SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FDA Warns More Kratom Makers Over Illegal Sales, False Claims
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FDA Warns More Kratom Makers Over Illegal Sales, False Claims Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Oh, man, I love Edward Hopper!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My gastroenterologist has treated several patients in liver failure due to supplements from China. The Chinese don't give a damn what they put in the capsule and it might be the herb they say, it might be herb they say but contaminated (carcinogen, actual prescription drug the herb supposedly mimics, salmonella, etc), or it might be something else entirely. For example, here is a past thread about FDA's website containing page after page after page of warnings about Chinese supplements. In other words, if you're going to use supplements purchase them from established US suppliers with QA/QC not the lowest cost fly by night Chinese product on Amazon/Ali Express/eBay.

To paraphrase Shugart, "if it's strong enough to cause an action, it's strong enough to cause a reaction"

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Those are all excellent points. I would tell anyone contemplating kratom use to be very aware of quality, purity, and contamination issues.

For me, the risk element is superceded by the pain issue. I know and accept this risk.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Pretty good thread, para on a roll.

How do you take kratom?

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It's usually sold as a bulk powder or in capsule form. I mostly mix the loose powder into water, much like making Japanese powdered green tea (coincidentally has a similar taste).

For travel I bring along the capsules. Usually take about 4 at a time.

You can also vape it, if that's your jam.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Do you need a kratom smasher to make the pills?

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
You put them in salads.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Well, it's usually pronounced "crate 'em", so....

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
The FDA dancing to Big Pharma's tune again, no doubt. They pulled the same stunt with red yeast rice.

It's a fine line between shutting down snake oil salesmen and helping to protect big pharma's financial interests. Unfortunately, it's more of the latter than the former.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
My gastroenterologist has treated several patients in liver failure due to supplements from China. The Chinese don't give a damn what they put in the capsule and it might be the herb they say, it might be herb they say but contaminated (carcinogen, actual prescription drug the herb supposedly mimics, salmonella, etc), or it might be something else entirely.

Bingo, that. I know next-to-nothing about Kratom but I know what was in the last batch of ChiCom counterfeit cigarettes that were seized en route to the Philadelphia area. Short version, tobacco wasn't the main ingredient, and the outright toxic crap in them terrifying.

I'm not opposed to traditional medicine, naturopathic remedies, or what have you. I'm opposed as hell to ingesting anything from the PRC. Corruption and inefficiency among their civil service and health authorities makes any claims of testing basically meaningless.

Posts: 2461 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The point is well taken, but kratom comes from SE Asia, not China.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Kratom is bad medicine, I believe Florida banned it.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
My sister used to take it for help sleeping and she got some really potent stuff that knocked her out for like 16 hrs.

She had to go to the hospital where she was revived with no adverse long term effects.

From what she told me, its an opioid agonist (mimic) that doesnt suppress breathing (or shed be dead).

Its effects on opioid addiction sound promising and it should be studied and possibly regulated.

quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Any medicine can be bad medicine if it used in the wrong way. My wife has chronic back pain and when she has a bad flareup she uses Kratom, and it helps. She uses a low dose and only 5-6 times a year.

We buy from a reputable source that has the Kratom tested by an independent lab for bacterial pathogens, lead, and potency.

It is probably not a choice drug of abuse because too much can cause nausea. Can idiots abuse it? Idiots sniff gas and canned air to get high. So yeah.

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of kratom until I read this article a few days ago.

https://www.stripes.com/branch...-kratom-2383913.html

Civilian contractor charged in newlywed Keesler airman’s death was impaired by kratom, FBI report says

BY MARGARET BAKER• THE SUN HERALD • JULY 31, 2021

BILOXI, Miss. (Tribune News Service) — A civilian contractor charged in the fatal wreck that killed one airman and critically injured three others at Keesler Air Force base had taken the herbal supplement kratom and had marijuana in his system at the time of the crash, documents show.

That and other information came out in a criminal complaint against Emmett J. Bennett, a 24-year-old Biloxi man charged with involuntary manslaughter and operation of a vehicle while impaired and resulting in death.

