SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Beaches near Orlando
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beaches near Orlando Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Most of the beaches in Volusia County (New Smyrna, Daytona, Ormond, Ponce Inlet, etc) have car ramps. I used to live in Texas and thought driving on the beach was nasty. They do it better here and I’m a fan.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Cocoa Beach is good, also close to Kennedy Space Center, which is a good place to visit, no animated characters, lots to see and do, IMAX theater etc.

Kennedy is very cool. Expect to pay about $50 a person. And I want to say parking was $20.

We were at coco beach in April. Kennedy had just started to open back up that week. I think some things like the bus tours to the lauch pads were still shut down. So I would check before going.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
New Smyrna Beach, known for shark attacks, just saying.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kennedy is very cool. Expect to pay about $50 a person. And I want to say parking was $20.

Shoot that's just two tacos, a micky mouse ice cream, and a couple of cokes at Disney... Big Grin

quote:
New Smyrna Beach, known for shark attacks, just saying.

True but it's not like hundreds or thousands of attacks, more like 9, in a year.

Link

Why New Smyrna Beach has so many shark attacks
By Rebecca Turco Volusia County
PUBLISHED 7:59 AM ET Jun. 18, 2021
VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. — Experts say it’s atypical two people were bitten by sharks in New Smyrna Beach on the same day, even in an area deemed the Shark Attack Capital of the World.

What You Need To Know
Volusia County averages nine attacks per year

Most shark attacks aren’t severe in Volusia County

RELATED: Rough surf, shark attacks lead to beach rescues in Volusia County
The shark attacks happened about an hour and a half apart Monday in waters roughly two miles apart, according to Capt. A.J. Miller, a watch commander for Volusia County Beach Safety.

Volusia County has a five-year annual average of nine attacks, according to the International Shark Attack File (ISAF). The county has more shark attacks than anywhere else on the planet but most are not severe, explained Gavin Naylor, who manages ISAF.

Naylor estimates the chances of getting bit by a shark in New Smyrna Beach are 10 times higher than anywhere else nationwide, but he says that probability is still small.

“You’re far more likely to get involved in a fender bender driving to New Smyrna Beach,” he said.

Naylor says the strong tidal flow in the Ponce de Leon Inlet leads to more baitfish in the area, which in turn boosts shark numbers. And outside the inlet, on the Atlantic side, there is a patch of water good for surfers. The sharks are provoked when people splash their hands and kick their feet.

“When people are paddling on their board, the soles of their feet catch the light and very quickly, in exactly the same way the scales on a mullet or a menhaden might catch the light,” explained Naylor. “And when you’re a predator, you don’t tarry. You have to be quick and make a quick decision.”

Volusia County’s earliest record unprovoked shark bite happened in 1956 in New Smyrna Beach, according to ISAF data. In all, as of 2020, there have been 244 attacks in the city’s waters, compared to 320 county-wide.

Brevard County has the second-most shark bites in the state, with 153 attacks recorded since 1929, according to ISAF.

Pinellas County has 13 confirmed unprovoked shark attacks from 1882 to 2021, stated the University of Florida’s Florida Museum, while Manatee County has four.

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post