SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer driving accidents
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer driving accidents Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
If you have a subscription to the WSJ, there is subscriber only video article today about autopilot accidents that I thought was interesting. Seems like the videos and data (black box type info) is not really available to the public directly, including vehicle owners. WSJ got ahold of some of the data indirectly.

The gist: autopilot is only good to the extent of the patterns it has been fed. And even then, still a little unreliable. Like for some reason not recognizing a T intersection.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13085 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I was going to try to get an unlocked URL but sure enough, for some reason, WSJ special-cased this series of videos, so as to make that not possible.

For those who subscribe, this link will work:
WSJ 7/29/24: The Hidden Autopilot Data That Reveals Why Teslas Crash Video and data gathered by the Wall Street Journal from over 200 Tesla Autopilot crashes reveals that longstanding concerns about Tesla’s camera-based technology, which differs from the rest of the industry, are showing up on the roads and putting the public at risk.

For everyone else, all I can say is I'm hopeful for other, unlocked articles from WSJ and/or other news organizations that will pick up on this topic. This video was eye-opening.

Posts: 15143 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a local fatality. Sort of seems like no one's responsible- The company making it, the guy using it etc.......

quote:
Tesla was in 'full self-driving' mode when car hit, killed motorcyclist on SR 522 in April

https://komonews.com/news/loca...t-system-sr-522-wsp#

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13490 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Tesla was in 'full self-driving' mode when car hit, killed motorcyclist on SR 522 in April
The "driver" admitted to being engaged with his cell phone. Mad

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I think this is the most relevant part of the story:

"Tesla says at present neither system can drive itself and that human drivers must be ready to take control at any time.

Full Self-Driving” is being tested on public roads by selected Tesla owners. The company recently has been calling it FSD Supervised.

After the crash in a suburban area about 15 miles northeast of Seattle, the driver told a trooper that he was using Tesla's Autopilot system and looked at his cellphone while the Tesla was moving.

I know people want to blame the vehicle, but if this information is correct then it is solely the driver's fault.

And I want to point out that many people want to demand perfection from autonomous vehicles, but I think once they reach the point that they're safer than human drivers, they should be allowed to go.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a little confused? Being a biker (bullet bike) who was at fault here? Did the biker make a really stupid move? I've seen that happen waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy more than once. I'm not making an excuse for neither driver nor rider nor Tesla. More than one time I have had to be hard on the brakes for a biker and more than once I have had to be hard on the brakes for a driver.

Posts: 7670 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
Why is DOT and MVSS not banning "auto pilot"?

Stupid drivers that are supposed to "be ready to take over" stop paying attention and then people get killed. False sense of security, but then the name "auto pilot" implies it can drive itself.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post