SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple caught RED Handed >>>>>>>
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple caught RED Handed >>>>>>> Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
It's NOT the battery, that's an excuse.

I bought my iPhone 7 just over a year ago. It has had an apple battery case on it since new and ... the phone battery itself is almost always on 100% (it uses the case battery first).

All that doesn't matter. The phone "knows" the "wear condition" of the internal battery. I would almost bet the rent that's the metric they use. If so: Charge level does not matter.

There's an app you can install that will tell you the wear state of the internal battery. I forget what it's called. My 6S was "new old stock" or the like. Still had the plastic on the glass. Nonetheless: Battery "wear" had it down to something like 85% or the like? Whereas my brand new iPad was at something like 98%.

Just looked: "Battery Life" it's called. Claims my iPad is at 96% and my iPhone 6S is at 87%. Charge level is inconsequential.

Ok, but you don't understand the battery case. Battery wear is from charge cycles mainly. I think after 500 charge cycles the batteries start to degrade. With the Apple Battery case, the phone uses the entire battery case PRIOR to using the phone's battery. So my phone battery is always at 100% (because I usually charge it everynight). So the phones battery gets degraded much much less, because it's never being discharged, always the apple battery case first.

Update: I just downloaded the battery wear level app, and it said 3% wear..wear level very low.......so my battery is at 97% new. AND, the latest IOS update slowed my iPhone 7 down noticeably.

The phone runs on the battery all the time. Even if plugged in. So if the phone is on, battery wear is happening.

With the Apple battery case, it runs off of the battery case, even if it runs off of the battery, the battery is always at 100% because the case runs down first, the actual phone battery never discharges and the phone is only 1 year old. It's the discharging and charging that really wears the batteries down.

REGARDLESS, I ran that app and it said my battery is at 97% NEW and the latest update still REALLY slowed my phone down.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I bought my iPhone 7 just over a year ago. It has had an apple battery case on it since new and ... the phone battery itself is almost always on 100% (it uses the case battery first).

All that doesn't matter. The phone "knows" the "wear condition" of the internal battery. I would almost bet the rent that's the metric they use. If so: Charge level does not matter.

There's an app you can install that will tell you the wear state of the internal battery. I forget what it's called. My 6S was "new old stock" or the like. Still had the plastic on the glass. Nonetheless: Battery "wear" had it down to something like 85% or the like? Whereas my brand new iPad was at something like 98%.

Just looked: "Battery Life" it's called. Claims my iPad is at 96% and my iPhone 6S is at 87%. Charge level is inconsequential.

Ok, but you don't understand the battery case. Battery wear is from charge cycles mainly. I think after 500 charge cycles the batteries start to degrade. With the Apple Battery case, the phone uses the entire battery case PRIOR to using the phone's battery. So my phone battery is always at 100% (because I usually charge it everynight). So the phones battery gets degraded much much less, because it's never being discharged, always the apple battery case first.

Update: I just downloaded the battery wear level app, and it said 3% wear..wear level very low.......so my battery is at 97% new. AND, the latest IOS update slowed my iPhone 7 down noticeably.

The phone runs on the battery all the time. Even if plugged in. So if the phone is on, battery wear is happening.

With the Apple battery case, it runs off of the battery case, even if it runs off of the battery, the battery is always at 100% because the case runs down first, the actual phone battery never discharges and the phone is only 1 year old. It's the discharging and charging that really wears the batteries down.

REGARDLESS, I ran that app and it said my battery is at 97% NEW and the latest update still REALLY slowed my phone down.

The battery case powers the battery. The battery powers the phone. Always.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PowerSurge,

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The battery case powers the battery. The battery powers the phone. Always.

Regardless the battery TESTED 97% life left, with the battery life app. The last update sloooooooooowed my phone down to where it was incredibly noticeable. Clicking on certain things used to be instant (apps etc.) now the same various apps take 4-5 SECONDS. The phone is exactly 1 year old......not 2 years old to where the battery is fairly degraded.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need to do a wipe and restore or perhaps your phone has other issues. Also, it's recommended that the battery be calibrated monthly. I've read a number of articles which show that full depletion and recharge cycles end up making batteries last longer than those that remain charged 100% like a laptop that stays plugged in all the time.

