SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Antonov 124-100 at local airport
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antonov 124-100 at local airport Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that HRK. You posted the only thing in 10 years that would give me a reason to ever go near the Sanford Airport. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
That is a magnificent beast.

I LOVE the old Soviet aircraft. They did make a lot of ugly aircraft (ESPECIALLY their choppers), but the Su-27 is (IMO, of course) the most beautiful aircraft built in the past 30 years.

Growing up, I used to see a ton of Soviet-era commercial stuff flying into Prague airport. The TU-154s were some of my favorite...like a beefed up 727. They'd rattle the windows of my school when they came over, and on a clear day they'd leave trails of smoke for miles.

I had a buddy who lived near the airport and he swore stuff would fall off the walls when the IL62's would take off. I never got to ride on any of them, because we were always flying the other direction, but they were fun to watch.

Posts: 8612 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
They're common all over the world. I guarantee if you get close enough, you'll see cord showing on most of the tires.
Spoken like a Pilot.

A Crew Chief would scoff at that while pulling a stick of chalk out of the tool box.
On KC-135’s we were allowed 10” of flat spot on the nose wheels and 12” on the main.
Cord showing did not matter.
Chalk was used to identify start and stop point for flat spot.

Why do we see 6 seats up front in that cockpit photo?
Pilot, Co-Pilot, Navigator, Flight Engineer only adds up to 4.

Six seats up front baffles me.

The Rooskies still have a dedicated radio operator so that would make 5.

And I’ve seen one of these and some Russian choppers up close over in Croatia when that shit was going on. One thing they never figured out was tires. They just can’t manufacture high enough quality tires so they end putting a gajillion shitty tires on the big birds.

At the time I was flying the C-141 and at one point in Sarajevo there was a 141ski - IL-76 on the ramp. I thought my late 60s 141 was old school but that Ilyushin took the cake!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThoZNxy2JZk

The vodka burner is rolling!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Watched one lan in Pgh a few weeks ago. It was mind boggling. It seemed to sit in the sky. So big, it looked like it was moving slowly.

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Alaska, the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster occurred. One of the tools needed to kill it was the world's largest concrete pumper and it was in Georgia. They loaded that in the big brother, the Anotonov 225, and it flew to Anchorage to refuel on the way to Japan. It made a 747 look like a Cessna.

Here is an article:
quote:
The Tech That Could Help Save Fukushima: Antonov An-225 Mriya
Nicholas Jackson
April 18, 2011

The Putzmeister 70Z-meter, with its 70-meter flexible boom that can reach over the top of the reactors at Fukushima and deliver hundreds of gallons of water per minute from a safe distance, could help plant engineers keep the dangerous reactors cool. But you have to get them to Japan first. And that's where things get tricky.

The only way to move the world's largest truck-mounted booms on the market is to use one of the world's largest and heaviest manufactured cargo airplanes. A story in last week's issue of New York magazine incorrectly suggested that two of the three Putzmeister 70Z-meters would fly to Japan aboard the Antonov An-225 Mriya ("Dream"), but at least one of the trucks was shipped aboard an Antonov An-124, according to Putzmeister's CEO Dave Adams, just a few days ago.

The two planes -- the An-225 and the An-124 -- are very similar. First flown in 1982, the An-124 is the world's largest ever serially-manufactured cargo airplane and the world's second largest operating cargo aicraft. (The An-225 is the largest, but only one was ever built.) There are a few dozen An-124s in service, with most in commercial use in Russia, the Ukraine and the United Arab Emirates. As the first models of the plane were intended for military use, though, with a projected service life of less than 8,000 flight hours, it's unclear how safe the existing units are; some have flown now for more than 15,000 hours. Because of its payload -- an on-board overheard crane is capable of lifting up to 60,000 pounds of cargo -- the An-124 has flown some notable missions, shuttling locomotives from Canada to Ireland, bringing the granite Obelisk of Axum back to Ethiopia from Rome (in three separate trips), and carrying a whale from France to Japan.

Fifty feet longer than the An-124 and with a payload nearly 70 percent greater than its smaller sibling, the An-225 is not only the world's largest comercial cargo aircraft, but it puts the An-124 at a distant second. Designed by Antonov Design Bureau, a state-owned Ukrainian aircraft manufacturing and services company that has operated out of Kiev for more than sixy years, the An-225 was completed in 1988. There's only one in existence, though a second has sat in a hangar, partially completed, for decades. The An-225 was designed specifically to transport the Buran orbiter, a spaceflight vehicle that only completed one unmanned flight before the Soviet Buran program was cancelled in 1993. The orbiter was destroyed in 2002 when the hangar it was being stored in collapsed.

Even though the Buran program was cancelled, the An-225 has found steady work transporting things that were once thought to be unmovable. For its first flight in commercial service, the plane delivered nearly a quarter-million prepared meals for American military personnel in Oman; the meals weighed nearly 200 tons. The An-225 has also been used to ship locomotives, 150-ton generators, huge quantities of emergency relief supplies, a generator for a gas power plant in Armenia, wind turbine blades and more.

