SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FDA Warns More Kratom Makers Over Illegal Sales, False Claims
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FDA Warns More Kratom Makers Over Illegal Sales, False Claims Login/Join 
posted
I am posting this for informational purposes only. I know there has been discussion on this forum before regarding the benefits and risks.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has sent warning letters to two more companies — Cali Botanicals of Folsom, California, and Kratom NC of Wilmington, North Carolina — for illegally selling unapproved kratom products, which the companies claim can treat opioid addiction, withdrawal, and a host of other problems including depression, anxiety, and cancer.

It is the latest push by the FDA to crackdown on "unscrupulous vendors" of unapproved products containing kratom. In March 2018, the agency warned Front Range Kratom of Aurora, Colorado; Kratom Spot of Irvine, California; and Revibe Inc of Kansas City, Missouri, for illegally selling kratom products, as reported by Medscape Medical News.

"We have issued numerous warnings about the serious risks associated with the use of kratom, including warnings about the contamination of kratom products with high rates of salmonella that put people using kratom products at risk, and resulted in numerous illnesses and recalls," Acting FDA Commissioner Ned Sharpless, MD, said in a news release.

The FDA has also found high levels of heavy metals in kratom products.

Yet despite FDA warnings, "companies continue to sell this dangerous product and make deceptive medical claims that are not backed by science or any reliable scientific evidence," said Sharpless.

"As we work to combat the opioid crisis, we cannot allow unscrupulous vendors to take advantage of consumers by selling products with unsubstantiated claims that they can treat opioid addiction or alleviate other medical conditions," he added.

There are no FDA-approved uses for kratom and the agency has advised against using kratom or its psychoactive compounds mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine in any form and from any manufacturer.

According to the FDA, the companies who received warning letters use websites and social media to illegally market kratom products, making unproven claims about the ability of the kratom drug products they distribute to cure, treat, or prevent disease. False claims include:

"Kratom acts as a μ-opioid receptor-like morphine."

"In fact many people use kratom to overcome opiate addiction."

"Of course, people who are using kratom to overcome a pre-existing opiate addiction may need to use kratom daily to avoid opiate withdrawal."

"Usage: It is for the management of chronic pain, as well as recreationally."

"Kratom is frequently used as a natural alternative to treat depression, anxiety, addiction, diabetes, chronic pain and fatigue. Kratom has been reported to have taken the place of brand name drugs like hydrocodone or oxycodone for individuals, all the way to weaning people off of heroin."

"Some researchers have even claimed that kratom can protect you against cancer!"

"Kratom is used for energy, to increase attention/focus, to relax, and also to treat pain and addiction. Here is just some of what our customers have used kratom to treat ... chronic pain, migraines, opiate addiction, ADHD/ADD, anxiety, depression, arthritis, insomnia and much more!"

"Health fraud scams like these can pose serious health risks. These products have not been demonstrated to be safe or effective for any use and may keep some patients from seeking appropriate, FDA-approved therapies," the FDA said.

The FDA has requested responses from both companies within 15 working days.

Healthcare professionals and consumers are encouraged to report any adverse events related to these products to the FDA's MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program.

LINK: https://www.medscape.com/viewa...&impID=2007306&faf=1

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think I had an excellent under-dash 8-Track player made by Kratom, back in the 1970s. Some bastard stole it out of my VW. Didn’t know they were still in business.

Posts: 26919 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I've been using kratom for almost a year now (just bought a big bag today). All I can say is that most of those "claims" are true. Risks? What pharmaceutical doesn't have risks? I can get salmonella at my local Chipotle.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16363 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I think I had an excellent under-dash 8-Track player made by Kratom, back in the 1970s. Some bastard stole it out of my VW. Didn’t know they were still in business.

Kraco

Posts: 3925 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I've been using kratom for almost a year now (just bought a big bag today). All I can say is that most of those "claims" are true. Risks? What pharmaceutical doesn't have risks? I can get salmonella at my local Chipotle.

It’s been used for over 100 years in many countries but the US has great lobbyist. I guess all the claims you read walking through GNC don’t count since big Pharma isn’t nervous about them.

Posts: 3925 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Never heard of the stuff. Guess since I don't use opiods I wouldn't have been subjected to ads about it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
closest gas station to me now

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15597 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it

Posts: 107628 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's a Schedule 1 controlled substance in Arkansas. Possession is a felony.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I'd never heard of it either, until a forum member right here turned me onto it. It's just a Southeast Asian herb used for its pain-relieving properties. An opoid-like analogue without opiate side effects (gee, I hope the FDA doesn't hound me for making unsubstantiated claims!).

Kratom allowed me to get off opiates like Oxycodone. It gave me my life back. I continue to use it every day. I use a lot- over $300/month- but the alternative is living a life of pain.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16363 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The FDA dancing to Big Pharma's tune again, no doubt. They pulled the same stunt with red yeast rice.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a tree (Mitragyna speciosa) and a cousin to the coffee tree.

Posts: 12697 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I thought it was that plastic they put on handlebars and stuff.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
That's kraton, Boss. But close!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
These are the same scientists that told us to take the Covid Vaccine to prevent Covid? Those scientists?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's kraton, Boss. But close!
I thought kraton was those clubs the police hit people with.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Kratom is the primary ingredient in Krylon paint, or so I've heard.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Krylon? Wasn't that a planet visited in the original Star Trek series?

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
We could do this all night... Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
all night...