SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    That's it , no more teaching history , anywhere
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That's it , no more teaching history , anywhere Login/Join 
posted
At least past 100 years or older.

Quit waisting time,energy and money , life is too short.

We have MORE than proven that all kinds of people can learn almost every thing .

Face the facts, everything we need to know going forward in the future we can use from the last hundred years.

The time prior to the current century is irrelevant.

Learning is not the problem,
Decision makeing,
There is the problem.

Every decision that needs to be made for the next 20 years can be made from all the last 99 years information.

So quit it , just stop teaching ancient history.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I understand that you're being sarcastic. But still, those who don't know history, or don't learn from it, are doomed to repeat it.

Q

Posts: 27602 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I don't think you're joking here...

First, ancient history and history from before the 20th century are not one in the same.

I'd say you're very wrong. Democracy's creation, failed attempts at it, Rome's chasm between the rich and poor, technological advances spurring civilization's advancement.

Let's not even get into scientific discoveries, throw out all mathematical rules developed more than 100 years ago. Hell, let's get rid of gravity and Newton while we are at it.

Maybe I missed the sarcasm emoji.

ETA: Okay, I'll admit, I assumed sarcasm but it sounded too good, and there weren't any GD emojis.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6624 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I can see how someone could feel that way. However, what if a hundred years ago, people thought thusly? Where would we be today? Not conversing on the interweb in the comfort of our own homes.

Someone did in fact engage a similar line of reasoning over a hundred years ago. In 1889, Charles H. Duell, the Commissioner of the US patent office, stated that the patent office would soon downsize and be reduced to archival purposes only because, as he put it, "Everything that can be invented has been invented."

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16951 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I don't think they're teaching any history. Frown

Posts: 21373 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are making the same bad decisions that previous societys made 160, 260 and 400 years ago.

Over and over and over again ,
Sure ,sure somebody figured something out,

Take the weaving loom for example

We could still use take advantage of that contraption for long after,
The 200 year mark and eventually we would still invent computers because of it,

But the damage done to many many aspects of society through the bad decision making within the 100 year time span keeps progress to mankind at half the speed of say continental drift .

So the world is much rounder than it is flat, how many conflicts has that stopped?

So we figured out planet movement and some of them have moons .

200 years after those dramatic revelations ,
Are people more tolerant of each other ?
Yes the living conditions and quality of life has made huge progress.

How does one go about connecting all this?

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
You may have a point. Judging from all the cases where it is repeating itself, even with the internet and all the accumulated knowledge of the world ever at one's fingertips, nobody ever seems to learn from history anyway.

Posts: 28685 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
To the current “Gen Z” folks, anything that happened before the date of their birth is Ancient History, and therefore irrelevant. They “live” in the here-and-now in their self-absorbed narcissistic life.

“Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.” ― George Orwell, 1984

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2BobTanner,

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2806 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
In school back in the olden-days when I was a kid, seems all they taught was remembering dates and events. or that is how I remember it.

Today, I view history as much more important ~ mostly to understand on how people thought back then and not so much on what they did or when it was.

I apply it to many areas today in life, being in the technology business I have seen history rapidly change before my eyes and it gives me appreciation of what we have accomplished today.

History is so valuable today and so many are missing it, ever watch those man-on-the-streets interview when kid after kid couldn't even tell you who the current VP is (just picked that stat at random).

So ask them anything about the past they are clueless just as they will be in life. Eek

Posts: 23226 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But how much history is question /concern

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Schools stopped teaching real history at least 30 years ago. Now it is nothing more than spin, agenda and a one-sided view of world events where we are always wrong.

In the not too distant future schools will be teaching that Pearl Harbor was our fault and that 9-11 was blown out of proportion and was just a small group of misunderstood freedom fighters.

Posts: 53839 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
Like they say, studying history doesn't just tell you what happened in the past. It tells you what's happening now.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8887 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I don't think they're teaching any history. Frown

This. You got your wish.

Posts: 13594 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
"There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know."

- Harry S Truman

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
History is what happened, not what people think should have happened or wish had happened. It seems that more of the latter is being taught.

Posts: 28685 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
History is what happened, not what people think should have happened or wish had happened. It seems that more of the latter is being taught.

Not just the "what" which is interesting but more interesting is the "why"? And that is the big lesson in history and the point of contention for conflicting view points.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2081 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think you're being too generous saying a hundred years.
Most don't seem to know anything they can't look up on the internet so that's become the standard, if there is one, and even that is only for ones that would even bother.
Just watch some of those "man on the street" interviews to see how uninformed most people are.
Almost anything that most of us learned in our basic schooling, history, math, geography or science, isn't part of the vocabulary anymore.

Posts: 9831 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If kids want to know how or why or who they can look it up on google.

But how often are they needing to know Plato's uncle or Geo. washingtons nephew ?

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Well the problem with the net is that while you can rapidly find information on just about anything you have zero chance of ever knowing if it hadn’t been adulterated by someone - like Wikipedia. It isn’t a reference or a resource.

The best thing you can do is find an old history book and read it - one that hasn’t been rewritten

Posts: 53839 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The problem I see is that circumstances rarely, if ever, present a definitive answer no matter how much computational power you have at your disposal. You must collect as much data as you can, meaning past history, then make your best statistically sound guess.

"This is what we did in the past, these are the results that were generated, so here's what is to best probability what we should do now."

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16951 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post