SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pit Boss - Pellet Smokers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pit Boss - Pellet Smokers Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
I just got this Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker assembled.
Finally supposed to start looking like the start of Spring around here next week.
So we’re ready to go....
Except we’ve never used a pellet smoker before.
Anyone here that has this type , brand or style smoker and if so what are your experiences & opinions.

I love the fact it links to your smart phone & has two temperature probes.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
One of the vets I work with invited us over to her home, her husband had cooked a brisket on his smoker. It's a pelleted smoker with the cellphone hookup and probes to check meat temp.

I will say, Grumpy, that it was the BEST brisket I have ever put in my mouth. And this from a guy who lives by Memphis friggin' Tennessee. You're gonna love that thing.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Pit Boss but do have a pellet smoker and can tell you you'll love it. I have a couple friends with a Pit Boss smoker and they have nothing but good to say about them. You may want to add one of these for more smoke flavor because pellet smokers tend to be light on smoke.

Posts: 3470 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Green Mountain Pellet Grill. I didn't realize Pit Boss made a vertical smoker. I like it and the vertical footprint doesn't take up much room. You're going to love it.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
When done right - you can make deer jerky with that. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Mark60,
How does this work?
Where does it go ?

https://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/amnts.htm

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
My pellet smoker has a fan. The smoker tube is NOT for that.
You "cold" smoke whatever (using grill, pellet smoker, etc.) by lighting the tube and smoking the product, then turn the rig on to use as normal.
From my understanding, the fan negates the use of a cold smoke tube while in normal "set it and forget it" mode.

If I misunderstand this, please correct me so I can broaden my use of the tube.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
My pellet smoker has a fan. The smoker tube is NOT for that.
You "cold" smoke whatever (using grill, pellet smoker, etc.) by lighting the tube and smoking the product, then turn the rig on to use as normal.
From my understanding, the fan negates the use of a cold smoke tube while in normal "set it and forget it" mode.

If I misunderstand this, please correct me so I can broaden my use of the tube.

I cant speak for a pellet smoker but I use my tube all the time to hot smoke on my grill.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a whim I bought a Traeger pellet smoker. Now we only use our grill to sear whatever meat we smoke. Smoking veggies is also wonderful. Be warned: SMOKING.YOUR.FOOD.IS.ADDICTING.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Even a smoker with a fan will work with the Amazen tube, my Yoder has a fan as well. You might have to experiment with placement inside the smoker but it works great. Pellets burn so clean that unless your temp is under 200 you don't usually get much smoke. Compared to a stick burner there's less smoke flavor but the ease of cooking makes them great.

I have a pork shoulder going on mine tonight (same reason as you, it looks like winter might finally be ending). I'll run the temp at 175 for the first hour to generate as much smoke as I can, then I'll bump it to 250. The Amazen tube will be in from the start and I just keep it where the fan won't directly blow on it.

Posts: 3470 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Smart Phones, pellets, now that's taking all the fun out of it. Frown

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I just noticed it has a 45# hopper, that's a lot of pellets, a full bag.
If you do an overnight or unattended smoke make sure you check the hopper, I kinda ruined a pork butt once by running out of pellets. I meant to top it off when I bumped the temp up but forgot to and when I got up in the morning everything was cold.

Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I don't have that model but I do have a pellet smoker that I love. The hopper is the same as yours, 45#, more than enough for long overnight cooks for large briskets, etc.

I just smoked a 8# pork butt for 9 hours and it was outstanding!! Almost set and forget, most of what I cook is at 225 with two temp probes and a remote app.

I just recently added a cold smoke box for cheese and salmon smoking. The first try was a disaster, my temp was to high and the cheese melted. Try #2 was dead on, I kept the temp at 90 or just below and the cheese was perfect.

Just about any quality pellet will work, I purchased small bags first to see what flavors I liked then purchased 40# bags after that.

Mine is a Rectec 680

Posts: 3854 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice smoker! I have a Green Mountain which we use regularly.

Pellets are not all the same; out west, most are alder blends.

Check these guys out for some of the purest BBQr's Delight

Posts: 3241 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Do you guys find that the gallon water tray is enough for over night smoking ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%