SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woodworkers: Saw set tool recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodworkers: Saw set tool recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
I have a bunch of old hand saws that have never been sharpened, but look like they have some life left in them, so:

I'm looking for a saw set tool. Searching on Amazon, the reviews are all over the place, most are for something different entirely to the tool on the page and thus worse than useless for sorting the wheat from the chaff.

What do you like?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Somewhere I have one I picked up from ebay. Dunno brand, but I'm going to be looking for it and figuring out how to sharpen pretty soon. I've got some older saws that are definitely serviceable, and one Veritas dovetail saw that is starting to give me some lip (I want to get some experience before starting that one as it's a 22 TPI vs the 11-14 of the other saws I've got).

I've got the files, just need to find the set and time. Let me know how your adventure goes.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'll need to pick up some taper files too. That will be next on my list.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I've also got a sharpening vise. Theoretically you can get the same effect using some clamps/a regular vise and pieces of wood, but it's definitely easier with the right equipment. Much simpler to handle.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how often a forum post can revive memories of the good old days!

I have a couple that need some attention.
We had a set and files and could do it but just left it to a pro.
He came around and picked up/dropped off every week at the local lumber yards.

Did our circular saw blades mostly but also hand saws. He could also replace damaged or missing teeth on a carbide tooth blade. Was pretty cheap back in the day and did a perfect job.

I wonder if anyone still does that.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I don't really have an answer for you, but I did want to ask a question. Why not just drop them to a local shop and have them sharpen the saws for you? I have a local guy that is reasonably priced and does good work, so I let him deal wit my blades.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Can't answer for OP, but there's nobody at my local shop to do it. I found some places online but I'd rather not if I can avoid it. It's also been a skill I've been wanting to learn for a few years now.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Worst case scenario, you can get a triangle file and make them at least serviceable until you get the right setup.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I don't really have an answer for you, but I did want to ask a question. Why not just drop them to a local shop and have them sharpen the saws for you? I have a local guy that is reasonably priced and does good work, so I let him deal wit my blades.

I have no idea if there's anyone local that does it. I have plenty of time so I thought I'd give it a whirl myself.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Hi Bigdeal: Please let me know what shop you use. I've got handsaws and circular saw blades that need attention.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12795 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Hi Bigdeal: Please let me know what shop you use. I've got handsaws and circular saw blades that need attention.
Dan's Saw on South Orange Avenue

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Make sure what type of handsaws you have. Crosscut saws and rip saws each take a different kind of set. Most will probably be crosscut, as hand rip saws are less common, but they are out there.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Make sure what type of handsaws you have. Crosscut saws and rip saws each take a different kind of set. Most will probably be crosscut, as hand rip saws are less common, but they are out there.

If it's advertised as a dovetail saw it's probably a rip saw. I know that's what Veritas does.

If you know what you're doing you can set any saw up any way you want. What I got from trying to figure out how to do it was to just go for it and figure it out as you go. Chances are, you'll be better off than when you started.

Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
How about one of these or something similar!

Saw sharpener

I have bought this guys adjustable wrenches and they are awesome.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3873 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
How about one of these or something similar!

Saw sharpener

I have bought this guys adjustable wrenches and they are awesome.

Well, his wrenches may be spectacular, but he doesn't sell a saw set.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Dan's Saw on South Orange Avenue

Thank you, sir!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12795 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post