SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Metabo grinders really are better
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metabo grinders really are better Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
I have a Craftsman and Makita 4 1/2" angle grinders, and had a 7" Craftsman at one time. I have long heard how much better Metabo grinders are. I got a 6" quick change yesterday and now I get the difference. Where most of the grinders I have used seem to be no more sophisticated than a motor driving a disc, (I suspect higher end models of other brands have some of these features) there appears to be much more with the Metabo. I think everyone else who makes angle grinders allows that any user or industry that relys on grinders on a daily basis, knows Metabo is in a market by themselves, and they'll just stick to the hobby market.

There are several safety features and features that increase usability and decrease fatigue. First is a breakaway clutch that decouples the motor from the disc if the disc binds and may prevent kickback. It'll freewheel and may not break the disc. The guard is very easy to rotate for conditions by pressing a lever instead of requiring a screwdriver. The smoothness and power increases cutting speed and reduces fatigue. There is an electronic control built in that maintains RPM and adjusts to load. The quick change disc attachment means you are no longer tied to a specialized wrench.

This company has made a great commitment to refining, improving, and making angle grinders better and safer, and they have succeeded.

A saftety tip I had never heard is to run a installed disc in a barrel for one minute to test its integrity before using it.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I have a few Hitachi tools including a Hitachi job site table saw.

Hitachi is now Metabo.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
From Wikipedia I see that Metabo is/was a German company with manufacturing in Nurtingen and Shanghai. I wonder where the products sold to the US market are sourced from?

Looks like Hitachi acquired them in 2016 and sold that part of Hitachi in 2017 to HK Holdings.

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
From Wikipedia I see that Metabo is/was a German company with manufacturing in Nurtingen and Shanghai. I wonder where the products sold to the US market are sourced from?

Looks like Hitachi acquired them in 2016 and sold that part of Hitachi in 2017 to HK Holdings.

I think most of the corded grinders are made in Germany.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
When I worked heavy construction the Metabo grinders lasted longest for us, given our use everything wore out.

This was only in the 4”, 7” we used different brands, mostly Makita or Milwaukee.

Metabo was the catch all name for grinders we used them so much, much like “grab the lull” for any forklift.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I never did like the Metabo 4 1/2 grinder. It was to fat in the back for my comfort. Never thought I really had a good grip on it. My last three at work have been Bosch. If you use these things as much has I do the cord shorts out. Bosch is the easiest by far to remove the cord. Cut out the damaged part and reattach.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I never did like the Metabo 4 1/2 grinder. It was to fat in the back for my comfort. Never thought I really had a good grip on it. My last three at work have been Bosch. If you use these things as much has I do the cord shorts out. Bosch is the easiest by far to remove the cord. Cut out the damaged part and reattach.

I see what you mean about the fat grip, I have a damaged thumb joint and even though I have pretty big hands, I don't like to grip things over a few inches in diameter. They make some models with a thinner grip extension, I'd probably like that better.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've got a Metabo, bought it to work on the, now gone, Lotus project.
Have only used it once to trim excess dryer vent & it worked great.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Metabo makes a nice tool

I had one of the bladed paint grinder/strippers. Made stripping 6-8 coats to bare wood a breeze

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Metabo makes a nice tool

I had one of the bladed paint grinder/strippers. Made stripping 6-8 coats to bare wood a breeze

A little research indicates they don't every tool nailed, but I think they do corded grinders.

posted Hide Post
Most of my handheld power tools are Milwaukee. They make some very good equipment.
That said, my disc grinder died recently and I did some comparison shopping. I bought a Metabo 5” grinder and it is a better machine. The soft start is nice as is the speed regulation with changing loads. Powerful as well. A quality tool all around.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Hitachi is now Metabo.

Yes and No.

Metabo HPT are the old Hitachis
https://www.metabo-hpt.com/

Metabo is still a completely different line.
https://www.metabo.com/us/enus/
Most of these if not all still come from Germany. Been a few years since I looked much into it but all the corded grinders were of German origin.

He is referring to these Metabos and not the HPTs. There is still very much a quality difference.

I worked quite a few years in the family owned metal fabrication shop. Metabo grinders were the only ones allowed in the shop.
I never was a really good welder so I had lots of time with the Metabos.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I was a professional welder, I was amazed at how little grinding time the best welders spent. It was embarrassing.

As Ali said about Marciano, I couldn't carry their jock strap.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
quote:

When I was a professional welder, I was amazed at how little grinding time the best welders spent. It was embarrassing.

As Ali said about Marciano, I couldn't carry their jock strap.

Yup, we had a couple fellas that barely used anything more than a slag brush and hammer.

————————————————

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
There's a Canadian youtuber AvE that does BOLTR (Bored of Lame Tool Reviews) tool teardowns. He appears to have engineering, maybe manufacturing and materials experience. His sense of humor is awesome. Here is his review of a Metabo grinder from 6 years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTqv4mfKYEE

It appears not all Metabo grinders have an anti kickback clutch. In their line there are about 10 6" grinders, and the features and model designations are not readily apparent. Different motor power levels, handle configurations, switch types, quick disc attachment. I'll assume most buyers don't know and understand the model lineup and few end up with the model they really want.

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I work with iron workers. It's not called a grinder. It's called a Metabo and if they grind with it, then they're metaboing.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Hitachi is now Metabo.
Yes and No.

Metabo HTP are the old Hitachis
That would be "HPT," not "HTP." Metabo Hitachi Power Tools.

Metabo didn't buy all of Hitachi, just their power tool line.

Last time I bought a Metabo HPT tool (I think it was my framing nailer?) it was indistinguishable from a pre-Metabo Hitachi other than the badge.

Hitachi/Metabo HPT nailers are very good nailers, btw. I'm also more than pleased with my Hitachi drill/impact set. I put Hitachi/Metabo HPT right up there with Milwaukee, Makita, etc.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’ll have to try out the feel of the Metabo when I go to Lowe’s. I have a Milwaukee and I like it, but the switch is a complete POS. It’s a rocker slide switch, which if you barely touch the switch while it’s running, it shuts off. I absolutely hate this thing, solely because of the switch.

With any luck, the Metabo will fit my hand and will have a simple slide switch filled with danger.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I’ll have to try out the feel of the Metabo when I go to Lowe’s. I have a Milwaukee and I like it, but the switch is a complete POS. It’s a rocker slide switch, which if you barely touch the switch while it’s running, it shuts off. I absolutely hate this thing, solely because of the switch.

With any luck, the Metabo will fit my hand and will have a simple slide switch filled with danger.

I've seen three types of switches on Metabo grinders, there may be more. Thumb that rocks to lock, trigger on the rat tail models, and on models with handles about the same diameter as the motor, paddle switches with a dead man realease.

Able to left on is handy but scary. The Metabo I just got has a paddle switch with a release or dead man. I think it is good balance between usability and safety. Holding it on is just part of gripping the tool, but should you lose control of it, it should stop. That seems important because of how powerful this grinder is for its size.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Hitachi is now Metabo.
Yes and No.

Metabo HTP are the old Hitachis
That would be "HPT," not "HTP." Metabo Hitachi Power Tools.

You are correct believe auto correct may have gotten me.

quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

If you are referring to grinders you won’t find the good Metabos there at least the do not have them here or online, just the HPT which is pretty much identical to the old Hitachi line of tools.

You’ll likely have to find a commercial shop near your for the true Metabos

————————————————