SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soft boiled eggs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soft boiled eggs Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“Citing different methods from Jamie Oliver, Nigella Lawson, Gordon Ramsay and Delia Smith, the letter writers note there are lots of different ways to cook the perfect boiled egg. …”

Photo in this DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/12372743

A few of mine:

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9471 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Love 'em! But I haven't cooked any for a couple of months. Guess I better get to it! With salt and lots of pepper!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love soft boiled eggs. My wife makes them a couple times a week.

Posts: 1584 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am impressed by how you were able to crack the shell so perfectly straight. Love me some soft boil eggs too.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

Check it out here.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15529 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

Check it out here.

I used to have that Rösle egg topper. For any type of kitchen utensil Rösle is usually the best available. But this gravity-driven egg topper is better than the spring-driven Rösle:

https://a.co/d/csfvs6J

There’s a learning curve for both tools, but it’s shorter, and gentler, for the Egg Clack. I gave the Rösle to Goodwill.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9471 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
OK: We'll see. I just ordered one. Smile

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15529 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I think I was still a kid when last I ate soft boiled eggs my mom cooked.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Sous vide works extremely well for this too.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
I LOVE soft-boiled eggs. This inspired me, and I had 3 for supper last night, with toast. Little bit of salt & a lot of black pepper.

Posts: 1767 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I can imagine a half-man/half-lizard sitting at the breakfast table, uncoiling a long, thin tongue to flick at the gelatinous goo in the open shell.

Posts: 109163 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tell me more. What temp? What time?

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Just had two soft boiled eggs for lunch along with toasted slices of Jalapeño Cheddar cornbread. 6 1/2 minutes each. I never had one of those fancy cutter things, I just use my small spoon to crack the top and peel off the top 30%.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Just had two soft boiled eggs for lunch along with toasted slices of Jalapeño Cheddar cornbread. 6 1/2 minutes each. I never had one of those fancy cutter things, I just use my small spoon to crack the top and peel off the top 30%.

I usually peel 'em & cut in half.

Posts: 1767 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:

195 for 8 minutes is what I learned from Guga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XyvGNEDATw

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

According to people in the recipe section of Anova Culinary, about 40-45 minutes at 145-146 degrees.

https://recipes.anovaculinary....vide-soft-boiled-egg

https://recipes.anovaculinary....ipe/soft-boiled-eggs

There is one that follows the higher temperature mentioned earlier:

https://recipes.anovaculinary..../soft-boiled-egg-566

Posts: 2814 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Ick.

Fry mine in sausage grease.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I did sous vide 143 degrees for 45 minutes per an online recipe--the whites were a gelatinous goo.
Trying cooking at 146 for another 20 minutes. Doubt I will be able to eat these.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I have been using the following method for years with perfect results every time. For larger eggs, increase the time to 6.5min. I'm about at 200ft above sea level; for significantly higher elevations the cooking time will be longer.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
194 F for 8 minutes yields a nicely cooked white--and a thoroughly cooked yoke. Not yukky, but not what I'm looking for. Do these people who post recipes actually eat their result?