SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let's talk cooking pizza
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's talk cooking pizza Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
How do you like to cook your homemade pizza?

I have always just cooked mine in the oven. A few years back when I got a Kamado I cooked some in there. But sometimes my wife and daughter find them to be a little too smokey.

Should I look at getting one of the pizza attachments for the Kamado? Since the lids stays partially open, would that help impart less wood flavor?

Should I look at one of the counter top propane powered options like Roccbox, Ooni, Solo Stove or other?

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Cast iron pan on the Kamado. Hot fire and not smokey at all

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Preheat our 20 y.o. pizza stone in a 550 degree oven ("Stone" setting in our Wolf oven) for 20 minutes, use a pizza peel to slide the pie onto the stone.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rim'd pan or a stone

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I just use a steel "stone" in the oven. 550F. It works fine and is much easier (and quicker) than firing up the Egg.

I've toyed with buying a dedicated pizza oven but it's kind of hard to justify.

Posts: 20107 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
BGE on a stone with charcoal only. If you're getting it hot enough the time in the grill is very short.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Oddball, pizza stone in the oven. Our stone is 3/4” thick and takes almost an hour to bring to temp but once there, it produces restaurant quality crusts on my pies.

If looking for a dedicated oven, be aware that many are designed to cook at high temps made for Neapolitan style pizzas using Caputo flour. These pies cook in under 2 minutes at temps approaching 900 degrees. If wanting New York style, cooking temps will be in the 500-550 range.

Good luck in your search and please post back with your findings and what you settle on as there are others on the forum who cook their own pies.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
For me it is a pizza stone on the bottom shelf of my oven at 500 degrees.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yep Pizza Stone in oven preheated to 500 degrees.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I did them in my oven for years and they were good. But I find a little smoke flavor from the KJ makes them better.
I also can get the KJ hotter than the oven so they end up being a little crisper (I like the crust thin).
I use a stone, and I put it on a shelf so it sits up high in the dome. I think it stays hotter up top, and there is a little more smoke.
They are done in about 5 minutes.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
Should I look at getting one of the pizza attachments for the Kamado? Since the lids stays partially open, would that help impart less wood flavor?

I've got one of the pizza attachments for the KJ - I got results that were just as good without it.

When you cook yours, are you using just lump charcoal or are you adding additional wood?

Different lump charcoal can have an impact on the flavor too - I like the BGE brand personally. I am not a fan of Cowboy lump charcoal.

Also, are you getting your KJ good and hot? Depending on the crust I shoot for about 500 (600+ for thin crust) degrees when we do pizza on the KJ here.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My wife has always made her own pizza dough, but we've been using the Alton Brown recipe for "brick oven" pizza for about 15 years.

Instead of an expensive pizza stone, Brown said to go to Home Depot or Lowes & get unglazed quarry tile for about a dollar each. Six of the 8" tiles (2 rows of 3) fit in our oven, or on the Weber gas grill.

Preheat oven or grill to 500 degrees, put the pizza on the tiles, and in 4-5 minutes you have a nice "brick oven" pizza.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Preheated ceramic pizza stone in my 700-800 degree Big Green Egg. FOJO large lump hardwood charcoal.

Fantastic.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I use a 1/4" pizza steel. 550 degree gas oven. Excellent leopard spotting on the bottom of the crust, cooks a pizza in about 4 minutes. I can't get color on the top of the crust though and then have to throw it under the broiler for about a minute.

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Ooni Fyra. Pellet fired.
Never tried pizza on the Big Green Egg though. Even though I do have a pizza stone for it (was given to me).

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
^^^ Yep Pizza Stone in oven preheated to 500 degrees.
Same here. Best my oven will do is 500.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
In Pueblo we have a very strong Italian community. Most every large farm in Pueblo County is Italian owned. When its home made pizza time we stop at an Italian market called Gagliano's. Owned by that family for a little over 100 years. We buy their dough, cheese, pepperoni, and Italian sausage. The latter is the best I've ever had. Roll out the dough. Load up the toppings bake at 400 for 20 minutes. I would rather have this then any restaurant pizza I've ever bought.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Pizza steel 1/4" in your home oven. Preheat oven for an hour or so at 550 degrees.

I also have an ooni. Great fun but a bit of a pain to learn. You will make mistakes. Lots of good Youtube videos to help. I love the ooni but the pizza steel is easier.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
…in our Wolf oven…

Can you feel the envy all the way from Texas?

As to the OP’s question, I prefer them cooked off in the recteq. If no pan, I set to 450°. If using a stone, I set the grill to full and let it run for half an hour so it gets up to 550°-600°, then cook off the pie.

At 450° and no stone, it’s super smokey. At 550°+ with a stone, it’s not very smokey.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Well all be darned. While I have always cooked them in the oven on a dedicated pizza stone, I have never preheated the stone.

I'll have to try pre-heating the oven and stone to 500-550 and see how I like it.

Wow, an instance where SigForum may have saved me money. How often does that happen?

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post