SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    6,599 mph at Holloman AFB
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6,599 mph at Holloman AFB Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Muzzle velocity of a .30-'06 round is 1,840 mph.

...and then it instantly starts to decelerate. This this keeps right on going.................

And speaking of ballistics, assuming the sled weighs 100 pounds (and it likely weighs more), traveling at 9,679 fps it would have 145,601,369 foot pounds of energy. Almost as much as a 10mm....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the science research I want my tax dollars to go to. No mating habits of Bees in the arctic.

I wish there was more explanation like what they are using to get that kind of speed. Those guys have a pretty cool job. The difference between science and screwing around is writing down the results.

Posts: 4776 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
When I first saw this I instantly wondered how long the track is to give it plenty of time to slow down since the tracks won't offer much friction.

Track is 10 miles long I believe.

At 1 mile per second is 10 miles enough.

Posts: 3925 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
When I first saw this I instantly wondered how long the track is to give it plenty of time to slow down since the tracks won't offer much friction.

At 1 mile per second is 10 miles enough?

If it ends in a ramp by the ocean, sure!

I'm curious how the heck they slow this down without destroying whatever is flying down the track. Water seems like it would rip apart whatever's on the run.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

At 1 mile per second is 10 miles enough.

Actually, 1.833 miles per second.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
At 1 mile per second is 10 miles enough?

If it ends in a ramp by the ocean, sure!

I'm curious how the heck they slow this down without destroying whatever is flying down the track. Water seems like it would rip apart whatever's on the run.

One of the other videos said they use a water brake and showed it in use. It brought the sled from <whatever the top speed was> to zero in about a second. Kind of puts a carrier trap in perspective.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Damn.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I'm sending the U-Toob link to my Granddaughter who is in the Junior year of her Aeronautical Engineer major Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

Please remind me, is "Plaid"'speed faster or slower than "Ludicrous Speed"?

Posts: 3484 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308: One of the other videos said they use a water brake and showed it in use. It brought the sled from <whatever the top speed was> to zero in about a second. Kind of puts a carrier trap in perspective.

I'd like to see a video of that as much as the original video.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308: One of the other videos said they use a water brake and showed it in use. It brought the sled from <whatever the top speed was> to zero in about a second. Kind of puts a carrier trap in perspective.

Look at the middle of three clips at the bottom of the page in the OP. At about the 3:40 mark.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkcSsZttuxg

Posts: 7269 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

Please remind me, is "Plaid"'speed faster or slower than "Ludicrous Speed"?

Plaid is the visual manifestation of going ludicrous speed, not a speed itself.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15598 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
quote:

Look at the middle of three clips at the bottom of the page in the OP. At about the 3:40 mark.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkcSsZttuxg
That guy had balls of steel to ride that thing through 40g’s of deceleration.

Thanks for posting.

Posts: 3925 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
The big brains at Skunk Works and elsewhere are so far into the future on star wars weapons development that we won't know what they are working on today until 30 years or more into the future. I was talking to some guys working on a rail gun project back in the 70's who told me someday they would be able to shoot a ball bearing sized projectile and hit a target on the moon. Talk about long range matches! The potential is mind boggling.

And then there are these. No need for rails. No mass. 186,000 mps. Coming to a theater near you soon.

Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Warp speed Mr. Scott!

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post