FBI special agent Hallie T. Ivy filed the complaint. The FBI, the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Air Force Security Offices and the Biloxi Police Department handled the investigation. The FBI has jurisdiction because the wreck took place on federal land, and the contractor is a civilian employee.

The fatal crash that took the life of Keesler airman Daniel J. Germenis, 20, happened shortly after 1 p.m. Wednesday after several witnesses spotted Bennett driving a Ford F-150 pickup truck erratically and speeding at the Air Force base in Biloxi.

Bennett later spoke to investigators and told them he had taken one shot of the herbal drug kratom during a noon lunch break and had ingested 10 of the kratom pills around 10 a.m.

Kratom, which is banned in various state but not in Mississippi, is a controversial herbal supplement that supporters claim is a natural cure for various illnesses and alleviates opioid withdrawal symptoms.

Federal authorities have long pushed to make the supplement a Schedule 1 or 2 controlled substance because of its mind-altering effects.

Vehicle dragged airman 100 feet

Witnesses reported seeing Bennett acting strange prior to the incident, “getting into and out of his vehicle and cursing for no apparent reason.”

The fatal crash occurred about about a mile from where witnesses first spotted him.

Bennett allegedly was speeding and narrowly missed another crash before his pickup truck crossed the northbound lane of Ploesti Drive and struck a light pole.

After that, the complaint says, Bennett’s vehicle hit the four airmen on the walking track.

Germenis was dragged about 100 feet, and the truck stopped about 180 feet from the point of impact, the report says.

After that, the complaint says, Bennett got out of his vehicle and walked over to Germenis who had been dragged by the pickup truck and started “shaking” him in an attempt to “wake him” up.

Germenis, who celebrated his one-month wedding anniversary two days before the tragic accident, later died at Keesler Medical Center, and the others suffered critical injuries. He was assigned to the 336th Training Squadron.

“Team Keesler is devastated by the passing of one of our Airmen,” said Col. Bill Hunter, 81st Training Wing commander. “Every airman matters at Team Keesler and has a vital role in our mission in support of national defense. We express our deepest sympathies to Daniel’s family, friends and Training Group team. He will be deeply missed.”

A field sobriety test

After the fatal incident, Biloxi police officer Jason Cummings performed a field sobriety test on Bennett.

When it first started, the officer said, Bennett was “initially nodding off and falling asleep during field testing” but about 39 minutes later “a stimulant of some kind kicked in and Bennett was pinging around the room.”

The stimulant is believed to be kratom.

Bennett had an initial appearance in federal court in Gulfport after his arrest.

He remains jailed.

“The airmen of the 336th Training Squadron at Keesler Air Force Base are devastated by this tragedy,” Lt. Col. Ken Hirose, commander of the training squadron, said in a release. “Daniel was a model Airman who was well-known throughout the organization for his enthusiasm and joyous spirit. He was a wingman to all of us and our thoughts are with his family.”

(c)2021 The Sun Herald (Biloxi, Miss.)

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^If he had kratom and marijuana in his system, how do they know the problem was caused by kratom?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
I had never heard of kratom until I read this article a few days ago.

https://www.stripes.com/branch...-kratom-2383913.html

Civilian contractor charged in newlywed Keesler airman’s death was impaired by kratom, FBI report says

BY MARGARET BAKER• THE SUN HERALD • JULY 31, 2021

BILOXI, Miss. (Tribune News Service) — A civilian contractor charged in the fatal wreck that killed one airman and critically injured three others at Keesler Air Force base had taken the herbal supplement kratom and had marijuana in his system at the time of the crash, documents show.

That and other information came out in a criminal complaint against Emmett J. Bennett, a 24-year-old Biloxi man charged with involuntary manslaughter and operation of a vehicle while impaired and resulting in death.

FBI special agent Hallie T. Ivy filed the complaint. The FBI, the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Air Force Security Offices and the Biloxi Police Department handled the investigation. The FBI has jurisdiction because the wreck took place on federal land, and the contractor is a civilian employee.

The fatal crash that took the life of Keesler airman Daniel J. Germenis, 20, happened shortly after 1 p.m. Wednesday after several witnesses spotted Bennett driving a Ford F-150 pickup truck erratically and speeding at the Air Force base in Biloxi.

