SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    netflix 13 reasons why teen suicide rate study
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

netflix 13 reasons why teen suicide rate study Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
One Hundred and NINETY FIVE . . .
"we estimated 195 (95% CI, 168-222) additional suicide deaths among 10- to 17-year-old youths occurred between April 1 and December 31, 2017, following the series’ release. "

Link to journal article

News Link to article and Netflix response

"It states that there were almost 200 more deaths by suicides than expected over the nine-month period following the March 31, 2017 release of 13 Reasons Why season one, and more deaths by suicide occurred in that April than any other April in the last nine years. It also states that deaths by suicide rose mostly among teenage boys.
A spokesperson for the streaming service said: "We've just seen this study and are looking into the research, which conflicts with last week's study from the University of Pennsylvania. This is a critically important topic and we have worked hard to ensure that we handle this sensitive issue responsibly."

The University of Pennsylvania study it refers to stated that people who had watched all of the show and saw the negative outcomes of the main character's death were at less of a risk."

Tell that to 195 families ripped apart so you can sell more subscriptions.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If watching some TV show makes you commit suicide, the world is better off without your weak ass in it.

If you leave this existence so very easily, why wouldn't it be something else other than a TV show which would push you over the edge? If you watch some TV show and that's enough to make you kill yourself, you're such a weakling, life would kill you very quickly anyhow.

Freakin' ridiculous.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
An adult, sure. A 10-17 year old with a 10-17 year old's already messed up brain? That's something else.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Heard this story yesterday afternoon.

Netflix is freaking garbage. This is an extremely creepy show and, apparently, it is also wildly popular among teens.

I'm shutting Netflix down today if for nothing else, producing and feeding this type of crap to our youth...as if they don't grow up quick enough as it is. My money isn't going to finance this any longer.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again we have a simplistic solution to a very complex problem. Teens attempt suicide for a multitude of reasons, not because of a TV show. 10-17 year olds have a lot more sense than we give them credit for.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
It was an outstanding series and I think kids SHOULD watch it to understand the impact of such decisions it leaves behind .

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
An adult, sure. A 10-17 year old with a 10-17 year old's already messed up brain? That's something else.
When you were young, would watching this show have caused you to kill yourself?

Let's get real, people. If watching some TV show makes you end your own life, then you would end your own life for some other lame reason. It's only a matter of time. Come on. There's simply no way that a stable human being would do such a thing.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I say this is very much an example of Correlation isn't causation!

Folks will always find a "reason" for whatever traumatic events are taking place. Show me that every single one of those kids committed suicide because of the show, and I MIGHT believe it, but just because there was a bump in suicides after the show, doesn't mean shit to me.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Watching it by itself? No. But someone already halfway down the road? Maybe. Maybe it provides a justification or rationalization. It's not some who is just fine that watches it and then says "Oh yeah, that's a great idea!". It can be the extra straw for kids who aren't stable.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We have become a nation of nannies. Let's gear all of society for the most fragile among us. Sure, that'll work. It won't hobble us at all. Not a burden or unreasonable in any way.

The United States of Safe Space

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Watching it by itself? No. But someone already halfway down the road? Maybe. Maybe it provides a justification or rationalization. It's not some who is just fine that watches it and then says "Oh yeah, that's a great idea!". It can be the extra straw for kids who aren't stable.

If all it took for someone to give up on themselves is a show, we're fucked. Kids (generally) today are so self absorbed that one little criticism sets them on a very dangerous path to bad things, whether it's drugs or suicide. Blaming this shit on a show is ridiculous at best and an outright lie at worst.

I'd like to see maps of where these suicides took place along with any income statistics for the households. Maybe that would provide more insight into why as opposed to blaming a damn tv show.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another example of the pussifaction of our country.
Raise your kids to be resilient, both physically and mentally. Both boys and girls. Our society will benefit from it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I seriously doubt a TV show is making kids kill themselves.

More likely, families are dodging the truth and scapegoating the show.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5738 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We used to love watching The Three Stooges when we were kids. I do not remember ever having the urge to hit people over the heads with 2 x 4's or sledge hammers.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post