SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship in Pacific ***Update with report page 18***
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship in Pacific ***Update with report page 18*** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Naval officers simply don't have it compared to a professional US merchant mariner.

Indeed. I'm getting really concerned now that all of those submariners and their boats that are out there on patrol will never make it back home.
And the aviators...I hope they were trained with merchant marine trainer aircraft by merchant marine aviators or we're in big trouble there, too.
And the nuclear power plants...OMG, Just thinking about who in the US Navy is responsible for those sends shivers down my spine.
God bless 'em all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
The Flyboys seem to have stand downs for safety purposes all the time. It seems to me the Navy and Cost Guard need to do the same thing.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
quote:
Naval officers simply don't have it compared to a professional US merchant mariner.

Indeed. I'm getting really concerned now that all of those submariners and their boats that are out there on patrol will never make it back home.
And the aviators...I hope they were trained with merchant marine trainer aircraft by merchant marine aviators or we're in big trouble there, too.
And the nuclear power plants...OMG, Just thinking about who in the US Navy is responsible for those sends shivers down my spine.
God bless 'em all.

I got a whiff of sarcasm there.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30899 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
Perhaps navy helmsmen and navigators need to cross-train with the USCG?

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anarion:

I think the more accurate argument (which seems rational at the moment) is that they need to do a tour with merchant marines before they get checked off to drive a boat.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
quote:

God bless 'em all.

Well their record of late is less than sterling.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
I guess these boats need curb feelers now.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Maybe it should be turned over to an AI. If Deep-Blue and Alpha-Go can beat the best players at chess and Go, then driving a ship should be easy. Just don't tell Elon Musk. He'll lose his mind.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anarion:

Helm is only following orders from those who have a better perspective of things, more like the OOD/OOW are in need of better training and more practical time with ship handling.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.c7f.navy.mil/Media/...-malacca-update-121/

7th Fleet:

SOUTH CHINA SEA - The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) was involved in a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while underway east of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore on Aug. 21.

There are currently 10 Sailors missing and five injured. Four of the injured were medically evacuated by a Republic of Singapore Navy Puma helicopter to a hospital in Singapore for non-life threatening injuries. The fifth injured Sailor does not require further medical attention.

The collision was reported at 6:24 a.m. Japan Standard Time, while the ship was transiting to a routine port visit in Singapore.

The ship is currently sailing under its own power and heading to Changi Naval Base. At this point, no fuel or oil is visible on the water’s surface near the ship.

Search and rescue efforts are underway in coordination with local authorities. In addition to tug boats out of Singapore, RSN Fearless-class patrol ships RSS Gallant (97), RSS Resilience (82), RSN helicopters and Singaporean Police Coast Guard vessel Basking Shark (55) are currently in the area to render assistance

An MH-60S helicopter from the amphibious assault ship USS America (LHA 6) is in the area providing search and rescue assistance. An additional MH-60S helicopter and MV-22 Osprey are expected to arrive soon.

Alnic MC is a Liberian-flagged 600-foot oil and chemical tanker with a gross tonnage of 30,000.

Initial reports indicate John S. McCain sustained damage to her port side aft. Damage control efforts continue while the extent of damage is being determined. The incident will be investigated.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pictures now available

Looks like a slow crunch, any faster speed by the tanker and it could've sliced the destroyer in half.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-wa...ar-strait-of-malacca

From one of the comments:
quote:
So it is being reported that the crew is fighting flooding in two berthing spaces and Shaft Alley. On a Burke Class, Shaft Alley would include: Nr 4 A/C Plant, Nr 5 Firepump, Nr 5 Seawater Cooling Pump, lB and 2A Line Shaft Bearings ,Port Shaft Thrust Bearing.

My Navy friend said if they were following Restricted Maneuvering Doctrine due to the traffic in the straight, no one would have been sleeping.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Prayer for those injured, and for those missing as well as their families.

quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Maybe it should be turned over to an AI. If Deep-Blue and Alpha-Go can beat the best players at chess and Go, then driving a ship should be easy. Just don't tell Elon Musk. He'll lose his mind.

But what happens when Sky Net becomes self-aware?

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8365 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
When I was around 13 years old I took the Michigan Boater Safety class so that I could safely and legally operate a watercraft. I recall the instructor amid all of the rules, regulations, and basic seamanship told us one thing to remember above all else.