Bennett later spoke to investigators and told them he had taken one shot of the herbal drug kratom during a noon lunch break and had ingested 10 of the kratom pills around 10 a.m.

Kratom, which is banned in various state but not in Mississippi, is a controversial herbal supplement that supporters claim is a natural cure for various illnesses and alleviates opioid withdrawal symptoms.

Federal authorities have long pushed to make the supplement a Schedule 1 or 2 controlled substance because of its mind-altering effects.

Vehicle dragged airman 100 feet

Witnesses reported seeing Bennett acting strange prior to the incident, “getting into and out of his vehicle and cursing for no apparent reason.”

The fatal crash occurred about about a mile from where witnesses first spotted him.

Bennett allegedly was speeding and narrowly missed another crash before his pickup truck crossed the northbound lane of Ploesti Drive and struck a light pole.

After that, the complaint says, Bennett’s vehicle hit the four airmen on the walking track.

Germenis was dragged about 100 feet, and the truck stopped about 180 feet from the point of impact, the report says.

After that, the complaint says, Bennett got out of his vehicle and walked over to Germenis who had been dragged by the pickup truck and started “shaking” him in an attempt to “wake him” up.

Germenis, who celebrated his one-month wedding anniversary two days before the tragic accident, later died at Keesler Medical Center, and the others suffered critical injuries. He was assigned to the 336th Training Squadron.

“Team Keesler is devastated by the passing of one of our Airmen,” said Col. Bill Hunter, 81st Training Wing commander. “Every airman matters at Team Keesler and has a vital role in our mission in support of national defense. We express our deepest sympathies to Daniel’s family, friends and Training Group team. He will be deeply missed.”

A field sobriety test

After the fatal incident, Biloxi police officer Jason Cummings performed a field sobriety test on Bennett.

When it first started, the officer said, Bennett was “initially nodding off and falling asleep during field testing” but about 39 minutes later “a stimulant of some kind kicked in and Bennett was pinging around the room.”

The stimulant is believed to be kratom.

Bennett had an initial appearance in federal court in Gulfport after his arrest.

He remains jailed.

“The airmen of the 336th Training Squadron at Keesler Air Force Base are devastated by this tragedy,” Lt. Col. Ken Hirose, commander of the training squadron, said in a release. “Daniel was a model Airman who was well-known throughout the organization for his enthusiasm and joyous spirit. He was a wingman to all of us and our thoughts are with his family.”

(c)2021 The Sun Herald (Biloxi, Miss.)

Was it the marijuana or kratom or a combination? I think the marijuana is probably a drug more abused as stated earlier too much kratom causes nausea which is very unpleasant. If they are mixed together I don't know what the effects are. Marijuana mixed with any psychoactive substance is going to make anyone unsafe to drive. Marijuana alone makes it unsafe to drive.

Also kratom acts as a mild stimulant similar to coffee when taken in a low dose. Higher doses produce a sedative effect. So the above story does not make any sense.

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Kratom makes a very poor recreational drug. You usually can't get a buzz off it. If I take a little too much, what happens is...nothing, except I waste a little money. Beyond its pain-relieving effect, it doesn't really do much. You can't say the same thing about any other opiate drugs, legal or otherwise.

I also discovered that withdrawal is cake. When I went into the hospital last year for my heart failure, one thing I was worried about was being suddenly cut off from my kratom, and whether there'd be a nasty withdrawal (and I know nasty withdrawal as I went through it TWICE with prescription opiates).

Well, there was a withdrawal phase, but it was almost nothing. A mild sense of discomfort that lasted all of one night.

Again, this herb has been a Godsend. I'm all for regulation, but outright banning would make me very, very upset.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
quote:

Any medicine can be bad medicine if it used in the wrong way. My wife has chronic back pain and when she has a bad flareup she uses Kratom, and it helps. She uses a low dose and only 5-6 times a year.

We buy from a reputable source that has the Kratom tested by an independent lab for bacterial pathogens, lead, and potency.

It is probably not a choice drug of abuse because too much can cause nausea. Can idiots abuse it? Idiots sniff gas and canned air to get high. So yeah.

If you find a trusted source, great, but here's what unscrupulous sellers do: take a clean product get a great lab test and sell something altered usually cut to extend the profits.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post