SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good info about runcible spoons
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good info about runcible spoons Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I was reading a British detective story, “The Black Cat”, by Martha Grimes. There was a mention of runcible spoons. And also of a verse, “The Owl and the Pussy-Cat”. Curious, I went to the web and found this:

‘They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon,’
“The Owl and the Pussy-Cat”
—Edward Lear, 1871

And this:
“Upon re-reading this poem as an adult, I am forced to ask: ‘what on Earth is a runcible spoon?’ So, I got to work on some researching, and I was surprised with what I learned. Hopefully, you will be too.

The word runcible, as it turns out, was invented entirely. Supposedly, ‘runcible’ was one of Lear’s favourite nonsense words, which makes sense when you learn that Lear used the term time and time again to describe different things, from a ‘runcible hat’, to a ‘runcible cat’ or ‘runcible goose’. So, the question arises; how do we define ‘runcible’?

Well, with regards to silverware, a runcible spoon has been defined from around the 1920s as more of a rounded fork, featuring three broad, curved tines, and one sharpened edge, frequently used for hors d’oeuvres. Runcible spoons can come in a vast variety of sizes, going from examples small enough to use for eating pickles, to almost comically large items, possibly perfect for dining on mince and slices of quince.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/b...uncible-spoon/%3famp

The complete poem here:
https://www.jenieyolland.com/w...is-a-runcible-spoon/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your google link went 404. But based on your description, sounds like a spork.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
^^^ First thing I thought, but with a sharpened edge. Prison spork.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17280 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Third vote for spork!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Only reference I’ve seen is in Pynchon’s “Gravity’s Rainbow” which has short scene with a fight using “sharpened runcible spoons”

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post