SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lactose free milk questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lactose free milk questions Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Was having some discussions, shooting the breeze. Not important just curious.

1. Assumption that for a given quart of milk, the level of lactose has some inherent natural variability from quart to quart, cow to cow, day to day, etc. Do they test each batch for zero lactose in order to claim lactose free? Or do they just put in extra lactase to accommodate the natural variability? If extra lactase is added / leftover in the milk, are there any adverse effects? Or can we basically ingest a lot of extra lactase will no ill effect?

2. Is all lactase the same? Or are their different grades (ie - generic grade, brand level grade or whatever)? Is Clover lactose free milk the same as Fairlife lactose free milk - from the lactose free perspective? Or are there differences (ignore that Clover milk or Fairlife milk may be otherwise inherently better than the other)?

BTW, I just learned that Fairlife milk is owned by Coca Cola which I generally don't perceive as favorable.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
https://www.healthline.com/nut...free-milk#what-it-is

What Is Lactose-Free Milk?
Lactose-free milk is a commercial milk product that is free of lactose.

Lactose is a type of sugar found in milk products that can be difficult for some people to digest (1).

Food manufacturers produce lactose-free milk by adding lactase to regular cow’s milk. Lactase is an enzyme produced by people who tolerate dairy products, which breaks down lactose in the body.

The final lactose-free milk has nearly the same taste, texture and nutrient profile as regular milk. Conveniently, it can be used in the same way and can hence be swapped in for regular milk in your favorite recipes.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I listened to one of Mike Rowe's recent podcasts with the owners of Fair Oaks Farms who make Fairlife milk. A couple of episodes of Dirty Jobs have also been filmed there.

I picked up some Fairlife milk this morning and wish I had discovered it years ago. The taste is fantastic - reminds me of getting fresh milk from friends who owned a dairy farm when I was a kid.

I was surprised to realize that the expiration date for the Fairlife milk I bought this morning is not until mid-October.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I buy the Lactaid brand because it’s easier on my stomach.

The added benefit is a much longer shelf life. I have purchased Lactaid with a 7 week expiration date, and it’s always good for at least 7-10 days beyond the dated shelf live.

You might consider “A2” milk, it is a good alternative for some people.

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
When it comes to lactose-free milk, I have tried them all (Lactaid brand, Fairlife, A2, and the local grocer brand ---> currently Kroger).

Verdict?

Taste wise, I'd have to give a slight edge to Fairlife milk. It does taste the most wholesome-fresh from the dairy like.

Having said that, it comes at a premium price.

Thus, I roll with the local store brand. It tastes good and is way cheaper. I drink a lot of milk (a gallon, or more, per week), so cost is a consideration.

As also mentioned previously, most, if not all lactose-free milk is ultra pasteurized. It lasts an astoundingly long time after opening. In my experience, regular milk goes bad in about 10 days or so.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:
I listened to one of Mike Rowe's recent podcasts with the owners of Fair Oaks Farms who make Fairlife milk. A couple of episodes of Dirty Jobs have also been filmed there.

I picked up some Fairlife milk this morning and wish I had discovered it years ago. The taste is fantastic - reminds me of getting fresh milk from friends who owned a dairy farm when I was a kid.

I was surprised to realize that the expiration date for the Fairlife milk I bought this morning is not until mid-October.

I just listened to that episode yesterday, the husband and wife owners of Fair Oaks Farms were not in any way tree-hugging, granola-eating, super virtuous farmers looking to re-invent an industry but, thoughtful, pragmatic people that came across as rational.

A good listen, I'll have to look into past episodes they had been on, as Rowe has a very high opinion of them and holds them in high regard.
There's No Nipples on that Almond

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I thought most of those types suck, at least as far as taste goes. I think oat milk is a much better sub for the real deal.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17281 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I thought most of those types suck, at least as far as taste goes. I think oat milk is a much better sub for the real deal.

I like and use Silk Oat Milk in my coffee and cereal. One additional benefit over dairy milk is the sell-by date is a month or more out, so you can stock up during sales.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In answer to OP question #1
Any mass produced product,Milk-Cars-Guns, is an average. What you are buying is a blend of ingredients. Any single example could deviate from expectations, but overall most will meet the goals. This is providing the chosen manufacturer is of good reputation. The odds of you obtaining a single bottle of milk, not meeting the standards of the other same brand and same lot number milk in the case, are very steep.
That being said. I can remember recipes, back in the day, that required a specific size bottle of Coke. The cooks claimed a difference in taste from one size container to another. They must have been correct, as the finished dish was delicious.

I weaned myself off of the Coke products a year ago. My Dr had claimed that Diet Coke was bad for me. The going Woke aspect of the Coke management just added fuel to the fire. Now that I know about Fairlife, I guess I’m switching to black coffee. BCM.

Posts: 47 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: July 09, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
So, I sorta kinda know a little bit about some of this.

Underfills are a big deal, legally, so everyone sets their packages to be slightly overfilled. The variance to be accommodated will vary on the package/good/etc.

Things like lactase and fermentation are pretty reliable. Especially when you need 100% consumption, someone will work out time Y required for complete consumption under conditions X.

It should be quite reliable. Usually, if you ask, someone will be able to tell you how far they actually take a process.

“Lactose free” obviously isn’t a well defined term, but they should be able to tell you how much they eliminate.

As far as cooking with it, the main issue is that cracking the lactose increases the apparent sweetness, and will probably affect the glycemic index.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
StrIght heavy cream has much less lactose in it. On average, about 2.5% lactose by weight.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post