SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are Kubota zero turn mowers good? Now with better specs.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Kubota zero turn mowers good? Now with better specs. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I need to upgrade my worn out Toro TimeCutter and also want to plan for a larger yard. At most, I expect to mow 3 acres of fairly smooth grass. Edit: largest lot size would be 3 acres, most likely 1-2, and subtract for the house and such.

I’m looking at the 42” deck size and I want to mulch. Specifically the model Z231KW-42.

The Kubota seems to have serviceable transmissions and the higher hp Kawasaki engines.

Edit for better details, understanding that it might not all be doable at the $:
Under $5,000 new
Good to great mulching
Kawasaki engine preferred
Serviceable transmission
Max acreage mowed would be 2 acre, sometime maybe in the future
With my current Toro 42”, I’m about 1hr for a once pass cut on half an acre. I’ll have to clock it once the first couple mows get the grass under control.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8346 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
NO experience w/ Kubota, but Kawasaki is DEFINITELY my preference for a gas engine in a Zero-Turn Mower. That said, three acres is NOT small, and you might be wise to consider a diesel powered ZT. Regardless, I'd go for at least a 54" deck, and maybe larger depending on the terrain...Just Sayin' Wink

ETA - In my opinion, 54" is the 'sweet spot' re: Deck size.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8950 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks! 3 acres is not small but on the far side of what is likely and not for a few years yet. Most likely 1-2 acres, any size of which is reduced by the house etc.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8346 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I've owned a few Kubota tractors and have been well satisfied with them, and their better ZTR's have a very good reputation. Having said this I would go with the best hydro drives that you can afford, the better ones last longer, are smoother to operate, and are faster. The 232 has Hydro Gear ZT2200, if you go up to the Z411 you get a commercial rated ZT3600 transmission. They both use the same Kawasaki motor but the 411 is just heavier built, holds almost double the gas, larger (better riding) tires, on and on.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7112 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My brother had about 3 mowable acres (total acreage - house - barns - driveways - misc). 42" took way too long. Unless you have tight landscaping or extremely uneven turf, you should consider something wider (e.g. 48" or 54").

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second the 54" deck. I have a 46" deck on my riding mower for 1/3 acre.

For scale, my push mower has a 22" deck. You would only be two lawnmower passes wide. Thats a lot of passes for 2 acres.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We have a Kubota zero turn diesel with 60" deck, about 30 hp. It is a commercial mower, we mow about 5 acres. Big box store mowers do not hold up under the use we give them. We have owned several commercial mowers including John Deere, this Kubota is the best mower we have ever had.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In your shoes I would be shopping for a used Kubota diesel with a 60” deck. Many have a Yanmar engine which is exceptionally smooth running and reliable.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
In your shoes I would be shopping for a used Kubota diesel with a 60” deck. Many have a Yanmar engine which is exceptionally smooth running and reliable.

Why would Kubota buy diesel engines from Yanmar?

Posts: 7112 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I mow about 2.5 acres here on the farm and I have a Toro Timecutter 5000. I've had it about 8-9 years now and it runs perfect and does a great job. It has a Kawasaki 23 hp in it and you are right, it is a great engine.

For your mowing needs you are gonna need a 50 or 54 inch deck.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5050 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
I have the Kubota ZD1211 60". Upgraded from a Gravely 52". I mow about 5 acres. Best mower ever. Kubota makes their own Diesel engines.

Posts: 399 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We just sold our Montana place where I mowed 2.5 acres weekly with a 22hp Kubota ZG222. It had a 48” deck and was absolutely flawless over 500 hours. I always mulched and kept 2 sets of mulching blades that I alternated and I sharpened and changed after about 8 weeks. Our lawn was very, very lush with professional fertilizer and weed control. The UPS guy once asked me what it was like to live on a golf course. Oh, and the mower stripped very well. I tended to mow on the diagonals.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mow 10 acres with trees and open pastures with a 50in 27hr Dixie chopper Silver eagle. It does a great job for me but I would go to 60in plus for open acreage. You cant beat a commercial grade mower, just saying. I used to bush hog my pastures with a New Holland tractor but the Chopper cuts a lot faster and it looks better afterwards. normally i mow about 3 acres around the house takes about 1 and 45 minutes to finish.

Posts: 450 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kyoung:
I mow 10 acres with trees and open pastures with a 50in 27hr Dixie chopper Silver eagle. It does a great job for me but I would go to 60in plus for open acreage. You cant beat a commercial grade mower, just saying. I used to bush hog my pastures with a New Holland tractor but the Chopper cuts a lot faster and it looks better afterwards. normally i mow about 3 acres around the house takes about 1 and 45 minutes to finish.

I agree. You’re going to want to go commercial. I’d tell you that you’d be better off buying a used commercial but us lawn guys use them up. Anything over 1200 hours is going to need parts. Anything over 2000 hours is used up.

$10k on a Toro Z master, Dixie Chopper, Xmark or Gravely Pro, all in 60” will last you forever. Toro and Xmark have the best cut, Dixie Chopper has the most options and are tough. Dixie chopper wants you to try to abuse their mower. Gravely is widely used by pros depending on if there’s a dealer nearby.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, that Kubota is in a weird class. It's built heavy, but the deck is small & the transmissions/tires are light duty.
I have a 2010 Hustler Fastrack 48 that is in about the same frame size, but has the bigger deck & ZT2800 transmissions. It also 'only' has a Honda 18HP, but is in no way starved for power. 10 years/400hrs & 0 issues that weren't caused by me.

