkway is a "Mexican Market" with all kinds of Mexican stuff, get a nice Mexican Wedding Shirt there for yourself and souvenirs for the kids.

Welcome to Texas, enjoy your stay!

HK Ag

Posts: 3533 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Best food in town is Tommy's. It's a small hole-in-the wall place that looks really sketchy, but it has the best Mexican food in Texas. My wife routinely buys several quarts of refried beans to take home with us when we visit. There are 2-3 of them in town.

If you want less tasting food (but still good) with a really cool atmosphere, try Mamacitas. It's big and open and is made to look like a Alamo-era village. Even has an animatronic Davey Crocket play the violin ever 15 mins.

That's a fiddle. Wink

OP: Rudy's barbecue on I-10, west of 1604 about 5-10 miles, is a fairly good bbq joint.

DeWeses Tip-Top cafe, on Fredericksburg road in San Antonio has been there since 1938. It's the real deal. Good burgers, chicken fried steaks, onion rings, etc. I recommend it, and it's not too far from your hotel.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Re...n_Antonio_Texas.html

DeWeese's is good but only took cash last time I was there, just FYI.

Rudys is OK. two good local BBQ places not far from your hotel are Blanco BBQ and Two Brothers BBQ.

If you tire of BBQ and Mexican Max and Louie's NY diner is just down the road as well.

For kids and A dad who likes guns, I suggest the Buckhorn downtown. They have a cafe with decent food and a cool old west museum including an very nice firearms collection.

Bigs is a another good local burger joint, they have two locations and great playgrounds for the kids. One is on loop 1604 not far from your hotel.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Hit the Alamo first thing Saturday morning, then a boat tour of the River Walk around 11. I imagined the Alamo was way out of town, in a desert type area. I was surprised when the GPS told us where it actually was.

I took a 40 of Colt 45 and spilled some beer for my fallen homies. Razz

quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Speaking of food, when you get tired of Mexican food and want a good burger, or need something cheaper than resort prices, this place is a great dive. I recommend the cheeseburger and onion rings followed by a nap Razz

About 10 minutes from your hotel just off 1604.

https://www.google.com/search?...17904056229304486003

Thanks for the advice Jim! Took the family there for dinner last night. Fed the entire family of 4 for under $35. That included a Shiner Bock (tap) for me and a Chardonnay for the wife. Plenty of rings, fries and tots! Definitely worth the trip! We were all stuffed. When we got there around 5:30 there were only a few open tables. When we left around 6:15 there was a line out the door...Always a good sign.

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
No restaurant on the River Walk itself has good food. Decent food is the best you can hope for in those tourist joints..

Although for the most part I would agree with you, I think Bella is a cut above the typical corporate food joints on the Riverwalk.

To the OP,
You might consider going on one of the Ghost Walks.
They can provide some interesting historical aspects to the city.
Depends upon how well well your kids could handle it though.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Hit the Alamo first thing Saturday morning, then a boat tour of the River Walk around 11. I imagined the Alamo was way out of town, in a desert type area. I was surprised when the GPS told us where it actually

You went to the real Alamo, not Alamo Village, the movie set. Alamo Village

Lots of convenient parking out there, fewer tourists.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post