SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    fly-over country vs. dry-over country?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fly-over country vs. dry-over country? Login/Join 
posted
I have a friend in California with whom I worked for several years before retiring. We trade emails fairly often and he generally starts his email with the question, "How is my bored buddy in fly-over country doing?". I have now started my emails with the query, "How is my mummified buddy doing in dry-over country?".

He has taken offense to my humor and says I am being callous and insensitive to the serious problems hissstate faces with the wildfires and water problems. My wife agrees with him and says I tend to be too sarcastic with my humor. Do I owe my friend an apology with my "dry" sense of humor or am I right to defend my boring but "beautifully green and water-blessed" Tennessee?

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Meh, he shouldn't give it out if he can't take it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You owe him nothing. Seems it’s ok for his ass to make fun of people but can’t take rebuttal.
Just keep on being yourself, if he doesn’t like, too bad, he shouldn’t start it.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I kind of see the issue two ways. My knee jerk reaction is that he is being a bitch about it.

Thinking about it further, he is likely to know people who have been seriously effected by the issue… such as losing their home and all of their earthly belongings to wildfire. So in that sense, the two jabs are certainly not proportional. I have never heard of anyone losing it all due to being in flyover country.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think he is being too touchy, but he is probably contaminated with wokeness and excessive sensitivity from the people he lives among.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
If he can't take that he would be way too sensitive for me. But then again I was born and raised in Alabama, lived in Appalachia for close to 20 years - so I really don't care what people say about where I live.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is both woke and most likely worried.

If he can't take it, he should be quiet

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just apologize and sign all your emails, "maskless in TN"

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
All else being equal, you've got mosquitoes, you win. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8352 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
He needs to take the stick out of his butt. With sensitivity like that, he'd last about 10 seconds around here. And yeah, this IS flyover country...we want all the east and west coast nutjobs to fly over and keep on going.

Posts: 8594 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Even though we managed to squeeze out a little rain this morning, this fly-over country has also become dry-over country.

92fstech posted while I was typing my post and I agree, fly-overs can keep on flying over as far as I am concerned.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2091 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Just refer to his area as 'fucked over' country. That's what's really happening there (yes, and here in the Northeast where I live).
It's the truth. I know it and I wouldn't be offended by it. If you're offended by the truth, you really have a problem.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I would tell him "thanks, we like Californians just flying over us without stopping". At least that is how I would look at it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Send him a case of bottled water to "make up."

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ And a cord of firewood.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Yup.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I would call him out for dishing it out and being a little bitch about getting it back. It may not be proportional, but Californians are like a locust plague for this country. Their upity arrogance to believe that because we don’t live in CA we would be bored is comical. I would be who you are, if his shorts are knotted tell him to stop dishing it out.

Posts: 2964 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

I never considered Tennessee flyover country so you should educate him. My definition is pretty much the Mississippi River to the Sierra Nevada and Cascades.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Ask him how all those environmental policies are working out out there?

Posts: 9527 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Tennessee really isn't even flyover country.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10492 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post