SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you pronounce caramel?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you pronounce caramel? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I've heard it both ways. Is it a regional thing?

Question:
How do you pronounce caramel?

Choices:
like 'car mul'
like 'kara mel'

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
"Car-mul"/"carmle".

That's definitely the norm in the South.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Well crap. I never though about it before and now here I am saying it over and over both ways.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Say it like it's spelled... with 2 a's!

Cara-mel

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
I pronounce the 'a' in the middle. Just like it's spelled. Wink

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1906 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On a Wing
and a Prayer
Picture of Pilken
posted Hide Post
if it's on popcorn 'car mul' - carmul corn

if it's in a candy bar 'kara mel' - I like mine loaded with peanuts and karamel

-------------------------
“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
- Dr. Seuss

Posts: 2624 | Location: FINALLY just outside of Chicagoland | Registered: April 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
One is correct. The other suggests illiteracy.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I sound out all the syllables.

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
If it’s a soft chew, or something I would eat on its own, I would call it a kara mel.

If it’s a coffee drink, ice cream topping, or ingredient I have always called in car mul.

Not sure how, where, or why I call it that way.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I use both depending who my audience is. Wink

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I sound out all the syllables.

I pronounce it the same way using all of the syllables.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
How do you pronounce “aunt” and “vase”?

“I gave my ont a cara-mel colored vahse” or “I gave my ant a carmul colored vāse”?

Posts: 26942 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Well, from now on it'll be caramel....as it's spelled. You've shamed me into it. Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38723 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Usually simply "want some." LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
One is correct. The other suggests illiteracy.

-Rob

I'm glad I'm one of the smart ones.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Definitely car-mul for me. While I definitely see why people would pronounce it the way it's spelled, I just don't do it.

Posts: 3521 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yum!

Posts: 9169 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So how would you say caramelized onions?

Posts: 47 | Location: Montana | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
How do you pronounce “aunt” and “vase”?

“I gave my ont a cara-mel colored vahse” or “I gave my ant a carmul colored vāse”?
"I gave my ant a cara-mel colored vayce". Smile

And in your first instance, "vahse" should be "vahz".

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I was raised to pronounce it 'carmul' but have since been pronouncing it caramel. Although, I go back to my roots when I say 'carmulized onions'. Soooo, I'm screwed up. Mrs DF and the boys rib me for saying 'white' instead of 'wyte'. I actually pronounce the 'wh' sound but not overly so. This is a source of amusement for my family.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29732 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post