Bottom line, your problem may not be throttling.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder. Historically, updates have always changed some settings back to a default. Some of those can affect battery life and performance. Last update turned on bluetooth on mine, and I never use that. Sometimes for example it can give some apps the ability to run in the background when not needed or desired, etc. Also Apps may need to be updated and optimized for the new version... sometimes for some apps that takes a while. It's a good idea to go through and look at everything and turn off anything not needed after any update.

I've had iPhones from the 3g and I keep them at least 2 years, I kept a 5s 4 years. I always update the week the updates come out and never had an issue. I have never had a battery issue, even after 4 years. Same for my wife and both Daughters. We all plug them in to charge every night when going to bed... regardless of the current charge status.

Guess we are just super lucky! My Daughter just replace her 4... ~6 years old, only because she dropped it in the toilet! The phone and the battery on it was still fine... before taking a swim.

Also.
Just like any computer... updates usually get bigger, with more features, and are thus more demanding on the hardware... just the way it is.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The last update sloooooooooowed my phone down to where it was incredibly noticeable. Clicking on certain things used to be instant (apps etc.) now the same various apps take 4-5 SECONDS. The phone is exactly 1 year old......not 2 years old to where the battery is fairly degraded.

My 2-year-old 6s has been fine. The only thing I've noticed that's gotten slow is the weather.com app, but that thing is loaded with crap.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
I bought my wife the i6 many years ago and she has been bitching about the performance after she performs OS upgrades. I guess she may be right this time.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Good news for older Apple iPhone owners. Due to the slow down issue they are going to offer $29 battery replacements for any iPhone 6 or newer through dec 2018. So if anyone is having battery issues now is the time to get a new factory battery for $29.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
So generous 29 x 3 phones plus 10 percent tax.. when these are done in 12 months... I am going to the samsung side.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Some people just want their devices to work.

That's the bottom line. Apple's goals with all its devices is that they should "just work." With as little complexity and as little end-user knowledge of how they work, or how to make them work, as necessary.

TBH: That model does not suit me well, because I'm an IT guy. But I understand it.

Like I said: IMO this is a tempest in a teapot. Would it have been better for Apple to have put a user-configurable setting in the phone, and defaulted it to "go easy on the battery" mode? Perhaps. But I can't fault them for the way they went.

I completely agree with the above post. I have only a basic knowledge of the technical issues involved and alleged and I will freely admit that I am a huge Apple fanboy. But part of the reason that I am a fanboy is because Apple does try to make the user experience as pleasant, seemless, and hassle and error free as possible. I do not think that they did anything with an agenda to try and force a product upgrade. They offer a premium product within a premium eco system for a premium price. You may not agree with the previous statement but a hell of a lot of folks do and I do not think that they would jeopardize that model that has made them the largest most profitable company in the world, by making the user experience worse unless it was a trade off to prevent a worse user experience. The vast majority of their target demographic is going to do an upgrade in two to three years anyway. In my experience, all the Apple products that I have owned, have lasted longer, been supported with free software longer, worked at near new level longer and had a much higher percentage resale value than any other company's products. I have sold or handed down numerous used iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks, because they still look and function great and have great value. I have never sold or handed down another brand of smart phone or laptop because they usually look and operate like crap after three years and aren't worth squat. So now which company should be accused of planned obsolescence?

Edit to add: We still have three of the original iPads in the family that are still being supported with free software and work just fine. Are they as fast as my daughter's brand new iPad? No, but for an almost 8 year old electronic device with their original batteries, that is pretty impressive IMHO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter01,

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My update for my 6 convinced us to move over to a Pixel 2 on Google Fi. I went from $142 on verizon with a slow Iphone to $55 for myself and the Mrs. I couldnt be happier. I did keep my iPhone 6 and will likely press it into service as a music player and the like. I may look into the battery thing but I will likely need alot to change before going back to apple.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
My update for my 6 convinced us to move over to a Pixel 2 on Google Fi. I went from $142 on verizon with a slow Iphone to $55 for myself and the Mrs. I couldnt be happier. I did keep my iPhone 6 and will likely press it into service as a music player and the like. I may look into the battery thing but I will likely need alot to change before going back to apple.