Given that the Armenian generator weighed nearly 420,000 pounds, transporting the Putzmeister 70Z-meter to Japan shouldn't be a difficult task; the Juggernaut tips the scales at 190,000 pounds. Still, the plane will need to make three refueling stops on a 48-hour flight from Atlanta to Japan. The same flight for a passenger plane would take only fifteen hours.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23299 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I got to walk through the AN225 many years ago.

It seemed to dwarf the C5 Galaxy nearby, not to mention all the other planes.

It's amazing to see something that huge and heavy actually take off and fly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spoken like a Pilot.

Well, yes. Also spoken like a mechanic with nearly 40 years of aviation maintenance experience, too. I'm also a flight engineer. And a few other things. So yes, spoken like a pilot. And a little more.

quote:
A Crew Chief would scoff at that while pulling a stick of chalk out of the tool box.
On KC-135’s we were allowed 10” of flat spot on the nose wheels and 12” on the main.
Cord showing did not matter.
Chalk was used to identify start and stop point for flat spot.

Ah...right. Fortunately, the rest of the world doesn't work like that. Except for the russians.

There's a bit more to it than that. Russian aircraft are notorious for having tires that are well beyond safe or reasonable limits, and no, tires shouldn't be showing cord. There are narrow permissible margins, but when a tire is showing cord, it should be replaced.

quote:
Why do we see 6 seats up front in that cockpit photo?
Pilot, Co-Pilot, Navigator, Flight Engineer only adds up to 4.

Six seats up front baffles me.

Captain, Copilot/First Officer, Flight Engineer, Navigator, Electrical Flight Engineer, Radio Operator. Additional crew on board as loadmasters or other, as needed.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I think they're kind of cool looking in their industrial brutalist aesthetic, but I'd rather not fly on one.

Also, I'll never forget someone (here on SF, iirc) once calling russian air rifles "rooskie air shootskies". Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Spoken like a Pilot.
Captain, Copilot/First Officer, Flight Engineer, Navigator, Electrical Flight Engineer, Radio Operator. Additional crew on board as loadmasters or other, as needed.
Loadmaster, I should have thought of that one.
Radio Operator, now that is something new.

Back in the day the USAF T.O. specified flat spot, I would imagine it’s the same today, but my experience was back in the 80’s.
Pilots always questioned it when cord was showing without the required flat spot length.
Realistically you typically had required length absent the groove before cord showed, but not always.
Never saw a nose wheel with cord, but it did occur several times with mains.

As a USAF Crew Chief, they let me crank the engines, but was never allowed to drive.
Did those Dr. Pepper pre-flights.
10/2/4 (Like on the bottle cap of Dr. Pepper ages ago).
10 tires, 2 wings, 4 engines, check all accounted for she will fly. Wink

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
A recent article on the 225:

https://www.airspacemag.com/fl...dream-big-180977305/

When Captain Galunenko first flew the An-225 to the United States, he wasn’t ready for the reaction he would get. After a stop in Seattle, the airplane landed in Oklahoma City to take part in an airshow. It was June 1990, and the Cold War had yet to end.

“People stood in line for hours to get on board,” Galunenko says. “But everyone believed that the airplane was made by Boeing, and they asked me in which state it was built. I said it was built by Antonov in Ukraine, but nobody knew where it was. So we decided to take a small political map of the world and glue it to the wall so that, when a visitor asked where the airplane was from, we would point to Kyiv and Ukraine on the map.”

That's where and when I saw it and walked through it, 1990 in OKC, the Aerospace America Air Show.

That's one big assed honker.

posted Hide Post
The first time I saw the AN-225 was Kabul, Afghanistan. It's girthy, and proof that with enough power, anything can fly.

posted Hide Post
A 124 just delivered five Blackhawks from Poland to the Philippines.

https://www.aircargoweek.com/a...th-five-black-hawks/

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ The Poles are building brand new Blackhawks???? Wow who woulda thunk that???

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
^^^^ The Poles are building brand new Blackhawks???? Wow who woulda thunk that???

https://www.army-technology.co...overnment%20agencies.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Thanks, I had no idea. Great info.

posted Hide Post
124's have been delivering damaged Apache's to Phoenix for years, for repair.

I flew PZL products for eight years. Not my favorite, nor first choice, in manufacturers.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

That's where and when I saw it and walked through it, 1990 in OKC, the Aerospace America Air Show.

That's one big assed honker.

I was there, as well. After Tom Jones died during his aerobatic performance the rest of the aerial displays were canceled, however the Russians asked for, and were granted, a request to perform a flyby in his honor. I remember standing close to the taxiway with the security trying unsuccessfully to have the crowd move back. I recall thinking “C’mon, we want a good look. How big can it be?” When the left outboard engine passed directly overhead I thought “Huh, it really IS big.”

Posts: 12184 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Watch This: Antonov An-225 Mriya, World’s Heaviest Aircraft, Breaks Perimeter Fence At RAF Brize Norton"

https://theaviationist.com/202...an-225-brize-norton/

Yeah, it's not a real sturdy fence.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,