"Be aware, don't hit anything, don't let anything hit you"

Seems like a pretty basic rule that's getting missed somehow in higher levels of driving big boats.

The thing that really jumps to mind for me is even more simple. You're in command of a US Warship in international waters. It seems like the safety of the ship is the top priority, ie, don't let anyone close enough to fire anything at you. If that is the mentality, how the hell do you let tankers and cargo ships hit you????

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Looks like the ship was trying to go to the left. How ironic. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I don't believe in coincidences, which leaves two possibilities:
1) A fatal fault in Navy training and administration.
2) Hostile action against Navy navigation networks.

Posts: 1400 | Location: Butte, Mont. | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I was trying to determine how many significant collisions involving US Navy warships there have been in the past 17 years, and I believe it was five. If that’s the average rate at which they occur, there’s about a five percent chance of two incidents happening within 60 days, or about the time between the Fitzgerald and the McCain: Not very likely, but certainly not impossible. Even if there were only the two incidents within 17 years, the probability of their happening by chance alone within 60 days of each other is about two percent, or 1 in 50.

Many seemingly strange things can happen purely by chance. As the skeptics like to point out about unusual phenomena, if there’s a one in a million chance per day of something’s happening to someone, it will happen to eight people a day in New York City.

Pay attention and live long enough as I have, and one will witness countless odd coincidences that have nothing whatsoever to do with space aliens—or even the Russians (as hard as I find that to believe; I’m convinced they’re going to get me yet).

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Pictures now available

Looks like a slow crunch, any faster speed by the tanker and it could've sliced the destroyer in half.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-wa...ar-strait-of-malacca
Houston, we have a problem.

"In May, the Lake Champlain, a Navy guided-missile cruiser, collided with a South Korean fishing vessel, but no injuries resulted from that crash. In February, another such cruiser, the Antietam, ran aground in Tokyo Bay, gushing more than 1,000 gallons of hydraulic fluid near the American naval base at Yokosuka."

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5294 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Many seemingly strange things can happen purely by chance. As the skeptics like to point out about unusual phenomena, if there’s a one in a million chance per day of something’s happening to someone, it will happen to eight people a day in New York City.

Last year, the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels lost aircraft on the SAME DAY. The odds against that are astronomical, IMO.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevbo:
'also hope everyone is safe'

Uh, no, there are TEN sailors missing and five injured.

'Detection is better now than its ever been'

Evidently not.

tac, deeply saddened.

Posts: 11436 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
AIS. Automatic Identification System, it has been mentioned here in passing, but I think it almost certainly played a role in this collision. To the .mil folks, think of it as an advanced civilian TACAN or IFF.
First, I extracted just two sentences from a rather lengthy post.

Thank you, CaptainMike, for sharing your view of the unfortunate event. It is A Good Thing to read this from folks like you and Alan (Balzé Halzé) who are professionals in this area.

I have just one sort of nit-picky thing re the last three words that I quoted from your post: "TACAN or IFF." My credentials: I maintained both types of equipment, TACAN and IFF, while I was in the Navy, and also for a while in civilian life when I finished my active Navy duty.

TACAN and IFF are two totally different systems, for totally different purposes. I think you probably meant "Transponder and / or IFF." Transponders, also called IFF (Identification, Friend or Foe) in the early days, respond to inquiries by emitting a signal that carries data that basically identifies the vessel's or aircraft's ID on the inquiring radar. Big oversimplification, but it's a response to a "Who are you?" that is generally used for Air Traffic Control and, per your explanation, identification of marine vessels.

TACAN, on the other hand, is a totally different system. Where IFF is used to identify a vessel or aircraft, TACAN (the military version of civilian VORTAC) is a navigation aid. The TACAN or VORTAC base station transmits a signal. The receiver in the aircraft or marine vessel decodes this signal and informs the pilot, navigator, or whomever, of the aircraft's position relative to the base station in terms of radial (degrees, relative to north) and distance from the base station.

While many (most?) marine vessels might have receiving equipment for TACAN, the base stations are normally land-based. Other than aircraft carriers, I am not aware of any marine vessels that have TACAN base stations. There is a fairly limited frequency band available for TACAN; each base station has a frequency that can not be used by any other base station within reception range, so it is not practical for ships in general to be equipped with base station.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post