The wife and I have IPhone 6’s and I’ve been looking at upgrading but I’m not paying $5-800 each for new phones. It looks like Best Buy has the Pixel 2 for $350 right now so that’s not too bad. The IPhone 6 is the most expensive phone I’ve bought and I only paid $99 for it when I got it. It also looks like Google Fi has good cell coverage from their maps.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Some people just want their devices to work.

That's the bottom line. Apple's goals with all its devices is that they should "just work." With as little complexity and as little end-user knowledge of how they work, or how to make them work, as necessary.

TBH: That model does not suit me well, because I'm an IT guy. But I understand it.

Like I said: IMO this is a tempest in a teapot. Would it have been better for Apple to have put a user-configurable setting in the phone, and defaulted it to "go easy on the battery" mode? Perhaps. But I can't fault them for the way they went.

I'm in agreement with ensigmatic here. And I am an IT guy who doesn't want to F with computers or gadgets at all when I leave work. I appreciate Apple for very intuitive configuration areas which are that way by not buying the user in 4,000 decisions like "Do you want your old-ass phone to be slow or die?".

If this down-rate in speed were a simple decision that the IOS makes based on IOS+Device type, I'd agree with the simpler sentiments expressed here, but given that it assesses the battery age, and speeds back up with a healthy battery, then I think this is a legitimate feature to serve the vast majority of their customers better.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
This is BS. I shouldn't have to do anything in order to keep at least the level of performance when I first purchased the device.

To intentionally and artificially slow down the device over time to encourage the purchase of a new device reeks of an absence of honor and integrity. To deny it for so long when caught is corrupt.

There ought to be a HUGE class action suit here.

I buy Apple not because I like it, just hate Google more.

Silicon Valley has lost their fucking minds. Anything for a buck.

I live in Silicon Valley, have a number of neighbors who work for Apple or Google. I know the feeling. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's incredible that these people usually charge 79 dollars to replace a battery?? It should be 29 bucks, permanently.

My wife gave me an iPad Mini and I love it, but I think I'll stick with Android the next time I need a new phone.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
What a giant crock of shit Apple is peddling. I just, JUST, commented in a Apple->Android thread about this bullshit. I used the built-in mail app, safari, iMessage, and the phone app to, you know, make phone calls.

This was a 6S with 64gigs.

iOS 11 hit and my phone was barely usable.

What a crock of shit. If you feel the need to tweak anything, you should tell people. Hey geniuses, why don't you make a more detailed battery health app that explains what you're doing and why? Why the secrets? My work had to spend $600 to get me a phone that worked when I asked it to, because you assholes thought it was appropriate to slow MY hardware down.

I hope people sue Apple's phone division into oblivion. I can't imagine the amount of money that's been wasted because of these dickheads.

Anyone suddenly think it's okay for a dealership to intentionally throttle your car engine, "in order to preserve the wear on your tires", and not tell you?

"Shit man I need a new car, this thing is slow as hell since my last maintenance."

"Oh that was us, we got caught so now we'll just go ahead and tell you that it was all for you."

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's incredible that these people usually charge 79 dollars to replace a battery?? It should be 29 bucks, permanently.....

Ask and ye shall receive

Apple drops battery replacement costs to $29

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's what I was referring to.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's incredible that these people usually charge 79 dollars to replace a battery?? It should be 29 bucks, permanently.

On most Android devices battery replacement isn't an option at any price, unless you're willing to go to a third party or do it yourself--with the attendant risk.

Again: Most iOwners go that way because they want stuff to Just Work. To that end: You can take your iThing (phone, tablet, watch) into an Apple store, they'll replace the battery and give you back a working device.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I can change the battery in my S5 in about 30 seconds.