SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carrying on trip from Ohio to Florida
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying on trip from Ohio to Florida Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:

Always learn something here.
So if I have a CCW from a state that doesn’t recognize FL, and don’t meet all the points in HRK’s post, I can’t carry on body in FL, but can carry encased (but not locked) in my car?
Is that correct?
Almost correct.

Everything that you said is true, but you do not even need "a CCW from a state that doesn’t recognize FL." You can have a handgun in your car if it is "securely encased" (example, in a gun rug that is zipped closed, or just naked in your glove compartment), whether or not you have a concealed weapons permit, as long as you are not legally prohibited from owning a firearm in Florida -- basically, if you can answer all the questions on a 4473 "properly."

And learned something more.
Thank you!

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
But... the chances are if you heaven forbid need to use that gun... it being incased in the back or even somewhere accessible unloaded or even loaded by the time you uncase it, it will probably be too late.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

But... the chances are if you heaven forbid need to use that gun... it being incased in the back or even somewhere accessible unloaded or even loaded by the time you uncase it, it will probably be too late.
If you're referring to the Florida discussion above, your assertion is not correct.

As long as you are not prohibited from possessing a firearm (convicted felon, etc.), you can have a loaded ready-to-use handgun in a closed but unlocked glove compartment or between-the-seats console. Easy access, reasonably fast. No need for a concealed weapon permit, neither from Florida, nor from any other state.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
As has been said before, Handgunlaw.us .

I would not call law enforcement in the states you are travelling through. Who are you talking to? How do you know if they know what the hell they're talking about?

Also, as I've said before, I print out the pages of every state I'm travelling through and put them in a binder in the order that I'll be passing through. Easy access to the pertinent information such as duty to inform, carry in roadside rest areas, do no gun signs have force of law, etc..

Handgunlaw.US

Posts: 1227 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be aware of all States "Duty to Inform" laws in case you are stopped for a traffic violation.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be aware of all States "Duty to Inform" laws in case you are stopped for a traffic violation.

Just FYI, in FL you do not have to inform Law enforcement you have a firearm...

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
We moved a kid from Minneapolis to Tallahassee last year. Tough two day drive but I really enjoyed it. Spent the night in Nashville. Visited the Mother Church. The country ham was spectacular on the way out of town the following morning.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Must inform Laws don't matter a bit, if you get pulled over what matters is that you didn't really piss off that Officer needlessly. So, what happens when you don't inform and that Officer calls in for a record check. Strike 1 and 2 are what happens and if you get even a tiny bit lippy when confronts you about your CPL that will be strike three and you and your car will be going to jail so you can be "detained" until a complete check of your record and fingerprints are done.

The smart thing to do is inform that officer as soon as he is at your window you have a concealed carry permit and inform him of any weapon status.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5665 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post