SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple Air Tags - personal device trackers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple Air Tags - personal device trackers Login/Join 
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I have used them in my wallet and several sets of keys. I found one of my sets of keys way under the seat of my loader. I would have never thought to look that far but the Airtag was pinging and my phone said it was less than one foot away.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
HRK,

Email me, my email is in my profile.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I've been eyeing them for two uses:
  • a RFID blocking wallet with an AirTag on the outside. I don't want my credit cards to transmit outside the wallet, but I want the AirTag to transmit.
  • Keychain. I haven't lost my keys in a long time, but I ain't ever been this old either...

As far as the OP's concern on stalking, Apple actually has a built-in Anti-Stalker feature for AirTags that if one not registered to your iPhone is following you it sends an alert.

Tile is a competitor technology older than AirTags, but it lacks the AntiStalker feature. From what I've read, the recommendation is Tile for Android users and AirTags for iPhone users.
  • Bought all of this mid-June (Bought this wallet instead) so I have nearly 9 months run time.

A few interesting tidbits:
  • My keys fell out of my pocket and went under the scrap wood in my garage. I didn’t hear them fall out and never would’ve looked there. The airtag on my keychain lead me right to them.
  • Both AirTags are associated with my personal iPhone. My business iPhone notified me of AirTags following me so antistalker feature works.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Truth Seeker
    Picture of StorminNormin
    posted Hide Post
    So when the people returned my vehicle that had an AirTag in it, I asked them if it notified them. There were three people in the vehicle and all had iPhones. Only one said she received a notification that an AirTag seemed to be with them. She said she was the only person that had “Find My” turned on. The others did not have that setting turned on. When they turned it on, they supposedly got a notification. An interesting theory I want to test more.

I have zero intention of ever placing one to track a person. I just want to know how they work. Any I place in vehicles I own/possess have them with the speaker removed so a potential thief can’t find it and may ditch the car knowing there is an AirTag in it they can’t find.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I'm taking a trip to Europe this summer and will place them in my checked luggage. I'm curious to see how well they worked in that scenario.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Was that you
    or the dog?
    Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
    posted Hide Post
    I bought an expensive E-Bike a year ago and had concerns about theft. I have an Air Tag well hidden on the bike and it seems to work well.

Posts: 1628 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Edmond:
    HRK,

You guys realize this thread is over a year old, right?

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Truth Seeker
    Picture of StorminNormin
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Edmond:
    HRK,

You guys realize this thread is over a year old, right?

Para, my apologies if I should have started a new thread. I did a search before starting a thread and saw this one which seemed relevant so I just added to it. I did see that it was old, but thought it was frowned upon to start a new thread when one existed.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of smlsig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 2PAK:
    I'm taking a trip to Europe this summer and will place them in my checked luggage. I'm curious to see how well they worked in that scenario.

I just came back from an extended trip to South America and am happy to say they worked well in being able to track my luggage around the airport. On our last leg into Asheville from CLT I noticed that my suitcase wasn’t near the plane and sure enough when we landed I got a text from American that my luggage was left in CLT and I would be notified when it was delivered to Asheville and they would deliver it to my house. The next morning I checked and saw that it was in the Asheville airport and decided to go down and get it as I don’t live too far away.
    Worked like a charm. In fact I now have one in my Spyder in case it ever gets stolen.

------------------
    Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post