SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help removing Adobe Flash icon that keeps popping up?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help removing Adobe Flash icon that keeps popping up? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
My fiance has removed Flash, used uninstall tool a few times and it seems to have removed Adobe Flash. But every week or so this Flash icon thing pops up on her screen and won't go away. It's a PC. I have a Mac and don't know much about fixing this. I can't find any help online.

Anyone have any idea? It's the bottom right, with F and i.

Thanks

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Looks like an information icon. What message is there if you click it? That may provide an answer.
I uninstalled flash about a week and a half ago and have not seen anything like that.

You could check install/remove programs to see if there is still a flash component on the machine.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's a Windows notification. You can manage notifications:

https://www.techrepublic.com/a...tions-in-windows-10/

See if the Adobe app notification is turned on, it may still be lingering even after the uninstall.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
No experience with it, but since stated that, "used uninstall tool a few times and it seems to have removed Adobe Flash." ... my first though is some kind of malicious scam possibly directing download of an "update" or something.

First thing I'd do is go to "Control Panel" and click on "Uninstall a program" in the "Programs" category. Then I'd look for any program that shouldn't be there or seems like it might be a malicious program and uninstall it ... or them.

Secondly, I'd download and install Malwarebytes if not already installed and run it. First time install of Malwarebytes gives a free 14-day trial of the premium edition which includes preventative tools like real time scanning and specific protection from ransomware, After two weeks, it automatically reverts to the basic free version that will detect and clean up malware infections only when you run a scan. Malwarebytes will run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. If Malwarebytes finds nefarious stuff on the computer, click on "Quarantine" and then reboot the computer to allow Malwarebytes to complete removal of malicious files and registry keys.

Another malware cleaner worth a look is "HitmanPro". You could also try "AdwCleaner".

If you still have suspected Malware issues, try resettings your browser to default settings while looking through "Preferences" and "Add-ons" or such, for anything nefarious. But since the picture in the OP doesn't show an open browser to begin with, that may not be necessary.

EDIT: Saw BamaJeepster post after I posted. His idea is a good one to take a look at too.

Posts: 4711 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I'm perplexed. I think it has something to do with the aftermarket webcam that she installed. She has removed flash but when I right click this and go to settings it shows flash settings and has some settings for the camera and the microphone.

It was my understanding that Flash should be removed as it's no longer supported.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
You could try contacting the webcam maker for their thoughts.
You could also contact Adobe or maybe post a question in the Adobe support community ... https://community.adobe.com/

Posts: 4711 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post