SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garage door spring goes boom! Wallet says ouch!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage door spring goes boom! Wallet says ouch! Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Left the house yesterday afternoon and the garage door seemed fine, wife called and said it wouldn't open, lucky both vehicles were outside. Got home and yep, one of the two springs was busted...

$385 for two new springs, installed. a few years back same company did the neighbors house for $250. They have done previous work, not overpriced but the Dempanic has raised the cost significantly.

On the good side, they got here in a day, do good work, test everything, adjust it all and we can open and close the door..

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
On the better side: You didn't have to do it yourself.

Yes, it's potentially doable. But garage door springs are one of those things that I gladly leave to the professional. Not worth the risk of getting it wrong, and getting hurt, just to save a few (hundred) bucks.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Same thing for me, last year. I had them put in the heavier springs and change out all the hinges and rollers. $500 but it comes with a 10 yr warranty. I like not having to worry about it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I hear ya. When those things go, there’s no way I’m able to lift the garage door without risking injuring my back. I paid $131 in January 2017 to replace the right side spring and $212 in June 2020 for the left side.

Gotta have them though.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
This is one of those projects that I feel I could probably handle, but enough people I trust told me, “dude, just don’t”, that I didn’t.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Doesn't it take a specialty tool?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
On the better side: You didn't have to do it yourself.

Yes, it's potentially doable. But garage door springs are one of those things that I gladly leave to the professional. Not worth the risk of getting it wrong, and getting hurt, just to save a few (hundred) bucks.

I straight up narrowly avoided serious injury changing one out myself. It is worth every penny to have a professional with the right tools do it.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stitches and medical care are expensive. Watch how the job is done for future problems

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Doesn't it take a specialty tool?

Yes, and you understand why, when you are watching your cheater bar come at your face 100MPH. Eek

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a fella's hand that attempted to change his own garage door springs. That was the worst broken hand I have ever seen!! Everything was broken badly, and displaced. His hand will never be normal again.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the bad old days I changed a lot of springs, rollers, even built up and installed whole doors in freight trailers. That said, if one broke here now, we would be on the phone to hire a door service. The big long floppy ones aren't too bad, but the ones above the door header can and will kill you. be safe.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Absolutely I'm letting the pro's from dover take over...

It's 95 degrees outside, the sun faces the door in the afternoon, two fans running, one in the window, to more ceiling fans running, he said it's the best garage he's worked in all day... Temp wise, and it's still frigging hot.

Springs are on, replaced both the torsion drums and cables as well, they are both 25 years old, the left drum was walking and you could see where it was wearing out. Cheaper than a new service call of $145....

$425 out the door so to speak, with the add on drums and cables, new thicker ones, so that should help the door run better.

Can't bitch too much, part of owning a home.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing this is the type with the coiled spring above the garage door opening.
Yeah, I wouldn't touch those.

My aunt had the type with springs over the horizontal span of each track, looked like really long trampoline springs, with a cable running through the center. Those I could see DIY-ing.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
About 6 months ago I had a spring break and go boom.

We were sitting in the living room when we heard a big Snap noise in the garage. Sure enough the spring on top of the door snapped.

Went ahead and had both springs replaced and all the rollers replaced with metal rollers with a warranty ...

Good to go now with no worries.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3484 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
HRK -- I sent you a text re local garage door service guy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Depends on your mechanical skills and how long it would take to get somebody to do the job.
I've done both types. The type that work by extension, with one on each side of the door, are pretty easy and not especially dangerous with any reasonable amount of caution and common sense.
Just do both sides and if you have two doors side by side for your spouse car, do that one too. They all have approximately the same number of cycles and that's what breaks them.
My most recent one was the other type that is coiled up across the header of the double door. That could be very dangerous if done incorrectly. The truth is that you need two short lengths of the correct size of pipe(about 18" long) to wind and unwind the coil and some basic hand tools like an adjustable wrench to use on the set screws. There are a number of videos online to show how its done and it isn't rocket science, both the technique and the proper safety precautions. Even if you don't want to attempt it yourself, just watch one and you'll see for yourself.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
There are not many things around our home I would not hesitate to repair myself. Or at least consider trying. Those garage door springs are not one of them.

There is a tremendous amount of energy stored in those coiled springs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I did an overhead garage door spring ONCE.

I couldn't really afford someone at the time...or so I thought.

I ALMOST killed myself trying to save a few bucks.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Pffft. Garage door springs are nothing. Try changing out coil springs on a car sometime. Big Grin

I had to cut 5/8" off of the front passenger spring on my Mustang a few weeks ago. Had the right tool, did everything correctly, but was still scared to death the whole time. Handling a loaded spring is not for the weak at heart.

I put on my full face motorcycle helmet for the job. Live bombs is what they are.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
HRK -- I sent you a text re local garage door service guy.

Got it Thank you!