SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cargo Box Advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cargo Box Advice Login/Join 
Picture of bonfire
posted
Needing a cargo box for our highlander. I have narrowed it down between these two models but open to hear if anyone has any other advice. Using the factory cross bars which are rated at 165 pounds. Reviews give the Thule a slight edge due to easier installation. This is only for trips and will not be on the vehicle full time.

https://www.autoanything.com/r...-motion-xt-cargo-box

https://www.yakima.com/skybox-16-carbonite

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Think of it more like a "system". Do you have other Thule or Yakima accessories? particularly if they require keys, it's better to stay with the same brand, as you can key them alike. I'm "locked" (see what I did there?) into Thule for that reason. Either one make good products though, if somewhat expensive.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Aerodynamic boxes are better. Loading across a full width box is hard. Craigslist has used boxes all the time.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I have a Yakima Skybox 16. I just loaned it to a relative last night and installed it on his QX80. I was discussing with my wife, and I realized that box is somewhere between 12-14 years old.

I think of Yakima and Thule as Ford and Chevy. They are both good at what they do, neither really has a substantial lead over the other. You probably cannot go wrong with either one.

Posts: 2307 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Look at the SportRack models. This is Thule’s economy line. They certainly are not as pretty but the absolutely do the job.
I bought one brand new on Craigslist for $75 and been going strong for 10 years now with many trips on top of a Highlander.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25428 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I prefer short boxes that are set further back and behind where the windshield disperses frontal pressure. If your box hangs over your windshield, air flowing up the windshield will catch the underside of the box, and the box is going to act like a giant parachute as you drive through it.

I've put thousands of miles on a Yakima Rocketbox (shorter, 12 or 14, I forget) on a Subaru Outback following the above philosophy, and the noise and mpg hit is nominal.

Here's a picture picture of my Rocketbox on my Outback from 2013 in Zion.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I wanted to go with a medium box but then I looked at the way the wife packs and thought the bigger box would be better. Thank you everyone for the responses. I think I am leaning towards the Yakima box. It is $200 cheaper than the Thule and I can't find where the Thule is $200 better other than weighing 5 pounds lighter.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bonfire:
I wanted to go with a medium box but then I looked at the way the wife packs and thought the bigger box would be better. Thank you everyone for the responses. I think I am leaning towards the Yakima box. It is $200 cheaper than the Thule and I can't find where the Thule is $200 better other than weighing 5 pounds lighter.

Good choice. The Yakima also has a lifetime warranty if I recall correctly.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If it's only going to be used a few times a year I would look at what is involved in mounting both. If one is much easier and takes less time I would lean that way.

If you're mounting it to the existing bars and only using it for trips I wouldn't worry about compatible with other stuff either.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
It seem both mount about the same. Reviews give the Thule a little edge but not sure it is a $200 more edge.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Both links show it out of stock, and delayed by COVID, the craigslist idea might be good, find someone who thought this is the way to go and ended up not liking the product, or deciding they no longer need it.

https://seattle.craigslist.org...ance=15&postal=98026

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If you are in no particular hurry, REI typically has Yakima and Thule products on sale at 20-25% off at least twice a year.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by bonfire:

Good choice. The Yakima also has a lifetime warranty if I recall correctly.

Yakima's warranty is top notch. I had a folding kayak carrier strip a nut recently. I emailed Yakima, and they are sending me a new carrier. I have had these for YEARS and could not recall when or where I bought them - Yakima still sending a new one.

I don't know if it matters to you, but Yakima is a US company and Thule is Swedish.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
If your vehicle has a hitch, I would look at hitch mounted boxes. we have one from Rolla and I think Thule makes one also. Way easier to load and unload, and no wind noise. Installation is also easier. having used both, the hitch mounted one wins in my opinion. Though, with 3 daughters and 2 dogs, I am usually using both the hitch carrier and a roof carrier!

Posts: 782 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post