I think you will want a bigger deck for 2+ acres, unless it's flat & open (no trees/obstacles). I have 1.8 acres minus house & 30x48 shop & 2 driveways. before shop, it took an hour & a half, after it takes 1:45 due to all the turns I have to make. The next step up in Kubota is $1k more, but you get bigger tires, bigger transmission & bigger frame, which probably gives you a better ride.

For brand, consider the dealers close to you. Kubota, Scag, hustler, exmark, & some of the others mentioned earlier are all very good brands. Everybody makes lemons at times, that's where the dealer can make or break the purchase. On my country road, there are 4 fastrack 48s within 3/4 of a mile from my house. 2 used to be green & we drive past a JD dealer to get to the Hustler dealer.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
+1 on Hustler. I love Kubota's and bought my first 3cyl diesel compact tractor in the late 1970s. Great machine but pricy as are parts. For mowing I like Hustler/Big Dog. American made, plentiful parts and easy to service. I'd get a 48" deck minimum.

Entry level Kubotas are geared to homeowners and are nothing special, built to hit a price point using entry level parts. I'd take a Hustler Raptor compared to a Kommander every time but moving up to a fastrac or The One would make it the last mower you'll need to buy. Often deals on 200 hr or less mowers if you search. I've made walking around money buying/selling ztrs for the past 20 yrs.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm entitled to this Title
posted Hide Post
Although I thoroughly enjoy mowing with my ZD331, which is an absolute Horse... I would trade it for a Cub Cadet with 4-wheel steering if the opportunity presented itself.

The Cub's, with steering wheels, are awesome. the four wheel steering holds on hillsides like crazy, and the maneuverability is amazing.

(pics just for reference.. I have a 72" ZD, and three of my buddies have Cubs that I have operated)

Posts: 13991 | Location: WV | Registered: October 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by American Pit Bull:

Although I thoroughly enjoy mowing with my ZD331, which is an absolute Horse... I would trade it for a Cub Cadet with 4-wheel steering if the opportunity presented itself. The Cub's, with steering wheels, are awesome. the four wheel steering holds on hillsides like crazy, and the maneuverability is amazing....

I can see how front wheels that steer may be a little better on steep hills but I can't see how it could be more maneuverable than a conventional ZTR that can turn 360 degrees in its own length? If that set up was more maneuverable, therefore faster mowing around objects, I'd think most commercial lawn services would be using them and the other manufactures would be copying?

My ZTR does great on pretty steep hills, the only problem I've ever experienced was one time on wet grass on the steepest grade I have, going side to side. Personally I don't think I'd trade a Kubota (certainly a mid level or up) on any MTD.

I'm entitled to this Title
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by American Pit Bull:

Although I thoroughly enjoy mowing with my ZD331, which is an absolute Horse... I would trade it for a Cub Cadet with 4-wheel steering if the opportunity presented itself. The Cub's, with steering wheels, are awesome. the four wheel steering holds on hillsides like crazy, and the maneuverability is amazing....

I can see how front wheels that steer may be a little better on steep hills but I can't see how it could be more maneuverable than a conventional ZTR that can turn 360 degrees in its own length? If that set up was more maneuverable, therefore faster mowing around objects, I'd think most commercial lawn services would be using them and the other manufactures would be copying?

My ZTR does great on pretty steep hills, the only problem I've ever experienced was one time on wet grass on the steepest grade I have, going side to side. Personally I don't think I'd trade a Kubota (certainly a mid level or up) on any MTD.
The turning radius is the same between lap bar and Synchro-Steer machines.. But IMO, you get more precise turning, when the front wheels are steering, rather than just being pushed by the rear driving wheels.
It really shines mowing side to side, on hills... Which I face constantly on my properties.

The Commercial Cubs are impressive.. One friend has over $20k into their top tier model.. He traded his Kubota for a Ventrac.. Then went to the Cub.. He def. reduced his cut time.

I have been impressed with Ferris ZTs, and my Kubota is as tough as a brush hog.. But None were better than the Synchro-Steer Cubs.

Results may vary, but I would def. test one prior to deciding on a model.

Posts: 13991 | Location: WV | Registered: October 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never been on a cub, but I suspect the side-hill performance is more of a weight & balance issue, rather than being completely due to the front wheel steering. If the front end washes out & you counter it hard, the ass end can wash out too. Seat & lap bar adjustment can make a big difference in how it feels on hills. With the lab-bars in straight position, I have to push the seat all the way back. It's a wheelie machine on flat concrete. Angle the bars forward ~15* & I can move the seat forward a click or 2 & it's much better balanced. More weight on the front will keep those casters going in the direction I want.

A wheel would be nice to more easily drink a beer while mowing. I tested a country clipper that had a single joystick as well.

The video was exaggerated, probably for production purposes as much as marketing. A) There's no reason to go across that hill, up & down would have been just as fast, diagonal would look better.
B) He was hauling ass on the lap-bar mower & jerking it around. The cub did look better, but I was expecting some crab-walk type magic. If your back wheels are moving at different speeds, you are sliding & gouging the turf, just like if you pivot any ZT. If you reduce the difference it's less severe. If you slow down, it's less severe.

There's too much side hill for every machine & it's less than people mow regularly & way less than people think. There's a reason the manual says to go up & down, rather than across hills.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post