SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shiloh Battlefield
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shiloh Battlefield Login/Join 
Picture of Wilberforce
posted
Shiloh NMP is expanding.

https://www.courieranywhere.co...I92rnYmiQR-0vKBuSqc0

---------------
"Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears; let the weak say, “I am a warrior.”
--Joel 3:10, ESV

Posts: 186 | Location: North Texas | Registered: December 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I rode to the park last year. It’s stunning.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I used to go there regularly but haven’t been in a couple years. It’s impressive. You can feel the history and it’s a beautiful ride on a bike. I need to get some folk together and make a day of it soon.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I've never been, but it's on my bucket list. My grandfather fought there.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
In January I ready Cold Mountain. Short of visiting, short of living in that time, Charles Frazier got me pretty close.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James in Denver:
When I was young, my school did a field trip to Shiloh (rural West TN). I have always wanted to go back, and will do so soon.

Thanks to Trump!

James in Denver

Our elementary school took a trip up there, and I well remember how excited I was to get to see the battlefield. Buying one of those infantryman hats (kepi?? in grey, of course) was a childhood high that will not be forgotten.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:

Did you mean great grandfather? Wink

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:

Did you mean great grandfather? Wink

Jim

No Sir I did not. My father was born 1900. His mother was his father's 2nd wife as his 1st wife had died. My grandfather was young when he went to war. He fought at Shiloh, according to my father. He was captured (I don't remember where) and was a POW in Memphis. I met my grandmother around 1950 at the Home for Confederate Veterans on the Mississippi gulf coast.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I used to go there every year with my Boy Scout troop and over the years have hiked almost every hiking course they had created, including the 20-miler that started on the road from Corinth.

I have wanted for many years to go back with my dad on one June 6-7th, the anniversary of the battle (1862).

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6062 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I headed out to the park early, knowing that if you ask nicely the rangers will let you raise the flag over the park. They let me hoist the flag that day. It was very foggy, and I knew that fog is what the soldiers faced coming into battle that day. Anyhow, here's a gratuitous picture of my adventure.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post