SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone use Gordon Ramsey’s Hexclad Pans?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use Gordon Ramsey’s Hexclad Pans? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I primarily use cast iron and stainless, but am curious to know if anyone here has used the Hexclad stuff. The idea of being more lightweight is tempting, but I have a difficult time trusting celebrity endorsements and these seem a bit overpriced and hyped.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12351 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It looks good but when I researched it as I recall the non stick aspect was not very good.
Maybe I can did out the video when compared.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
No experience with Hexclad, but I bought my wife some (Henckels) Zwilling Forte pans when they were on sale at Williams-Sonoma.
They work well and the non-stick coating is rated very highly.
She loves them.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16538 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like you, we also use mostly stainless and cast iron. But we do keep a couple nonstick pans around for occasional use. I looked at the Hex Clad, and ended up going with All Clad HA1 series recently. They’re great so far, but like all nonstick pans, I expect to replace them in a couple years. I’ve found that the extremely slippery release properties of nonstick taper off after a bit, but only using them at medium-low heat and below helps them last the longest. And regardless of the claims of some mfgrs, I can’t fathom the idea of using metal utensils in them.

Posts: 1705 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
If you're interested in non-stick cookware this is the best I've ever encountered.

https://fromourplace.com/colle...dFYkFNxoCKbMQAvD_BwE

Posts: 7551 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a cheaper brand of non stick that lasted about 6 years since we cook a lot. The next ones we bought were stainless and my wife hated them.

We then bought a set of Hexclad about a month ago and my wife loves them. They appear to be build like a tank and the nonstick works great but I can’t give any recommendations on longevity.

I remember them being pretty expensive but so far totally worth it. I think ours was a 12 piece set for mid $600.

Posts: 3933 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Maybe somebody here has found the magic bullet, but in my experience everything I have ever owned that was non-stick failed. Didn't matter how much it cost.

Now I just buy inexpensive non-stick cookware, toss it when it starts to give up, and replace it with more inexpensive options. Doesn't bother me nearly as much pitching the expensive stuff.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15733 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you're asking out of morbid curiosity or if you're actually shopping for cookware, Ronin.

If shopping...I moved into my house in 2008. My S-I-L gifted me a set of ANOLON pots and pans. Granted, I don't do a lot of "heavy" cooking, but after 15 years, they are holding up wonderfully and still possess their non-stick feature. I hand wash them...never put them in the dishwasher per the manufacturers instructions. I also place a doubled paper towel between components when storing so they don't get "rub" spots or get dinged up.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
While being a hybrid, it does neither task good. If you want a non stick pan, get a truly nonstick like All Clad or Analon. If you want something for high heat/searing, get carbon steel or cast. All Clad has it's outlet "seconds" sales all the time which are really good deals. Just need to take care of nonstick pans. I only hand wash my stuff, use silicon utensils, and use pit protectors if stacking. I have Analon Advanced nonstick stuff with lifetime warranty (which is awesome, no questions asked) and DeBuyer Pro Mineral B skillets for high heat stuff.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Hexclad is not good
Most reviews bring this out

Here is what I use and can recommend, inexpensive too.
ALL non stick will need to be replaced after several years of use

OXO Non stick

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
Hexclad is not good
Most reviews bring this out

Here is what I use and can recommend, inexpensive too.
ALL non stick will need to be replaced after several years of use

OXO Non stick

OXO is an entry level brand and great for the price. It’s what we started with but there’s no comparison to Hexclad. Hexclad is built like a tank in comparison. The only thing I’m not sure about is the longevity of the non stick surface (like any non stick pans) since we haven’t had them long.

a1abdj
As to nonstick not lasting you definitely need to get rid of all your metal utensils and go with wood or something synthetic. Since nothing really sticks to them you don’t really need to use the typical abrasive cleaning pads either.

Posts: 3933 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
Coincidentally enough, I've been seeing a bunch of ads and hearing about Hexclad pans recently, so I did a bit of reading... America's Test Kitchen reviewed it:

https://youtu.be/AU3mUjIF3A8?si=EnYmvsVW4TcL9D5-

To summarize: Eggs will stick to it if cooked without any butter/oil/grease.

Now, it could be argued that ATK's testing approach wasn't appropriate for this type of pan (despite Hexclad touting itself as "non-stick") and Hexclad is pretty upfront that eggs will stick if cooking on a dry pan, so there is that.
Like Steelcityfishanddive already stated, it's a hybrid that does neither things well... much like most multitools. To me, I can't justify the high price for a mediocre product. Lastly, as I understood, this design of partial teflon coated pans, isn't new; the only novel thing about Hexclad is the cool looking hex pattern.

Posts: 135 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Wife is getting a full set of replacement kitchen pans, pots this year, we used to go for Calphalon but everyone we've ever bought seems to last 3 to 4 years max and the coatings are coming off, or it's scratched.

This year she's getting the Kirkland Brand of non stick pots and pans, we typically buy stuff for each other that we use vs things we really don't need, for the holidays.

Link Kirkland Signature 12 Piece Set

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
So.. Only 1s1K has actually used them and likes them so far.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
If you already use cast iron primarily, and are looking for something a little more lightweight, why not try out carbon steel pans?

Surprisingly non-stick and as robust as cast iron. All of the same use and care that applies to cast iron applies to carbon steel.

Edited to add: And, after looking up the price of Hexclad, you can get carbon steel pans for MUCH less money and they will probably still be going strong after Hexclad the brand doesn't exist.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6091 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised so many people are still using non-stick.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9700 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I use the Farberware set my parents got as a wedding gift in 1964. Anything else, I buy no name stuff from a restaurant supply store. No non stick anything.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16122 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
curious to know if anyone here has used the Hexclad stuff

Direct experience: We own one. We cook with gas. We NEVER use the Hexclad. Tried cooking eggs in it and it was a sticky eggy mess.

Hamburgers are ok, but seriously I could cook hamburgers in a $12 Walmart pan and it would be the same result.

Find something better. And that's not from anything I read. I OWN ONE.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10941 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Slightly off topic in that I'm not addressing Hexclad but rather my "non-stick" journey.

I've always preferred cast iron and quality stainless for cooking but there are times when a non-stick pan bests suits.
Back in 1999 I did extensive research on what was available and what users had to say. Ended up focused on Cybernox by Sitram. (No longer in current production, apparently replaced by Sitram's Swiss Diamond line. https://www.dvorsons.com/Sitra...bernox/Cybernox.html)

A 26cm (10.2") pan was $125 which was expensive in 1999!

For the most part it has performed as advertised these past two decades. But honestly using and cleaning a very inexpensive Tramontina ProLine PFOA-Free reinforced ECLIPSE nonstick pan is much quicker. They are in the "when worn toss and replace" category.

So I have both a high end expensive and cheap "beater" non-stick pan. When asked I recommend the Tramontina. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16258 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have moved totally off non-stick... even for eggs. The trick for eggs on steel is to heat up the pan enough so it won't stick.

Posts: 693 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post