SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What weekends looked like for a kid in the 80's
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What weekends looked like for a kid in the 80's Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I took my Glenfield .22 to school in 6th grade for show n tell! Boys bringing in their firearms for show n tell was pretty common… can you imagine?!
I had the wander lust pretty bad so in ‘72 at the ripe old age of 17,I hitched across the country from upstate NY to visit my sister in San Diego. Two months on the road.
I wouldn’t try any of that stuff as a young person today.

Posts: 88 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born in 1958 the 60s and 70s growing up bb gun wars in the woods,homemade bombs in said woods,stolen beer,dirt bikes,shit,we had a literal BLAST.No helmets on dirt bikes either.To be young again.

Posts: 95 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oscars father:
I took my Glenfield .22 to school in 6th grade for show n tell! Boys bringing in their firearms for show n tell was pretty common… can you imagine?!

Yep. Took my dad's Highway Patrolman (357) to show-and-tell in the 4th grade. Everybody thought it was cool.

Hitchhiked a few thousand miles myself way back when.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smear the queer! I remember playing that. Perhaps a few things that passed the statute of limitations also. Wink

Posts: 981 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MGMAN45:
Born in 1958 the 60s and 70s growing up bb gun wars in the woods,homemade bombs in said woods,stolen beer,dirt bikes,shit,we had a literal BLAST.No helmets on dirt bikes either.To be young again.

What he said! LOL Born 1960 life was grand, we ran all day drank from who ever's hose and didn't ever have to worry if the guy who picked you up hitch hiking was going to kill or rape you. OMG LIFE was sooooooooooooooo much better then.

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in suburban San Jose. We had the creek a few blocks away would catch tadpoles and keep as pets till they turned into frogs and turn them loose. And a big open field ( long since built into houses) and there was a half mile long ravine/gully we would call dare devils ditch. We’d ride down it on our BMX bikes like a half pipe. Sometimes the line of guys waiting was a few minutes becuase nobody wanted to be coming down the hill at speed and if a guy crashed you’d ride over him and crash so we self maintained our distance between runs. Didn’t need any adults to supervise. There would be groups of kids from other neighborhoods and we’d all get along fine. What good memories. That same big field was used for model rocket launches and RC car racing as well. And we had Atari 2600. My one friend who had parents that seemed better off got a Nintendo the first month they came out.

We recently moved to semi rural florida and my property has woods and a year round creek in it. There are 2 little boys for neighbors I think they are 3rd and 5th grade I see them down in those woods and the creek often as there are no fences between lots. They are quite capable and know not to monkey with any cottonmouths.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I think one reason we enjoy these threads is because it resembles the 'confessions' that used to come out once at least a couple of us were mostly grown and out of the house. Ours used to be at Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner tables.

There was definitely something special going on during those confessionals. LOTS of laughs. I really miss them now.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I think one reason we enjoy these threads is because it resembles the 'confessions' that used to come out once at least a couple of us were mostly grown and out of the house. Ours used to be at Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner tables.

There was definitely something special going on during those confessionals. LOTS of laughs. I really miss them now.

Definitely fun to 'confess' some of the foolish stuff I did with my dad & get some similar stories from him when he was that age.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15388 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post